Covering Styrofoam With Fondant ?

Decorating By BJ Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm by MacsMom

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 11

I have a 6" strofoam ball I need to cover with fondant. Do I need to put anything on the ball before I put the fondant on or will it adhere to it without anything being put on it first? I'm covering the entire ball (it will be a topper for a cake).

10 replies
maeliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maeliza Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 11

I would cover the ball with Piping Gel and then cover it fondant. The piping gel will make the fondant adhere. Yes, it can get a bit messy, but I believe it will help. Hope that helps.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 11

If I have to cover stryofoam, I always put something on it for the fondant to stick to. I use MMF and either cover it with buttercream or piping gel, ya know the clear stuff that you can use for water. Good luck
Jeanne

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 11

Not sure since I've never done it, but I think I've heard alot of ppl say to cover in buttercream first so that it is smoother and you don't get the bumps, etc. in it.

rnp3603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnp3603 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 11

I use either sugar glue (piece of gumpaste disolved in hot water) or even plain water should do the trick. Simply apply it onto the ball with a brush.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 11

I did the beach ball in my pictures. I just misted the styrofoam ball with a spray bottled and placed the fondant strips on it.

HTH

JUDI

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 11

I have never done this, but at one point I considered doing it for a cake competition (I ended up using BC instead), anyway, the advise I was given was no, it will not stay on the cake by itself and the suggestions were to either lightly mist the Styrofoam with water or to thinly spread shortening on the Styrofoam.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

PinkGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkGiGi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 11

This is so funny - I was going to make pretty much this same post posing this question.

Now I guess I can save the time and start coving my styrofoam.

I love this website!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 11

All my styrofoam pieces in cakes (whether cake box topper or in competition pieces)... I just used water and the fondant STUCK like glue to the styrofoam. Watch when placing the fondant - it sticks quick icon_eek.gif and is hard to move once on... not like BC on a cake!!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 11

A great tip I learned from Susan Carberry's classes is to paint on a coating of shortening on the styrofoam. It's so much easier using a paint brush ( 2" wide or so). No need to use up buttercream and so much less messy than piping gel. The fondant will stick to it just fine.

KimAZ

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #11 of 11

I use piping gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%