Is My Cake Ruined?

Decorating By smc_paralegal Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm by sillywabbitz

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 9

I made a cake last night for my class tonight, torted it and used blackberry jam as a filling. I then covered it with buttercream and fondant and left it sitting out covered last night and today. Will the cake be okay to eat or should I just pitch it after class.

8 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 9

it'll be fine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 9

I'd say that's the normal way of doing things.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 9

Cake covered in fondant can be cut up to a week later. The fondant seals everything inside. Once it has been cut, then it should probably be used up in 2 to 3 days. I normaly don't let mine dit that long, but when I have had the need to do it, they have been find - in fact, I have had people tell me that they were really moist!!

I'm sure you are enjoying your class and keep up the good work!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 9

It'll be fine.

thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 9

The jam filling won't go bad? I have always avoided using jam because I thought it had to be fridged? I will be thrilled to find out I'm wrong.

What if you just covered it in buttercream?

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 9

A cake covered in buttercream should usually be cut and served in 2 to 3 days. It does not hold in the moisture as well as the fondant. Remember that fondant seals the cake. The fruit fill should be fine as long as there was a good size dam to hold it in.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 9

.........jam filling won't go bad?.... always avoided using jam because I thought it had to be fridged....

For the most part the only reason jam has to be kept cold is not for spoilage but because the sugar will crystalize.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for the info on jamicon_smile.gif That makes me super happyicon_smile.gif It will give me more filling options now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%