Custom Cutters

Baking By deetmar Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 10:39am by TracyLH

deetmar Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 17

I need to either make my own cutter or find someone who makes them. Can you guys point me in the right direction.

I have been trying to cut a stencil all day, and it just ins't working. I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

16 replies
TracyLH Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 17

Bakinccc had a fabulous idea a little while ago in the forum regarding making your own cutters. Here is the link:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601574.html

I have been doing this with my old cutters and it works out really well! I just finally ran out of cutters and no Hobby Lobby in sight! icon_cry.gif

Honeydukes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:22am
post #3 of 17

I've ordered custom cutters from ecrandal and they did an amazing job. The shape was perfect and it was reasonably priced. I have another custom order to place with them just as soon as I can get to Kinko's to resize my outline.
http://stores.ecrandal.com/StoreFront.bok

In addition to the thread Tracy mentioned here's the original article by KHalstead on making cutters:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article73-How-To-Make-Your-Own-Cookie-Cutters.html

There is also this discussion about making your own cutters:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-605217-0.html

cookiemookie Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 17

Ecrancal is wonderful to work with.

Their cutters are works of art and priced right! I haven't had a custom one done yet, but I wouldn't think twice about it.

Have you also tried ASM tinsmiths? I am pretty sure they do custom work also. I love their cutters.

I have the contact info if you are interested.

Joanne1944 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 17

www.ecrandal.com is the best. It is a small family business and they have a great picture on their website. Eric is making a custom cutter for me right now of my American Hairless Terrier. The line drawing is absolutely awesome and I am very excited.

All of their cutters are very reasonably priced and they have some great ones. Eric and Jamie are wonderful to work with.

I like the idea of getting a custom cutter of my grandchildren's hands which is something they offer. I think I will order them for Christmas gifts. The kids will love it.
Joanne

SILVERCAT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for this topic as I was searching high and low for a "Star of Life" cookie cutter. As I came here and read this post I went directly to his site contacted him and placed my order for a 4.5" "Star of Life" I can't wait to get it and start making cookies.

Honeydukes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

... I went directly to his site contacted him and placed my order for a 4.5" "Star of Life" ...

icon_confused.gif Two questions, if I may icon_smile.gif :

What is a "Star of Life"?

Who did you end up ordering from?

SILVERCAT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:

... I went directly to his site contacted him and placed my order for a 4.5" "Star of Life" ...

icon_confused.gif Two questions, if I may icon_smile.gif :

What is a "Star of Life"?

Who did you end up ordering from?

1. A Star of Life is the symbol for the EMS field, as I am part of my volunteer First Aid Squad and a paid EMT.

2. I order from http://stores.ecrandal.com/StoreFront.bok

Honeydukes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:

1. A Star of Life is the symbol for the EMS field, as I am part of my volunteer First Aid Squad and a paid EMT.

Very cool. I was thinking it was a Christmas star or something.

I've ordered from ecrandal originals, too. You just said "I called him" and I wasn't sure which one you were talking about. ASM tinsmiths has been mentioned before, but I can't find an e-contact for them. Thought maybe you had.

cookiemookie Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 17

Here's the ASM contact:

ASM Cutters & Things
2763 310 Street
Cannon Falls, MN 55009

Phone: 507-263-4757
FAX : 507-263-8167

Email address: [email protected]

Their cutters are really nice and I believe they do custom orders also.

I've ordered from them(not custom) and they were wonderful to work with also!

SILVERCAT Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:

Quote:

Very cool. I was thinking it was a Christmas star or something.

I've ordered from ecrandal originals, too. You just said "I called him" and I wasn't sure which one you were talking about. ASM tinsmiths has been mentioned before, but I can't find an e-contact for them. Thought maybe you had.

I ordered from him bc it was mentioned in this post. I so can't wait to get my cookie cutter! Thanks for the recommendation!

Honeydukes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:48am
post #12 of 17

SILVERCAT (great name BTW) you'll love it. The first custom I got perfectly matched my outline. I have SEVERAL of his cutters and I can't make the cookies fast enough!

Thanks, cookiemookie. The email address sure helps. Do you get a catalog from him? I think Downtown Dough carries his cutters, yes? I've never ordered from them.

SILVERCAT Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:04am
post #13 of 17
Quote:

SILVERCAT (great name BTW) you'll love it. The first custom I got perfectly matched my outline. I have SEVERAL of his cutters and I can't make the cookies fast enough!

Thanks, cookiemookie. The email address sure helps. Do you get a catalog from him? I think Downtown Dough carries his cutters, yes? I've never ordered from them.

I have had the name silvercat since the internet started, all my screen names are silvercat. I use to have silver/gray cats so that were the name came from. Thanks I do love my screenname!

I got the star of life bc next month the first aid squad puts on a bake sale for election day and we try to get some new members so I think all the sugar cookies are going to be star of life, so it sticks in people. I'm looking at a few companies do do a custom stencil for the middle part of the star of life, so I can just airbrush it on.

cookiemookie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 17

Yes Downtown Dough does carry some of them, but they are way cheaper ordering directly from them. I'm talking alot. For instance I got the Peanut characters from DD I believe I paid like $14 or $15 each. If you buy direct they are only $6(this was as of 2006, I'm sure they have gone up like everything else has)

They do have a catalog of sorts, it's not fancy. I think I requested one. I sent a stamped self addressed envelope and I think a small fee. I can't remember.

If you order, you will get one with it.

I was impressed with how my order was handled, it was hand written and it came very fast! Of course I am in WI which is right next door.

Their cutters are awesome and well made. They are not copper however.

I really got a lot for my money and the cutters are really different and well made.

Good luck.

Joanne1944 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:24am
post #15 of 17

I just received my first custom cutterand it is absolutely awesome. I ordered it from www.ecrandal.com

Eric and Jamie were wonderful to work with. I sent them a photo of my dog and the cutter looks just like him. The cutter certainly exceeded my expectations - and that is saying something.

The price was reasonable and now I can hardly wait to make cookies. I also ordered some of their other cutters and the quality is exceptional. They have some very nice designs. I would definitely recommend them for either standard or custom cutters.
Joanne

SILVERCAT Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:39am
post #16 of 17

I just received my custom cutter from Eric & Jamie and is way more than I expected. Check it out http://silvercatscakes.blogspot.com. Again thank you to everyone who recommended them. AWESOME, and highly recommended.

TracyLH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:39am
post #17 of 17

I just looked at the site and these are just beautiful! I also love that it is a family business that seems to care so very much about what they are creating. I hope they get lots of orders!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%