Cake Batter, 24 Hrs Old

Decorating By Sandy2008 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm by MacsMom

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:38am
post #1 of 9

I made the key lime cake last night but realized my pans were too big for one mix. I needed two. I didn't have time to go get it so I poured the batter out of the pans and into a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge overnight. I didn't bake it because I tint the batter with a little sky blue coloring to make the cake look lime colored and I wanted both layers to be the same shade. My question is-since the key lime batter has almost the juice of 3 limes in it, is it ok to sit for 24 hours in the fridge with the egg in the batter too? I put pancake batter in the fridge overnight once and it wasn't good the next day. I don't want to waste it, but I need to know if it will be ok to back tonight. Anyone ever leave batter uncooked and then use it? Thanks for your help.

8 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:52am
post #2 of 9

I have doubts it will rise. It's not a matter of being spoiled, but just not "working" properly.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 9

I agree, especially since there is lime juice in there with one box recipe, it almost starts to "cook". I would be safe and start over for your order, but cook that one for home and see how it is. Sometimes we learn new things from experimenting. If you do bake it, let us know how it is.
Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

Can't speak to the lime juice issue, but I hold regular batters all the time. In fact I have a huge bucket of white cake batter in the fridge right now.
Bake it up and let us know!

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 9

Ohhh I would love to know your results on this! Sometimes I have left over batter and want to make it the next day. Please let us know if you bake it up and how it goes!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the info. I will bake it up just to see what happens, but I'll make more the the one I plan on using. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Can't speak to the lime juice issue, but I hold regular batters all the time. In fact I have a huge bucket of white cake batter in the fridge right now.
Bake it up and let us know!

That's good to know! Do you need to do anything before you bake the cake batter that has been in the fridge...like mix it again with your mixer or let it come to room temperature?

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 9

I have also used cake batter that has been in the fridge for the next day. it has always turned out good. but, I don't know about the lime juice icon_rolleyes.gif hth icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 9

I have also kept batter in the fridge overnight and it's fine. I can't see why lime juice would make a difference. Let us know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%