How To Get The Tiers Even In Height?

Decorating By BritishGirlsLoveCake Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm by sari66

BritishGirlsLoveCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritishGirlsLoveCake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a birthday cake for my sisters 21st, I'm planning on it being 3 tiers (6/8/10 inch) but I'm starting to wonder how I go about getting the cakes even in height - is there a basic rule to follow?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah x

5 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 6

make sure you level and ice your cakes and make it as level as possible.

When you stack make sure your dowels are exactly the same hieght.

Search CC for "stacking" that should get you some tips and tricks icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 6

ONced baked & cooled put your cake back into the pan and use a leveler OR long knife and cut across the pan. I mean, lay the knife so it goes from one side of the pan to the other and just saw across.

To be sure your cakes bake up high enough, be sure to fill the batter 2/3rds up the side of the pan. This means if you are using 2" deep pans (& you should) the batter would measure 1 1/2" deep.

BritishGirlsLoveCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritishGirlsLoveCake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies!

Using the tins as a guide makes sense, I've just got to remeber to be generous with the batter to make sure the cake fills the pan to the top.

Cheers.

Hx

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 6

Oh..... so use the pans to guide your knife as you level! That has been my biggest problem. You just saved my day!

Ok, let me throw out another question. I have done 2 stacked cakes this past week and I cant keep the sides from bulging. Its like the BC in the middle is squishing out. Any tips on how to avoid this problem?

TIA!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

Oh..... so use the pans to guide your knife as you level! That has been my biggest problem. You just saved my day!

Ok, let me throw out another question. I have done 2 stacked cakes this past week and I cant keep the sides from bulging. Its like the BC in the middle is squishing out. Any tips on how to avoid this problem?

TIA!

to prevent buldge use a thicker bc for a dam around the outside of the cake layers and use just a bit less on the filling.
hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%