In Search Of The Icing"holy Grail"not Too Sweet, B

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 4:48am by cuteums

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 14

OK... I have struggled to find an icing I can decorate with that people will like. Fondant... they don't like the texture and too sweet, xxx buttercream too sweet and consistency not liked. Now I love the merengue buttercreams but I have been told that people don't like all that butter...filmy feel in the mouth. What the heck is left???? I get so frustrated....

What do those NY Italian bakeries use? It's light, creamy tasting and they decorate with it too........?

13 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 14

You are asking the same question I have had for a loooooooong time!!! What I thought was my best icing doesn't smooth well, so I have trouble getting those beautiful cakes. The ones based with lots of Crisco do not taste good..... the IMBC tastes like a stick a butta....

I want to know what Duff uses too....and all the others. I swear, I think alot of them use bucket icing...maybe? icon_smile.gif Great question - I'll be watching it!!

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

....and all the others. I swear, I think alot of them use bucket icing...maybe? icon_smile.gif Great question - I'll be watching it!!

I have been using bucket icing for a few months now, and will never go back! icon_biggrin.gif I switched to Dixieâs Icing, and all my customers love it. thumbs_up.gif It tastes great, not too sweet, or greasy. It is also the best icing ever to decorate with, needs no refrigeration, no mixing, whipping, thinning, thickening, just use it right out of the bucket. It takes colors great, but if you really want to be lazy you can get it in 20 pre-made colors.

http://web.mac.com/dixiesicing/Site/IcingVideoFull_.html

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 14

Have you tried the Whimsical Bakehouse House buttercream recipe? If you do a forum search, I think the recipe is on here somewhere. I really like it...fluffy and not too sweet. It also makes a great filling when mixed with other things (oreos, etc!). Maybe you could try that? Hope that helps!

Jopalis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 14

I have not tried WBH bc yet but isn't that another merengue icing with lots of butter? I like those icings myself but I am having trouble with folks not liking that buttery/filmy feel in their mouth. With fondant they don't like taste or texture...any fondant, with xxx bc, they don't like how sweet it is or that xxx feel & taste... w/merengue icings..cooked syrup, egg whites or yolks or whole eggs & lots of butter... well...as stated above. I want to scream and throw the cake at them! LOL! It really limits what you can decorate with... I like all those icings but favor merengue and ganache. I may have to try the one that uses a cooked flour type mixture first. But I want to use regular granulated sugar... Still in search of "The Icing Grail"... thank you!

MOBOGAL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOBOGAL Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 14

No...the house buttercream is not a meringue based buttercream (Kaye's buttercream from the same book is). I really like this recipe...it is not too sweet, fluffy, and goes with everything! Surprisingly, it also doesn't leave that greasy feeling in your mouth (which I hate!) You can also add lots of things to it to make a filling (dulce de leche, chocolate, etc). Here's the recipe:

Whimsical Bake House Buttercream

In mixer bowl, stir together:

6 cups powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Using whip attachment, add and whip on low speed:

1 cup boiling water (3/4 cup on hot days)

Whip until smooth and is cool.

Add and whip until smooth again:

2 3/4 cup hi-ratio shortening or regular vegetable shortening
6oz (1 1/2 sticks) butter; slightly chilled and cut into 1" pieces

Turn up mixer to medium-high. Whip until double in volume and is light and fluffy. About 10-20 minutes. recipe will almost fill a 5qt mixer bowl when done.

Makes 9 1/2 cups

For chocolate buttercream exchange 1 cup of powdered sugar for powdered cocoa.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 14

That WBH buttercream sounds very interesting. I have to bake a cake and try it out (been looking for an excuse to bake all day icon_lol.gif )

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 14

I thought the butter taste of IMBC was overwhelming too the first time I made it, but when you use unsalted butter and put in melted and cooled white chocolate, it's awesome.

Icings made with Crisco, a lot of the time, tend to have a greasier feel because Crisco and shortenings have a higher melting temperature than butter. Butter melts basically at body temperature, and Crisco around 140 I think, which is why shortening icings feel greasy.

Try the white chocolate IMBC....unsalted butter. It's fabulous.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 14

the WBH house BC was my first successful attempt at BC. I like it too because it's not too sweet and it's fluffy. You can pipe with it too. But I have to say that SMBC is really the best tasting one I've tried so far. I just love it.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

....and all the others. I swear, I think alot of them use bucket icing...maybe? icon_smile.gif Great question - I'll be watching it!!

I have been using bucket icing for a few months now, and will never go back! icon_biggrin.gif I switched to Dixieâs Icing, and all my customers love it. thumbs_up.gif It tastes great, not too sweet, or greasy. It is also the best icing ever to decorate with, needs no refrigeration, no mixing, whipping, thinning, thickening, just use it right out of the bucket. It takes colors great, but if you really want to be lazy you can get it in 20 pre-made colors.

http://web.mac.com/dixiesicing/Site/IcingVideoFull_.html

Have you tried the Sam's bucket icing? If so, how does it compare to the Dixie? I began using the Sams a couple of months ago and I am in LOVE with how easy it is to spread (has air bubbles, which kinda stinks but theyre not too difficult to work around)! The taste is actually pretty good, thought I do add vanilla. People always rave about it (ive actually had quite a few clients ask me how I make such good icing icon_confused.gif) What sold me on it though, is the price! $28/ 5 gallon bucket!!!!! No way in heck I could make it that cheap. I would still love to be able to make an AWESOME BC, but Im still working on that icon_rolleyes.gif Im tempted to order the dixie just to compare, but it is a bit more than the Sams and I'd have to pay shipping.... sooooo just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried both.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulieatkins

Im tempted to order the dixie just to compare, but it is a bit more than the Sams and I'd have to pay shipping.... sooooo just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried both.

I haven't tried either but did you notice there is a sample pack on the Dixie website, for $15 including shipping??

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #12 of 14

I swear by hi-ratio shortening.. and Sharon's Sugarshack buttercream and icing technique....

THE BEST!!!!

Jopalis Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:22am
post #13 of 14

I didn't realize there were so many more postings to this. Cool.... I haven't tried that WBH bc icing. I'll give it a shot. Thanks. I made the WBH spice cake the other day. It has buttermilk in it and it is wonderful. Make the house smell like Fall. I used a spicy rum merengue icing that uses whole eggs. I thought it was amazing but some thought too buttery. I did flower piping and borders with Colette's bc and tinted it with a bit of brown and added spices to that too. It was yummy. Also it was my first time using upside down method to ice a cake. I am sold. I made a couple of mistakes but in all I got this amazing smooth top. The merengue icings work great with this technique.

the mums are gold and like a reddish brown (I wanted maroon).

I can't open the picture I posted in this thread. I posted the cake in my pics. Doesn't look that special but it is amazingly smooth and it was delicious.
LL

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 4:48am
post #14 of 14

I love sugar shack's recipe but I changed a few things. Instead of using powdered non dairy creamer, I use the liquid french vanilla non dairy creamer and heat that up. It has an awesome vanilla taste. I also can't get my hands on her flavoring or high ratio shortening so I just use vanilla and a 1:1 ratio of shortening (w/ trans fat) and unsalted margarine. Fleischmans makes the unsalted one. It's yummy. The only thing is with the vanilla and the margarine it is an off white ivory color - it's not pure white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%