Crarve And Level A Cake Without It Falling To Pieces

Decorating By kbaby Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm by k96002

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:15am
post #1 of 8

I seem to struggle with the easy bit!!
Every time I make a cake it peaks quite a lot in the middle. The when I try to level it I cant seem to actually get it flat and level with bits breaking off. Its the same when I cut it in order to make shapes etc.

t means that under the icing my cakes still look unlevel or bumpy from where bits have broken off.

Can someone help me please? what am I doing wrong.

ps in case this matters I normally carve it once my cake has cooled down

7 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:43am
post #2 of 8

Did you try freezing the cake first and carving it frozen? Also, Wilton has a lovely cake leveler in two sizes. I have the smaller one which is metal and a wire you can adjust to get a perfect level. HTH

Best,
Karen

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:10am
post #3 of 8

freeze your cakes before you carve them, much easier!

marshgirlthe1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marshgirlthe1st Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:21am
post #4 of 8

I just read that one cake baker actually pushes down on the cake after pulling it from the oven because then it levels w/o making you take it apart

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 8

I use the wilton levels to level my cakes.

Once out of the pan, I level it and torte it then.

To do any time of carving, I let it cool and then put it in the freezer for about an hour. Take it out and then the carving is simple and the pieces that you cut off stay together in pieces or "chunks".

HTH thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 8

since you're in Wales, im guessing that you are using a recipe (not a mix) that crusts well. it might be an idea to cut all around the outside into the cake just a little bit to get through the crust then level off the cake. im betting the bits that you knock off are when the knife or leveller are coming out the other side, so this little precut may help with that. now when carving it will help to freeze the cake just a bit and make sure your using a good sharp serated knife to do the trimming.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 8

It sound to me like your recipe is at fault.
Have you tried baking at a lower temp? If you use 325 degrees F (don't know what yours would be called) for maybe just a bit longer it should not peak near as much if at all.
Going along w/sweetcakes suggestion......It sounds to me like your recipe is dry. Try increasing the liquid by a Tablespoon or two.

k96002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k96002 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

I wonder the same thing...my cakes are very moist...and taste great...but when I watch The Ace of Cakes carve theirs...they are almost like sponge cakes...they cut, carry, do all kinds of things that mine would fall apart if I did!! They almost look like they would be dense and dry to eat...but yet you know that they are not. I use mixes most of the time for the consistancy, and I do freeze mine. Again...Ace of Cakes advertises 'always fresh, never frozen'. What is their secret??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%