How Early Do You Begin A Cake?

Decorating By cakecrazy1129 Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 1:29am by CakesByJen2

cakecrazy1129 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 12

Im making my first 4 teir wedding cake in 2 weeks. Im in the wedding so I will be pressed for time on the day of the ceremony. How early do you think i should begin preparing the cake? Also, is it better to put it together on sight, or transport it whole?

11 replies
alidpayne Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 12

I swear we must have a psychic link. I was just wondering the same thing, and I am in almost the EXACT same situation. The wedding cake I am doing is my first four tier cake (also my first wedding cake). I am also the Maid of Honor. The wedding is Oct. 18th, & I am making a groom's cake too. I am very interested in the answers to this question.

awolf24 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 12

I bake and freeze the layers about 2 weeks before and work on any fondant/RI accents then make icing the weekend before the wedding and decorate the tiers the day/night before, possibly starting 2 days before depending on how much has to be done. I assemble on site but I know a lot of people transport fully assembled cakes. Depends on your assembly method and possibly how far you have to travel.

vickymacd Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 12

Boy, I stress about a family cake for a month! Then make myself sick worrying if everything is going to turn out fine. And it always looks better in my head than how it turns out. ha, ha.
that's why you are the professionals!

Denae Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 12

if they require any pieces, like GP flowers, etc, i start on those at least 2 weeks ahead of time. now as far as baking, i bake 3-4 days ahead. i sandwich them together the next day and wrap them tight with saran wrap and store on cooler/fridge overnight (great tip from sugarshack) should get her DVD on succesful stacking, if you don't have it!...then, once my layers have settled, because if you don't let it settle, they will bulge between the layers...i wrap them all in fondant...then i stack it when i am ready to start the detailing which isusually the last day or 2. i always deliver my cakes chilled and put together...too much stress trying to finish there...but i always dowel my cakes with one big wooden dowel through the middle (you can refer to the wilton books for this one)... well, i hth!

Furlik Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 12

Wow, 2 weeks before. Thanks for the good news. I was not sure how long before I could make the cakes and freeze them. I have done some cakes but I have been off work for a few weeks, so I always had the Friday before the delivery to prepare. I was worried when i return to work that I would not have time to do cakes.

Thanks for the tips...

P.S Love this site, so many helpful members and info.

Hugs everyone

kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 12

I agree w/awolf24. Get as much done ahead as you can. Bake & fz. the layers. Depending on the filling used you, & if you have sapce you could even fill and crumb coat now.
Make the icing now if it's b'cream. It can be stored in the frig or fzr. Take it out the day before wanting to use; stir well (a wire whip helps or put it back in the mixer).

CakesByJen2 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 12

My very first wedding cake was for my sister, and I was the matron of honor as well (and pregnant). I learned the hard way to start much earlier! It was a very stressful and miserable experience...

My typical schedule for a wedding cake is this:

1 month ahead - order supplies
1 month to 1 week ahead - make flowers, bows, other make-ahead decor
1-2 weeks ahead - buy all ingredients
Tuesday before - prepare boards, making icing
Wednesday before - make fillings
Thursday - bake all cakes, cool, fill, let settle, then crumb coat
Friday - ice, decorate, and dowel
Saturday - delivery

I generally do not stack more than 2-tiers prior to delivery, partly because I have no help and I can't lift and carry more than that by myself. Also, the vibration while driving can cause dowels to shift and I don't think it's worth taking the chance. You can bake and freeze further ahead if you need to and have the freezer space, but I have only done that on a very rare occasion. I would bake and fill, let settle, then wrap well in plastic wrap and freeze, then thaw overnight in fridge.

indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 12

Jen, i wish I could be that organized! awesome!

My hectic schedule usually runs like:
SUnday night .... open files of next Sat's weddings and make list of items needed.
Monday ..... buy supplies
Tuesday .... bake all cakes, wrap and freeze, make icing
Wed..... wrap boards, crumb coat & make any BC roses/flowers
Thurs ..... ice and decorate
Fri .... last minute details, if any.
Sat.... Deliver

No wonder I'm so dang tired on Sunday! icon_surprised.gif Will you come over and organize me?

CakesByJen2 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 12
Originally Posted by indydebi

Jen, i wish I could be that organized! awesome!

No wonder I'm so dang tired on Sunday! icon_surprised.gif Will you come over and organize me?

Oh, I'm not organized, believe me! It's just with my kids life is so crazy I would never be able to get a cake finished if I didn't start as early as possible and do a little everyday to squeeze it all in. There's no local supply shops, either, so I have to be sure to order supplies well in advance to be sure I have all I need. I only do maybe one cake a month these days, and I spend the whole next week after the cake trying to get caught up on all the laundry and housework that I let slide while I was working on the cake. I can't imagine doing 1-2 wedding cakes plus 2-3 birthday cakes every week like I used to, before I had my second child. He's very high-maintenance, and the two of them fight ALL the time icon_sad.gif

cakecrazy1129 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 12

I have another question...the cake is going to be covered in fondant so should i use buttercream or royal icing for piping on top of the fondant? Thanks!

CakesByJen2 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #12 of 12

You can use either, but royal icing is traditionally used with fondant. Plus once it's dry it's not easily messed up like buttercream. If you are doing really fine/intricate piping, royal icing will look neater.

Quote by @%username% on %date%