Does This Sound Like A Scam?

Decorating By onceuponacake Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 4:48am by TJCanadian

onceuponacake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

I had been in touch with a bride back in July whose wedding was in September. Set up a consultation which she canceled because she forgot she had to help a family member with something. Never heard back from her. She contactm e last week saying she forgot all about the wedding cake and could I still do it. I told her yes, but payment needs to be made in full. No problem she said. I sent her invoice through paypal because she wanted to pay through Amex. She said her fiance wants to pay cash. I said she could send a money order or cashier's check NO PERSONAL CHECKS. Her wedding is less than two weeks away. I sent her contract and told her she needed to send that as well.

I'm getting a little nervous that she keeps delaying payment, but I made it clear to her that no payment in full means no cake

4 replies
ShopGrl1128 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 5

It doesn't sound like a scam to me at all, just one of those many clients who think you can pull 7-tier wedding cake out of your butt in 5 mins. that's all.

Just remind her that you don't have the cake on a shelf waiting to be delivered, that you need the money by such date AND time or she won't have a cake for her wedding, period.

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 5

Doesn't sound like a scam, just a PIA..........

I'd suggest an e-mail that gives her a countdown or an ultimatum:

"Pay in full today= complete cake per contract. Pay in full tomorrow=3/4ths amount of cake & decoration/contract. Pay in full day after tomorrow=1/2 amount of cake & decoration/contract.....no payment accepted after 4 days=no cake."
OR
"If a CASH payment in full is not received by tomorrow at 6pm, I will not be making your wedding cake."

In this situation, I sure wouldn't take any form of payment that could be recinded (check, credit card, or money order). It'd be cash or no cake.

Just my honest .02
Rae

leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 5

I soooo agree with BlakesCakes. Cash only baby.

TJCanadian Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:48am
post #5 of 5

I do sweat out the drama for you, just want to know what happens. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%