Help! Need Rec On A Better Cookie Sheet - Taking Too Long!

Baking By TracyLH Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm by Narie

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:58am
post #1 of 19

I thought I saw a posting about what kind of cookie sheets everyone liked, but I am having no luck finding it. What kind of cookie sheets do you all like? I am have been using the AirBake for years and they are nice as they are double layered so over-browning is not such an issue, but these take forever to bake cookies! With one cookie sheet in at a time, it takes me about 22 - 25 minutes at 350 (that's all my oven can hack). It was up until 1 am last night as I had 6 sheets to do. Almost three hours to do 6 sheets is ludicrious!

Any thoughts on a faster-but-still-good cookie sheet? Any help would be much appreciated! I am getting a convection oven, so that theoreticially will help, but I think I still need different cookie sheets.

Thanks!

18 replies
SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 19

Here's that thread, but people might want to add more.http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6025898-.html#6025898

TracyLH Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks SweetDreamsAT! thumbs_up.gif I couldn't find it! I have got to figure out how to get these out of the oven sooner!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 19

Tracy -

I have a convection oven and use airbake cookie sheets. At 365 degrees it takes 9 minutes to bake a batch. Have you checked the temp calibration on your oven?

ps. get the convection oven quick...you'll LOVE it!!!!!!!!!

TracyLH Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 19

bakinccc - 9 minutes!!! icon_eek.gif Yippee! (Doing the happy dance... and I don't need to buy other cookie sheets!). The oven is being ordered next week, so only about another 6 weeks of Slow-poke Ville. How many sheets can you do at a time?

Thanks for the great news!! icon_biggrin.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 19

I have a convection oven, too, and it took 8 minutes to bake a batch of 2" cookies last night--on the large AirBake sheets. Bigger cookies might take a couple of minutes more, and my really BIG cookies (talking 8" here) take about 15 minutes, tops.

I can do 2 big sheets at a time, so four sheets take less than 20 minutes to bake. One thing that I do when baking multiple sheets is swap the sheets halfway through baking, so that the one that was on the upper shelf is on the lower shelf, and vice versa.

I agree that, even with AirBake, your oven must be miscalibrated to take that long.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 19

with my convection oven I've baked three (airbake) sheets at a time with 9 cookies on each so 27 cookies at a time! Love it. When I do two sheets I rotate them on their own shelf half way through, but if I do three sheets I change them around on the racks and rotate too. When you get your new oven let us know how you like it!

TracyLH Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 19

I have two other guages in the oven, but I wouldn't bet they are correct. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it is because I make my cookies almost 3/8" thick? I also chill my cutout cookies right on the sheets and pop them in the freezer for about 15 min, before baking, so I am likely shooting myself in the foot. This is all an attempt to get a thick cookie that doesn't spread horribly. Would love to go to 1/2", but the spreading is problematic.

So before I commence the Happy Dance and I get all excited with the convection oven concept, with the times you are doing, how thick do you make yours? Do you chill your sheets as well?

Thanks for the help! icon_biggrin.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 19

I do pretty much the same thing, Tracy. I cut mine 3/8, chill on the sheet in the freezer. I bake mine for about 11 minutes in a regular ol' oven. I like a teency-weency bit of browning around the edges.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 19

I have never liked those air-bake sheets. icon_cry.gif

If browning is the big issue for you, just use parchment paper. Perfect cookie color every single time. I have now discovered why bakery cookies were always so consistenty the same shape and color ... cookie scoops and parchment paper!!

And I can SO relate to how long it takes!! When I was baking at home, my daily cookie order of 300/day took me 4.5 hours to bake every single day. Now I can bake those same 300 cookies in 30 minutes.

TracyLH Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:07am
post #11 of 19

Indydebi - Wow! You really shaved some time off! thumbs_up.gif But I am guessing that is because you are using a big, professional oven now, or maybe you switched to convection. Either way, that is great! Browning hasn't been the issue for me, it has been the time factor. What kind of cookie sheets do you use?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:13am
post #12 of 19

Yes, it's because I switched to a double convection comm'l oven (I can bake 10 cookie sheets at one time, with 35 cookies per sheet). I use the regular bakery 18x26 baking sheets.

TracyLH Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:16am
post #13 of 19

Oh, that makes sense! I am getting a single convection oven and am counting down the days! Thanks for telling me about your sheets!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 19

I love the doughmaker cookie sheets. They make the cookies come out perfect. I actually use their jellyroll pan.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/doughmakers/?gcid=S11992x044&keyword=doughmaker&matchtype=search&gclid=CLX7vtzUjZYCFRJdxwodHBfyEw

TracyLH Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks, Deetmar! All of this info is SO much appreciated!

Honeydukes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yes, it's because I switched to a double convection comm'l oven (I can bake 10 cookie sheets at one time, with 35 cookies per sheet). I use the regular bakery 18x26 baking sheets.

SHUT UP!!! TEN cookie sheets!!! When I grow up I want to be able to bake ten cookie sheets at a time!

It'd be a waste, really. icon_rolleyes.gif I don't usually do more than 35 at a time. But boy howdy, it'd go fast! thumbs_up.gif

TracyLH Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:48am
post #17 of 19

Oh, I could handle 10 cookies sheets at a time... if I could clone myself ten time over!!! icon_lol.gif I decorate so insanely slow!

Honeydukes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

SHUT UP!!! TEN cookie sheets!!! When I grow up I want to be able to bake ten cookie sheets at a time!

It'd be a waste, really. icon_rolleyes.gif I don't usually do more than 35 at a time. But boy howdy, it'd go fast! thumbs_up.gif

I meant to say 35 COOKIES at a time. (Ya'll got that right?) The most I've ever done at once was 250 for my sister's wedding.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

just use parchment paper. Perfect cookie color every single time. I have now discovered why bakery cookies were always so consistenty the same shape and color ... cookie scoops and parchment paper!!

Amen to that! I use all the cookie sheets I own including my grandmother's - haven't a clue as to how old they are- and my good, heavy aluminum ones. If I use parchment paper, it doesn't matter which ones I use. The cookies brown perfectly. The scoops make dishing them out a breeze, and you do wind up with a consistent size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%