Mini Square Cake Help Please

Decorating By maliika Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 11:51am by OhioBaker

maliika Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for a friend's baby's 1st birthday. She wants a small block cake, to look like baby blocks, iced in buttercream. I'm wondering how to make the squares. I can't find a mini square cake pan anywhere, and I'm worried about just cutting a bigger cake as I'd have raw edges to ice. Does anyone have any suggestions for how should I make the cake? I really want it to turn out well!
Thank you!

3 replies
sun33082 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 4

i've done this and I just cut one layer of an 8" square cake into 4 squares to get 2 4" blocks, or 2 12" square cakes to get 2 6" blocks (3 layers). Yeah you have raw edges, but as long as you crumb coat and then ice again, you will be fine.

nickshalfpint Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #3 of 4

These are the pans I used. I don't know if you have time or the money for these ones. When I bought them It was only $4 a pan and I got 4. I don't think I could buy 4 at this price.

OhioBaker Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #4 of 4

Once you cut the cake you will have raw edges, but if you stick it in the freezer for about 45 minutes or so, you won't get the crumbs. Then do a crumb coat before your final coat of icing. Work for me every time. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%