Whipped Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 3:43am by sttgirl

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 5

Can I used a whipped icing, like Bettercreme (sp?!) underneath fondant, or is it just too soft? Regular BC are so sweet, and then add the sweetness of fondant, and it's just too much sweetness for me! Also, many adults don't seem to care for BC, but they all love the light (and less sweet) flavor or a whipped icing. Maybe I need to get brave and try IMBC or SMBC.....but dang, that's a lot of butter! I have a feeling that's an accquired taste? Thank you!

4 replies
tammynblake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammynblake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:34am
post #2 of 5

Callyssa, I'm sorry I can't help you with the icing question, but I have a question for you. I have never put fondant on a cake b/c I bought some fondant just to taste and it was awful. Do you put icing under fondant to better the taste? Do you flavor the fondant? It makes beautiful cakes and have been wanting to try one but I'm afraid of ruining the taste.

Tammy

sttgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sttgirl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure how the Bettercreme differs from a stabilized whipped cream icing but fondant accents that I have placed on that particular icing will generally soften and bleed I assume it is because the icing is really 'wet'. Someone else may have tried covering an entire cake with fondant and may be able to advise you much better. It would be great if it works!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 5

Tammy,
You wouldn't put just fondant on a cake without frosting it first. The frosting makes it stick. Although fondant can be beautiful on a cake, most people peel off the fondant before eating it...I find it too sweet and chewy. The Wilton fondant is yucky but there are other brands that are OK. Marshmallow Fondant (MMF), is a homemade version that can be flavored and is quite tasty. The recipe for MMF is in the recipe section.
Hope this helps and welcome to CC.

sttgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sttgirl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 5

I forgot to add that if you like a less sweet icing, the SMBC is a good option. I have tried the recipe provided by jkalman and it works really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%