Molding Mmf In Hard Molds

Decorating By forthwife Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm by forthwife

forthwife Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hello: I am thinking about making a mold with a "create a mold kit" from my local craft store so I can use the impression for fondant. How do you get the fondant out of the mold once it's in there? I can see how it would be done if the mold were soft or silicone...but hard molds I'm just not sure. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

6 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 7

BUMP

Also, make sure your sprinkle PLENTY of powered sugar or cornstarch so the mold will release. You might have to practice alil icon_smile.gif

What are you trying to mold? if the crevaces are deep it might not work...

Sorry I can't be more help icon_smile.gif

Starkie Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe you can stick it in the freezer for a few minutes to set it up quickly, then unmold it. I haven't tried this with the hard molds. Let us know what works!

southernbelle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 7

I use fondant in the chocolate molds. Dust really good with luster dust or cornstarch and press the fondant in and roll over with small fondant rolling pin. Unmold very carefully by pulling on the excess fondant. It takes a lot of patience but it works.

ceshell Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:12am
post #5 of 7

Read southernbelle's answer carefully, she has the answer! I too just did this w/chocolate molds and yes, the key is pulling on the excess fondant. That means: make sure you have excess fondant! My first attempts failed because I thought it would be so smart to trim off the excess fondant while it was still in the mold. NOT. icon_smile.gif Next time I left a nice lip of fondant outside of the mold, and slowly tugged on the fondant first in one spot, then the next, etc. to work my way around the mold without distorting the fondant.

For my part, I lubed the mold heavily with shortening.

Tona Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:34am
post #6 of 7

The hard molds are harder to work with. I would stick with silicone for ease of use and release.

forthwife Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 7

I appreciate all the helpful comments, especially about having excess fondant. I would LOVE to have my mold be silicone, but I'm molding something myself and a mold making kit of clay is $4 and a silicone one is $35. Since it'll only be used once, I'm going to do the $4 option. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%