Almost Had My Own Place

Business By mommy1st Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm by judyz

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 8

The bakery I used to work for had closed about 3 years ago. I met the man that bought the building. It had the bakery on one side, and a restaurant on the other side. He had put alot of money into remolding it and had talked to me off and on about possibly renting it from him when he was finished. Well...He offered me the place for $1,ooo a month plus utilities. The only problem is that when I went to look at what all he did to the building I cried. The front sale floor he made to about half the size it was. The middle of the bakery he installed a door, and it is now part of the restaurant. Then you have the rest of the the baking area in the back of the shop. There is no way to get to the front of the store without going thru the restaurant. The thought of working by myself with out someone to watch the front is impossible. Can you imagine trying to carry a cake or push racks up to the front while walking thru a restaurant with waiters, and customers walking back and forth? Guess I will have to keep looking. Thanks for listing.

7 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 8

Why would he do that? No one is going to want to rent a place where you are going to have to walk throught the business next door to get in and out. Sorry about that. I hope you find something soon.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 8

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm sure that you were disappointed, but I believe that all things happen for a reason. Remain optimistic...I'm sure that something will come along that was meant for you. When it presents itself, you will know it.

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 8

Hang on.

You can afford this place and it's already fully equipped as a bakery? And you think it's not do-able because you'd need to knock a hole in (or remove) a non-load-bearing wall?

Take a step back and think about the economics of dealing with the wall versus buildout from scratch in a non-bakery space.

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 8

It's not that I would have to knock a hole in the wall. He extended the restaurant into the middle of the bakery. There is no way to get from the front of the back except now going thru the restaurant. I doubt that anyone will rent the bakery with the middle of it now being another business.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

Ah, gotcha.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 8

That is the most bizzare set up I have ever heard of.. icon_confused.gif Why on earth would you do that?

Good luck finding another place. I wish I could find a place for 1000$/month. The cheapest I have seen around here for a nice retail location with nice foot traffic was $5K. DEFINTELY not in the budget. icon_lol.gif

judyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 8

You know...I think we should take a lesson from a special I saw on the Food Network about caterers/bakers in New York City. They had a "co-op" where they bought a place, equipped it with health dept. approved, i.e. NSF, equipment and then rented it out to people wanting to start their own catering/bakeries/ etc. I live in Colorado and have been seriously thinking about trying to find a place to do just this.

In the interim, I contacted a local church that has a state-approved kitchen (most of the larger churches do...). I rent the kitchen on an "as needed" basis for $7 an hour and can store a small amount of equipment there (mixer, pans, etc). It works in the interim........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%