Why Are Computer People Such Jerks? Okay Not All Of Them...

Business By RRGibson Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm by RRGibson

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I've heard horror stories about people having trouble with their web designers and them going off without giving up passwords, etc. But geesh, I didn't think it would happen to me!

The lady who did my site is such a jerk! And it's such a shame because she did a wonderful job. But her customer service sucks! Everytime I tell her there's an issue, she tells me there isn't. She takes forever to answer my emails. Then when she does reply, most times, she doesn't answer the question anyway. I'm so frustrated because this could be losing me business icon_mad.gif

I just had to vent...

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 5

Stories like this make me glad I have one that I can do myself and I have the control. I learned this when I worked for a large corporation. We wanted to be able to make changes in a heartbeat AND not have to run up a "consultant" bill to do so.

My son-in-law controls my cookie site .... but that only costs me a dozen lemon cookies and a night of babysitting! icon_biggrin.gif

RRGibson Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 5

Lucky you Debi! I just can't believe that people act like this after you pay them for this type of service. I emailed her again and she finally answered and all she said was "there's no problem". Are you serious?!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 5

That can be absolutely frustrating... The thing is, on their highly updated by the day computer they work from, it IS working... They aren't taking into account that the site still needs to be readable by those of us who still have a dialup connection... The other thing is they don't have exactly what happened that caused an error to occur in terms of what path someone took and found the problem.

What DH's work did was they hired someone to do the general layout of their website then did all the content work themselves.

For me, I've got all of my websites under my own control so I can change them on a whim at any moment which is great. It isn't that hard when you've got a template program that you can just plunk in exactly what you want and where most of the time. The only problem I've had is that every time a friend goes to look at the site it completely crashes her computer... The thing is, I have no idea what's causing it since I can get it to come up on a few other friend's computers without issue... Apparently my website has a mind of its own sometimes...

RRGibson Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

It's sad because I think that's what I'm going to have to do now. Abandon the site that I have and do another one icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%