Wedding Cake Advice

Business By karateka Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm by whimsette

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 4

I got an inquiry from a lady who got engaged on the roof of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC while a Jeff Koons art exhibit was going on. She wants the cake to be a replica of the museum with the art on top.

Now, I doubt that I'd have copyright problems with the museum itself....but surely the artist would not appreciate me making a sugar replica of his art, right?

Should I write him directly? Or would you just do the cake and cross your fingers? Which, I must say, although tempting, is something I say right on my website that I don't do.

Do you think the museum would present a problem?

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 4

I would check first........that's just personally. I'm sure the artist would probably be flattered.....at least he SHOULD BE!!! I can't see how the museum would present a problem, I mean Duff makes replicas of all sorts of buildings, I highly doubt he gets permission from the owners of EVERY building in Baltimore or New york when he does a skyline cake....I would think it coudn't hurt to ask the artist though.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe talk with the museum and see what they say. They could contact the artist for you. Or, if it says on your website that is something you don't do, tell the bride she must get written premission from the artist. Let her do the leg work. The artist may also be flattered that his work is recreated in sugar. icon_smile.gif

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 4

Since you're the one making the cake, the legal liability ultimately falls on you to get permission to copy someone else's work.

I'd ask the museum for his contact info. It's likely you'll have to go through his agent/management and not the artist directly. That can take some time so get started on that ASAP to avoid any delays.

Good luck! It sounds like an awesome opportunity and fun project!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%