Anyone Else Had This Problem?

Decorating By jbc Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm by jammjenks

jbc Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 12

Yesterday I was delivering a wedding cake and on the way it started sliding around on the cake board. It was held onto the board with buttercream and I think it just heated up and started to slide. I had the air conditioning on full blast and the reception center was only about 10 blocks from my house. Luckily there was no serious damage and I was able to cover up what there was with the flowers. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how do you stop it from happening again? Maybe it was just because the bottom cake was a styrofoam dummy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11 replies
tiggy2 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12

Did you let the air conditioner in your car run for a while before putting the cake in? If not the car was already hot and could have affected the buttercream.

kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 12

I can't remembering that happening ever.
What was the board covered with?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 12

did you put a little dab of BC under your cake? to act kind of like a glue between the board and cake?

I have never had the problem (knock on wood) but I try to always dab a lil BC to help icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

What was the board covered with?

I was wondering this same thing. If you covered it with slick paper or something, it may have helped the sliding.

indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 12

If hte bottom tier is styrofoam, I used doubled-over duct tape to secure the dummy to the board.

jbc Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 12

The car had been running for a bit and the place I had to deliver it to was only a few blocks away. I had used buttercream to hold it down, but with the board covered with fanci-foil and the styrofoam it probably didn't take much heat to make it slippery. Thanks everyone for the ideas. The tape sounds like a good idea. I will have to try that next time. I want to prevent that from happening ever again. It about makes your heart stop to have someone yell the cake is sliding around on the board.

jammjenks Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 12

I didn't realize the bottom was styrofoam. Last time I used it for a bottom tier (see hay bales in my photos) I hot-glued it to the board.

pinklesley1 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 12

you can either ht glue it or use some gumpaste glue... i have used the styrfoam bottom tier alot and they never move...

yu can also skewer the whole cake straight through the styrfiam and into the board... i just cut a tiny x in the board with a craft knife...

sweetcakery Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 12

I do the duct tape thing to

jbc Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 12

I had considered hot glue next time, but I was wondering if it melts the styrofoam at all. Have you ever had problems with that?

jammjenks Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc

I had considered hot glue next time, but I was wondering if it melts the styrofoam at all. Have you ever had problems with that?

Who would know? After it's glued you can't see under it. icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

I've only done it once and it must not have melted enough (if any) to matter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%