What Is Royal Icing Supposed To Taste Like?

Decorating By mandifrye Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm by JenniferMI

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 11

Okay - I just made my first batch of RI. I used Antonia74's recipe. My plans were to make a batch and take out part for a cake (lillypad, as per my earlier post) and use the rest on the 5 cookie bouquets for next week.

Normally, I use Jennifer Dontz's fondant on my cookies with Toba's Glace details. But, I thought that I would try the outlining and flooding method. However, mine is not very tasty. It even has a bitter aftertaste. I know that it isn't the vanilla or almond in it (it tasted that way before, that is why I added it!) I just can't imagine a cookie being as good covered with it! icon_cry.gif

Is it supposed to taste a little different or did I do something wrong. I think I whipped for over 10 minutes, could that have made it bitter? Or, is it okay?

HELP, PLEASE!

P.S. I really liked working with it on my lillypad!

10 replies
mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 11

anyone? icon_confused.gif

mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:29am
post #3 of 11

help, please!!! icon_cry.gif

I am begging my CC members!! icon_lol.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #4 of 11

Your royal will lose that bitterness once it's dry. It's almost a sour/lemony kind of taste, right? I got that from one can of meringue (Wilton) that I used, but the next can tastes fine. In fact, my daughter kept going back to my decorating bag that I had left over from "gluing" things yesterday and squirting the royal onto her finger to eat it! Don't judge by how it tastes when it's still wet; you will be surprised how the flavor changes once it's dry. It tastes exactly like those little candy roses, etc. that you get at the grocery store to put on birthday cakes.

I don't think you overwhipped your icing, but I wouldn't go any longer than ten minutes.

Also, I did notice when I made my royal thicker it tasted better when it was still wet. Good luck!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:54am
post #5 of 11

I almost forgot; Antonia's RI has cream of tartar in it, that could also give a soury kind of taste. I think that was the recipe I used the first time also. The one I'm using now is just meringue, water, powdered sugar, and glycerine if you want it (to keep it a little softer). Even still, Antonia's tasted fine once dry.

mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the reply, that is nice to know about drying.

I will not beat for more than 10 minutes in the future. I left my kitchen aid on while cutting cookies, and forgot it running. icon_eek.gif By the time I went to the icing, it was obviously finished; I think it beat for 13 or fourteen minutes - OOPS! icon_redface.gif

Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 11

When I created the recipe, my local supplier for meringue powder sells me a brand that has vanillin powder built right in....so the icing has a strong, yummy vanilla flavour to it.

I didn't realize that not all brands have that already added. thumbsdown.gif

If you want to add flavour to your icing with my recipe, just add a few drops (maybe 1/2 tsp?) of non oil-based extract or vanilla.

icon_smile.gif

mandifrye Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much Antonia - I would have pmed you just to make sure that you got this, but I didn't see that option. I can only imagine how busy you must be and how many pm's you would get if it was! icon_surprised.gif

I did add some more flavoring, I think I used almond. After letting it sit overnight, it was much better. I have still yet to master the flooding technique, but your recipe is used for all of my detailing.

Thanks again!
mandi thumbs_up.gif

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:26am
post #9 of 11

Is it possible to make royal icing without meringue powder? I'm out and need to make a small batch for something today. the nearest store is 30 miles away so theres no time for that.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, just substitute 5 or 6 large egg whites for the 5 tablespoons of meringue powder....and of course, omit the first water used in the recipe! icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 11

Chefmaster is the BOMB!!!! I can't say enough about it...I've tried LOTS of different kinds. It performs beautifully and tastes awesome!!!

E-mail me if you want to know how to get it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%