Not A Diasaster More Of A Slap In The Face

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm by angelatx

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTs

. I have a cousin, you know the one aka "THE SHISTER", .

How can you have a cousin that is your shister? Then again if your shister is a shyster that is a whole different story.

Mike

Deanna1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deanna1210 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #62 of 74

I would contact the daughter and tell her that her mother only gave you a check for $150. You can tell her you are a bit confused, because the price for the cake was $200 (also let her know what a HUGE discount she got) and you were also surprised that the check came from the mother. Then ask her who is responsible for the remaining $50 balance. I personally won't make any cakes for people at my church anymore because they totally try to take advantage! Nice christians, huh? Whatever you do, don't give the money back and at least try to get the balance in a tactful way. Good luck!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #63 of 74

Jackie,
Another Sunday has rolled around. How did things go at Church today?
Did the cake get brought up?

-Debbie B.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #64 of 74

I also didnât see where you told them well beforehand how much the cake would cost.

I do completely understand where you are coming from though. I get why you are reluctant to make a fuss about this. But having been in a similar situation I can tell you that those bitter feelings donât completely go away. At least in my situation I donât have to see the person on a weekly basis, you donât have that luxury. I would probably say something to the daughter to let her know what kinds of discounts youâve already given them above the $50.00 she shorted you.

I also wouldnât lie and tell them you arenât doing cakes anymore. Iâd be honest and I bet she would appreciate that. I canât tell you how many times Iâve done something to offend someone without knowing it and instead of confronting me they just let it fester until it practically ruined a perfectly good relationship.

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:07pm
post #65 of 74

Unfortunately it happens all the time, we are expected to "donate" whatever we do for the church, but if this is how you make a living I would just stop doing business with them and keep attending services as you've always had. If you continue to do work for them and something happens again, it will hurt you more. Believe me just keep your eyes fixed on the Lord.
Blessings

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #66 of 74

I havent attend church since last Sunday night I have came down with a nasty cold . I will not be telling a lie I am not going to do cakes anymore this was just the stick that broke the camels back so to speak . I havent had any formal training just the Wilton Classes and that was three years ago. Maybe in the future if I could attend the Master Course I might reconsider my decision but for now Im done . I have one more cake due the 17 th of this month and no more . I will do my daughters wedding cake and for my immediate family no one else .

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #67 of 74

Don't think that just because you have no "formal" training, that your work isn't good. (I've never taken a class and I figure I'm not TOO bad at this. icon_wink.gif )

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:00am
post #68 of 74

Oh Jackie I'm sorry to hear that this unfortunate experience has led you to make the decision to no longer make cakes. I pray that in time these bad feelings will fade and that once again you will want to sell your cakes.

When I first read your opening post my reaction was "these people are trying to get away with something by shortchanging her", but, after reading through and thinking about it more I've changed my mind.

Seeing that you had always donated cakes in the past to the church and there was no price quote or contract prior to consumption of the cake, I now think that they were just shocked with the price. Having never paid before, they assumed it was going to be "warehouse pricing".

Saying that though, I still believe the daughter handled an akward situation incorrectly.....and now in turn this has led to your hurt feelings and you giving up something that you are obviously passionate about.

I think if they knew how you are feeling right now they would feel horrible and offer to pay you the balance. By not being honest with them, they don't have the chance to correct the situation. I urge you to give them the opportunity to make this right, so that you can have a clear heart and return to the church.

Than if you receive a request for another cake you can say that with the rising cost of ingredients and utilities, you regret that you can no longer donate your cakes. But, you will be happy to "sell" them one at a "pre agreed and contracted" price.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:04am
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Than if you receive a request for another cake you can say that with the rising cost of ingredients and utilities, you regret that you can no longer donate your cakes. But, you will be happy to "sell" them one at a "pre agreed and contracted" price.

Good phrasing suggestion! thumbs_up.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #70 of 74

People do make honest mistakes, too. I know you might think it would be impossible to be told $200 and to make a mistake and later think you had been told $150, but some people are very bad with numbers, or have very poor memories... these type of mistakes CAN and DO happen when there is not a written invoice.

It would be a terrible shame if you are giving up on making cakes and feeling that your talent is being devalued, etc. when it might really just be an honest mistake.

You'll never know unless you find out. If you decide to approach the daughter, do so with an open mind and heart, a willingness to listen to her side of the story, and it might even be a nice touch to offer an apology for not providing a written quote ahead of the event. (A Christian seminar I once attended suggested we should try giving a "gift" -- tangible or figurative -- to anyone toward whom we are feeling resentful. I have found it to be a very positive and healing practice! The apology would be a figurative gift.)

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:13am
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie64

Its not worth the trouble it will cause and trust me it will more than likely. I was hurt by it and I have learned a very valuable lesson , some pay a much bigger price to learn a life lesson and I dont mean just monetarily . So I feel lucky that it was no more than that . A lot of people just do not understand what it takes to make a cake like that its just cake to most people we all know that. I lived before I got paid for the cake and I will live just fine without it. This is how I look at it If they can live with it I can live without it as well I am a person of Honor I go by the Honor system I carry myself with a high degree of dignity and respect and that is something no one can take from me. When I deal with people they can be assured I have been fair and thats a reputation I am going to keep. I will no longer be making cakes for anyone at church its just better that way.And if I am ask I am going to tell them I no longer do cakes .

I can most definately understand your frustration, but you deciding not to do cakes for anyone from church may stop potential 'good' clients.
It just desen't seem fair on yourself, what if someone wants to spend a fair amount of money? (someone that WILL actually pay icon_biggrin.gif ).
Only you know whats best for you but try not to punish yourself for this matter icon_smile.gif

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie64

I havent attend church since last Sunday night I have came down with a nasty cold . I will not be telling a lie I am not going to do cakes anymore this was just the stick that broke the camels back so to speak . I havent had any formal training just the Wilton Classes and that was three years ago. Maybe in the future if I could attend the Master Course I might reconsider my decision but for now Im done . I have one more cake due the 17 th of this month and no more . I will do my daughters wedding cake and for my immediate family no one else .

Please don't give up doing cakes if it something you really love doing. You can take a break but I'd bet that you are back decorating in a year icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif keep your equipment because its a lifelong addiction. I know you said that this is a lesson learned... treat it that way. A lesson means that you will learn and change, not give up. The next time that you are asked to do a cake make sure you are paid the WHOLE amount in advance. Pricing can be difficult to discuss but easier if put in writing and handed over, like a folded check. If you are approached and would like to donate then write up the description and 'donation' instead of price. That way it is clear for everyone.

MolliHeartsDecoratingCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MolliHeartsDecoratingCake Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna1210

I would contact the daughter and tell her that her mother only gave you a check for $150. You can tell her you are a bit confused, because the price for the cake was $200 (also let her know what a HUGE discount she got) and you were also surprised that the check came from the mother. Then ask her who is responsible for the remaining $50 balance. I personally won't make any cakes for people at my church anymore because they totally try to take advantage! Nice christians, huh? Whatever you do, don't give the money back and at least try to get the balance in a tactful way. Good luck!

Hit her hard on the fact that you could have charged SOOO much more! I wouldn't act confused, though, bad idea. it might backfire.

M

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #74 of 74

hi jackie, i hope you are doing well and that things worked ok for you. have a super sweet day!
Angela icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%