Theknot.com

Business By CakeForte Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 7:11am by loriemoms

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:46am
post #1 of 11

Do you advertise with them? Do you like it?

For me, its sent enough qualified leads that it has paid for itself. I'm on all of the free listing sites as well...but haven't gotten anything from those.

10 replies
Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:49am
post #2 of 11

I love The Knot! For me it has more than paid for itself !!!!! My business has really taken off since I started advertising on The Knot.

AllCakedOut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllCakedOut Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 11

It depends on your area, and what you offer. In my area, *everyone* that I know hates the knot. I had a bad experience, and most people I know were thrilled when their contract expired.

I'm on the higher end of the price scale, and locally the knot brides are .. budget brides. Lots of DIY, getting uncle whatever to photograph the wedding, etc etc.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 11

I'm with Allcaked out, it didn't work well for me, and everyone I know hates it too. The girls on there in my area tend to go on and ask each other "who's cheapest," so it sounds like the same bargain-hunter situation.

I've heard that it does work well for a lot of people in other regions, so it depends on your area. If it's working for you that's great, just make sure that you ask people how they found you to make sure that it's still sending people (people who book with you, not just inquiries) to you.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 11

I just signed up, so I'll find out when my ad runs in November. Someone in my area says it pays for itself every month. I am on a few free sites as well, actually just got a tasting booking from WeddingWire!!!!

My latest bride who just sent me a testimonial has an account on The Knot ...and most of my bridal orders HAVE been "DIY" because they are piecing together their own wedding rather than having the planner do it all or the caterer....I don't get many planner orders yet, and of course I don't cater...so I do need DIY orders for now! Although my prices are closer, but not quite equal to, the higher end cakeries.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 11

I've been on it for 4-5 years. Couldn't imagine trying to do this business without it. In rough numbers (cant' remember the exact number right now .... ) I spend about $1500 a year and in 2008, I've booked somewhere between $5000 and $7000 from it.

The bride for the wedding this coming Saturday is on the knot ... she's become my best advertiser and has sent me 2 other "knotties" just from her word of mouth ... and we haven't even done her wedding yet.

Best advertising dollar I've ever spent.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 11

I agree....I've been with the knot about 4 years as well and get about half of business from there. I want to increase my ad dollars with them...but can't right now. Hopefully next year.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 11

Great info!! Thanks to all! It is in my plans to do The Knot, maybe in a couple of months I'll sign up! Now, just out of curiousity, what other FREE sites do you advertise on? I would like to do that as well. Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #9 of 11

www.allwedding.com
www.bridepros.com
www.decidio.com (must pay for each lead, though)
www.eventective.com (must pay for each lead, though)
www.gatheringguide.com
www.kudzu.com
www.wedalert.com
www.weddingwire.com
www.weddingbook.com

I'm sure there are others....

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #10 of 11

Holly Cow! Thanks Debi!!!!!!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:11am
post #11 of 11

I advertised for about 6 months and used my option to pull the ad..I got like three brides out of it. So I agree, depends on your area. At the seminar at the expo on marketing, they said alot of brides don't use the knot to book vendors, especially bakeries, but use it for "information" and ideas, and it in most cases, it wasn't worth advertising for bakeries. I now have brides who heard about me on the knot, because they read other bride's blogs on there....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%