The Perfect Foam Core Cutter!

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm by dynee

snowshoe1 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 16

Not sure about the rest of you but I have always struggled using an exacto knife (even the heated ones) cutting foamcore so the sides are perfectly straight with clean edges - I especially like to use the foam core for odd shaped boards. I got this item http://www.foamcoreheaven.com/xfobocu.html and it works perfectly.

No more bumpy cake board sides!

15 replies
janelwaters Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:55am
post #2 of 16

I have this one too!! My husband suprised me with it one day! I totally love it, it is so easy to use!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:58am
post #3 of 16

I like the name of the place.

OhioBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 16

Wow! That's just what I need! I will order one today. Thanks for sharing! icon_lol.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 16

do you buy foamcore from there too?

snowshoe1 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

No - I've didn't compare their prices to what I can get at Staples or Home Depot (also, seems like I have enough foamcore already to last a few lifetimes!)

Mac Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 16

snowshoe1--I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!

Yeah, I always stock up when Hobby Lobby has foamboard at 50% off. The last time, they were out of the thin foamboard, but now Michael's will honor the sale ad. 20 sheets of the thin ones, give me 80 1/4 sheet boards (at $10 for the whole thing) or 40 1/2 sheets. The 1/2" boards I use for wedding/groom's cakes and sculpted.

yellobutterfly Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 16

so for regular cakes, let's say a 12 x 18, do you use 1 sheet of 3/16? But then for a wedding or sculpted cake you would use 1 sheet of 1/2inch? what about for large sheet cakes, like 24 x 18? Also, can I find that foamcorecutter @ hobby lobby, or is it only @ the website posted? thanks!

MissRobin Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 16

I also use this one, I found it about a year ago at staples, it is fantastic! I have tried them all, even went out and bought the hot knife thing, but this is the best.

dailey Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 16

thanks for posting! i *hate* cutting foamboard. is this something you can get at Home depot or Lowes, i wonder?

snowshoe1 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

snowshoe1--I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!

icon_lol.gif Thanks to a fellow 'frog-lover'

Dailey - I'm sure you can get other places. MissRobin posts she got hers at Staples. Looks like I wasted a few bucks on shipping - oh, well icon_rolleyes.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:01am
post #12 of 16

I just bought a hot knife and it has worked pretty well... but I don't like the fact that I have to wait for it to heat up, and that I could burn myself with it (I'm clumsy).

Does this cut out rounds easily?

dailey Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:11am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Quote:

No - I've didn't compare their prices to what I can get at Staples or Home Depot (also, seems like I have enough foamcore already to last a few lifetimes!)

thanks!

momvarden Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Not sure about the rest of you but I have always struggled using an exacto knife (even the heated ones) cutting foamcore so the sides are perfectly straight with clean edges - I especially like to use the foam core for odd shaped boards. I got this item http://www.foamcoreheaven.com/xfobocu.html and it works perfectly.

No more bumpy cake board sides!

How does it do with curves and tight spots ect.? you know for those special shapes. thanks for the info. i am going to have to look for it.

xstitcher Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:37am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for posting!

Did you all notice this blurb on their website:

3/16" White Foamcore Board in Custom Sizes. Choose from our popular custom sizes. Our have any size made to order! 1-800-937-4278.

Maybe that would eliminate the need to cut anything!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Depending of course on the cost!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dynee Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 16

I went out to Michaels and bought the cutter and ran home to try it. I love it on the 3/16" and with the 90 degree cuts on the 1/2", but when I put it on the bevel I like to cut, the blade wasn't long enough to go all the way through. Just playing around, I think you could easily do a fairly tight curve if you were going freehand. I have a Logan circle/oval cutter that also doesn't quite go through on the bevel cut. I'm wondering if someone sells longer blades.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%