Converting White To Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By korkyo Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm by leah_s

korkyo Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 5

I have a butter cream that I like and I make it in a 20 quart hobart. Is there a way I can convert my white to chocolate without making it too dry?
Do I leave out equal parts of powdered sugar to coco?

I'm trying to avoid experimenting with 30 pounds of icing. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

You don't want to have an extra 30#?? icon_smile.gif
O.k. yah, that's what I did.....I think I used about one can of Hershey's UNsweet cocoa.
Some people say they also add melted choco (candy melts). When I tried that it hardened as soon as I added it so there were little pieces of choco all thru the icingicon_sad.gif Maybe it was too hot?

bashini Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:17am
post #3 of 5

Hi, Ialways add melted chocolate to the buttercream. First melt the chcocolate and then make the buttercream. Last add these two together. make sure the chcocolate is not too hot. Otherwise it will make the buttercream too thin. icon_smile.gif

janine1972 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #4 of 5

Hi there

You can mix cocoa with a bit of boiling water, to a thickish paste, then add it to the b.c, if it is dryish, add a little bit of milk or water, little bits at a time, till you find the consistancy youre looking for. Works well every time

or add the dry cocoa powder, mixing it in well, then add bit by bit milk or water, till smooth and consistancy you require.

Hope this helps!

leah_s Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 5

Throw in some cocoa. Mix. If the bc is too stiff, throw in some liquid. Mix. No need to overcomplicate this stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%