Flu Shot

Lounge By Pookie59 Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 5:34am by margaretb

Pookie59 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 28

Has anyone else had a flu shot this year? I had one last Friday and was sick as a dog on Sunday and Monday. Still don't feel great. Other people I work with said they were ill as well. Of course I don't really know if it was the shot or just a virus going around the work place, but if the flu makes you feel worse than that, then I'm glad I had the shot.

27 replies
TheCakerator Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 28

Sorry to hear that you were sick. I have never had a flu shot, my dh thinks I should get one because I seem to catch the flu every single year. I am so scared of needles and shots that I would pass out if they came at me with one. So my dh has offered to get one instead. I don't work outside of the home and during the winter I rarely ever leave the house. So as long as my dh is VERY careful about washing his hands and not touching everyone else's stuff at work I'm expecting this to be a mild flu bug winter.

tchrmom Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 28

I had one last year and was absolutely fine. I am a teacher and have a young son with mild asthma, so I plan to get one. He has had one every year and is generally fine.

JodieF Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 28

The flu shots don't contain live virus, so you can't get sick from a flu shot. I just got over a stomach bug though, and there's a respiratory bug going around here too. It's awfully early in the school year for all this!

I work in an elementary school, so I always get a shot. I did get the flu last year, but then they admitted they didn't predict the right virus when then made the vaccine.

Pookie59 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 28

I went to the website for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and found out that yes a flu shot may give you symptoms of fever and body aches - exactly what I was experiencing. I may have had another illness going on as well, so probably had worse symptoms.

The flu shot I had last year gave me no problems whatsoever.

Cakerator- the shot was painless. Don't not get one for fear of a 2 second needle stick.

TheCakerator Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 28

oh no ... even the idea of getting a shot makes me faint ....

Pookie59 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 28

I used to be that way about needles too. I got over it during my first pregnancy - seems like they're always sticking you when you're pregnant.

I'm still dealing with my dentist phobia, but the more you run from the fear, the more power it has over you. So, I go to the dentist (currently ever 4 months). Fear is so tormenting that I refuse to let it control me.

Cakepro Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 28

I do not get flu vaccines, nor do my children. They are full of all kinds of nasty stuff. Plus they put the wrong strain of the virus in the vaccines every year, it seems. The link between vaccines and autism, plus all of the AMA-acknowledged side effects, make me say NO thank you.

Pookie59 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 28

I hear you CakePro. It's kind of a gamble either way. I knew some co-workers who were really, really sick with the flu last year.

Cakepro Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 28

The thing is, once you have the flu, you have lifelong immunity against that strain. Also, I think many people don't let their immune systems do their jobs and instead take meds that bring down their fevers, thus prolonging the illness. The scary thing is both the abuse of antibiotics and the anti-bacterial craze (of which I initially was part) that's swept through our nation that's really kicking our asses. We are just continually compromising our immune systems instead of strengthening them.

JMO. icon_wink.gif

Sherri

sweettoothmom Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

The flu shots don't contain live virus, so you can't get sick from a flu shot. I just got over a stomach bug though, and there's a respiratory bug going around here too. It's awfully early in the school year for all this!

I work in an elementary school, so I always get a shot. I did get the flu last year, but then they admitted they didn't predict the right virus when then made the vaccine.

Actually they do contain a partial live virus or at least some vaccines of the flu shot do. This is a scary thought ot me. But lets look at the logic behind this. They inject this so called dead virus into your bloodstream stating it will create an immunity in your body to the active or live virus. If the virus is dead already how will your body build an immunity to it. Your body will just pass it as if it was nothing. Why do so many people become seriously ill after having the shot if it is a dead virus and once again if it is dead why inject it anyway? It seems like an oxymoron. ANyone wiht medical knowledge to explain this conundrum?

michood Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #12 of 28

I probably won't get a shot, just because I'm stubborn like that, but my son did get it. He has only been sick once in his 16 months of life, and it was the flu last year. Then I got it, then I gave it to everyone I know, literally.

I completely agree with the overuse of antibiotics. DS is technically a preemie, so at first I was worried that he would be sick a lot, because that's what they tell you in the hospital...but he's never had an ear infection and like I said, the only time he's been sick is with the flu.

He is an incredibly healthy, 50th percentile little kid, and I credit that to the fact that we don't freak out if he plays in the dirt, we don't panic anytime someone coughs around him, and we let him eat *horrible awful nasty dirty* processed foods. AND *gasp* I made his bottles using tap water instead of bottled water!!

Haha, I hope I'm not horribly offending anyone, but that's just how I feel.'

Sorry for getting off topic!

redpanda Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:56am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Actually they do contain a partial live virus or at least some vaccines of the flu shot do. This is a scary thought ot me. But lets look at the logic behind this. They inject this so called dead virus into your bloodstream stating it will create an immunity in your body to the active or live virus. If the virus is dead already how will your body build an immunity to it. Your body will just pass it as if it was nothing. Why do so many people become seriously ill after having the shot if it is a dead virus and once again if it is dead why inject it anyway? It seems like an oxymoron. ANyone wiht medical knowledge to explain this conundrum?

When a dead virus is injected (intramuscularly NOT intravenously!), your body registers the proteins on the surface as "Not-self". This causes an immune response and the production of antibodies to that specific variant of the virus. For some viruses, this happens quickly enough that the virus doesn't have to be live.

The protein on the surface is the same, whether the virus is live or dead, so your immunity would be to the live version, too.

This is very simplified, but I doubt anyone wants the full version.

BREN28 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 28

INACTIVATED (killed)vaccine,or the "flu shot" is given by injection to the muscle. LIVE,ATTENUATED (weakened) influenza vaccine is sprayed into the nostrils. scientist try to match the virus in the vaccine to those most likely to cause flu that year. but even if there is not a close match, it should provide you with some protection. i had the inactivated vaccine a couple of days ago.

sweettoothmom Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 28

Thank you redpanda and bren,
That makes more sense now doesnt it icon_redface.gif

I prefer to allow my body to react as God intended rather than inject a bunch of chemicals in me. My oldest son has horrid allergies and asthma just like my husband had as a child. My mother in law made me a nervous wreck with him. I was a neurotic OCD impaired mommy. Scared of everything for him. One day it hit me and not unlike Michelle I realized that dirt is ok and he can be around others without becoming deathly ill even if they cough. I feel so badly because he had no signs or problems with his asthma or allergies until he was 2 years old and I honestly contribute it to having all those GALL DARNED shots every 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 months. I mean I was in that dr.'s office within an hour of him turing 2 months, 4 months etc... to have those shots. With my 2nd son I wised up (ok not much but just a little or so I would like to think). I had his first set of shots in the hospital and then he waited until he was a year old to have any others. I did the same with all the other children as well and they are healthy as horses. All the same DNA all the same environments, exposures, diets etc... I was just as cautious with what I ate with them as I was the first. The only variable is the vaccination timing.

God gives us what we need via mama's milk and that contains immuntiy to an exitent. Now I know some will say I am lucky my children didnt get terribly ill and that I am tainting the "herd immunity" by not immunizing on someones timeline. They are my children and I have to be able to handle thier health in such a way that we give them the benefit of the doubt. Every benefit really. Where would we all be if we all blindly follow ?
I mean am I just a radical idiot here? Does anyone else feel like this?

michood Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 28

Yes and no. I think that the shots are good for most, but not all babies. I think that some kids are built to handle immunizations, and other aren't. I'm not going to judge a mom for doing what she feels is best for her child, but I do encourage parents to make informed decisions instead of following the crowd on everything.

I did a lot of research on autism being linked to vaccinations, and I felt, for us, that the vaccinations were safe.

DS had his shots on time every time, and he's healthy as a horse, but he's only 16 months. There is no history of allergies or asthma on either DH's side or mine, except for evil SIL's kids, and I think that's just over medicating. I've never seen any of their 3 kids have any signs of breathing problems, yet they have a HUGE freezer bag full of breathing treatments and other medications they take every single day. Then, SIL wonders why they get sick all the time. I think she has shot their immune systems because she never lets their bodies do what they're supposed to do. An hour after getting sick her kids are at the doctor getting medicine.

sweettoothmom Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 28

I have found reading the warnings and side effects on all meds to be very educational. Most meds for things like croup etc are a steriod. These steriods weaken the immuntiy for up to 6 months after being taken. Then kids are onstantly sick. They get something else and then they have to have more meds that weaken immunity and it starts all over. It is a vicious cycle. I try to find a holistic way to help the kids feel better through an illness and leave meds for only the things that are absolutely necessary.
I am so glad your little guy is healthy.

barbaranoel Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #18 of 28

I, nor my kids or dh have ever had a flu shot and I don't plan on it. I work for Kroger and every year we can get the shot for free but I don't. I very rarely get sick.

The kids very rarely get sick either. We aren't picky about sanitizing every thing. and yes, dirt is ok. Don't make a meal of it, but a little never hurt anyone!!

butternut Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:23pm
post #19 of 28

I admit that I have never had a flu shot. I did have a strain of flu many, many years ago and it was pretty rough but it didn't encourage me to get the flu shot after that. What has encouraged me to get one this year is the fact that the daughter of an acquaintance of mine died at the end of the flu season last year. The family had made plans to get the flu shot at a local pharmacy but something came up and they never made it. They never got their shots. This little girl was 13 years old and had always been very healthy. One day she was fine and the next had cold symptoms. The next day, she died from the flu. After her death, they pleaded with everyone to get the flu shot every year. I think I will for the first time in my 53 years.

cakedesigner59 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 28

I had the flu for the last two years running and I think I might break down and get a shot this year. I felt like the undead for a total week, and it was pure h*ll. But I do tend to get sick when I get the shot, too. I can't win! icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #21 of 28

I'm 26 and I cannot recall EVER having a flu shot. I've only had the flu once since I was 9, and that was a few years ago.

I think I'll continue without them, thank you very much. icon_smile.gif

Pookie59 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #22 of 28

The interesting thing (IMO) about the flu is that it seems to attack people who are often in the "young, healthy, I never get sick" group. A co-worker got the flu last year - was sick as a dog for a week - and he's a slim, trim, eat healthy, exercise daily kind of guy.

emrldsky Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

The interesting thing (IMO) about the flu is that it seems to attack people who are often in the "young, healthy, I never get sick" group. A co-worker got the flu last year - was sick as a dog for a week - and he's a slim, trim, eat healthy, exercise daily kind of guy.

I can understand that, but I've worked at a University since I was 22 (was a student there since I was 1icon_cool.gif and have only had the flu once in that time. That includes that three years I lived in the dorms.

I'm not saying I'm so healthy the flu doesn't touch me, not at all. I just think that my immune system is pretty strong. Besides, I know I have health issues, but I don't think the flu will complicate them at all.

7yyrt Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #24 of 28

My husband and daughter get flu shots every year, due to working with the public. We got tired of the things and didn't get them, a few years back, and at least one of the family was sick all darn winter!

We make sure to get them now.

butternut Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #25 of 28

Ok, I was doing some research on the flu shot and I've got to say that I'm more confused now than ever. I had just about decided to get the shot but now I'm back to being leery about it. I found that there are many people who say that the shot is dangerous because of the amount of mercury in it. I didn't print it out and I can't recall exactly how much is in the shot but it said it is an extreme amount compared to what is recommended we have. icon_eek.gif

7yyrt Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #26 of 28

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_3400.cfm
Agreeing that mercury has no place in vaccines, seven states have passed Thimerosal bans in recent years: California, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, New York, and Washington. California is the first to have implemented the ban for the current flu season, but Governor Schwarzenegger temporarily overturned the ban on November 2 after a shortage of mercury-free flu shots led to pressure from state medical groups.

butternut Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #27 of 28

Wow!!!!! I am stunned!! Thanks so much for that link. It sure is an eye opener....

margaretb Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:34am
post #28 of 28

We'll probably get flu shots this year. It's not just that I have the little kids and one in school who is bringing home bugs, but I also have a 95 year old grandmother and she is getting frail (don't you love it -- 95, and she is "getting" frail), and I wouldn't want to give her something.

I get my kids vacinated on schedule. I think vacines are a modern day miracle. However, one lady in our playgroup will not vacinate her kids because she knew someone who knew someone whose child had a serious adverse reaction to a vacination. That fear is worse for her than the thought that her child might get exposed to a (now) rare disease. Plus she said, more or less, you are all getting your kids vacinated, so mine won't be able to catch anything. Fair enough if she is concerned about the vacine, but I thought that last was rather foolish. Especially in an age of global travel and immigration.

One of my aunts told me that she remembers when the polio vacine came out and how wonderful it was. She said that people these days with kids have never seen someone with a terrible disease. But when she grew up, everyone knew someone who had died or been paralyzed by polio. Actually, I read a couple years ago that polio had been wiped out in all but one country, but it has started coming back and was in something like 13 countries again, and probably more by now.

And yahoo about the dirt. When my oldest was one, he had dropped his soother. Someone picked it up, and I said just give it to him. She wouldn't, so I took it and gave it to him. She turned away muttering "that's disgusting". Well, for pete sake, it was a floor that had just been washed, and my kid was still at that age when he would put stuff in his mouth, so it's not like he hadn't eaten worse. Sheesh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%