Stacked Cake Sliding? Help..

Decorating By StPete Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 12:06am by dawncr

StPete Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 10

Okay.. newbie here... I have done several tiered cakes with buttercream icing... and it seems everytime the cake stacked slides and then it looks like it bulging out the side... what am I doing wrong???

icon_mad.gif

9 replies
Skirt Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #2 of 10

I am certainly no expert icon_smile.gif but I think the cure to eliminate bulging is damming with extra stiff BC. After torting, let the cake set for a bit so if it does bulge a bit, you can scrape away the excess.
As for the layers sliding, what are you using to stack? Dowels? Stress-free supports? And what's under your cake? A cardboard disk or plastic plate? All can influence. But the most important thing is that your cake is LEVEL. HTH!

debster Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:45am
post #3 of 10

You should bake the cake and let it sit about 8 hours to settle then place a layer of cream stiff around the edge of the cake and fill the center. Then crumb frost and let sit again to see what it's going to do. Then I dowel it make sure all the dowels are the same size or use an sps system , it's shouldn't shift on you. HTH

indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #4 of 10

Sorry, but I'm not sure what kind of sliding you're experiencing .... is the (for example) 6" tier sliding off of the 8" tier? Or is the top layer of the 8" tier sliding off of the bottom layer of the 8" tier?

My only slider was when someone slammed their on their brakes in front of me. The bottom tier ... the top layer slid about 1.5" off of the bottom layer. The brake-slamming was a factor, yes, but in looking at it, I think I had too much filling in that one. Definitely contributed to how "slick" it was between the layers and a definite factor in my slider.

StPete Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 10

the sliding is from the same size cake putting 'layers' together... I will try what debster said... I do let the cake sit, then fill the middle, place the top layer on then crumb coat... I might not being using the 'right terms'.. but, what is happening is that once I get the cake on top of the other cake.. all decorated... then the middle icing from the same size starts coming out the side.. and screwing up the nice pretty look I had... like sqweezing a cheeseburger down.. then all the stuff comes out the side...

debster Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 10

Yep it's a settling issue. Just pipe a thicker icing around the cake like a 1/2 inch from the edge then the regular icing in the middle, When it squishes down if any comes out scrape it off before you crumb coat. I let it sit for a few hours. I don' t have problems with bulging. You can use a simple syrup rub on it if you think it will dry out a little. My cakes though are known for their moistness. Let us know how it goes. I've also found if I do them a day before I need to frost and put them in the freezer overnight that helps them settle down also.

StPete Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 10

thank you so much!! I love this website!!! I will try that!!

MacsMom Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 10

I mix cake scraps into BC for a nice strong dam. As a bonus, customers get a mouthful of cake instead of a glob of just BC!

homemaluhia Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I mix cake scraps into BC for a nice strong dam. As a bonus, customers get a mouthful of cake instead of a glob of just BC!

What a terrific idea! I haven't seen that one before. I have a little trouble with my cake's midriff bulge and can't wait to try this.

dawncr Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:06am
post #10 of 10

I think the technical name for it is, "cake spackle."

I've always loved that term, but I don't know who came up with it. Kudos to whoever said it first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%