Are These That Bad???

Baking By SweetPea0613 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm by TracyLH

SweetPea0613 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:35am
post #1 of 12

Well I've been wanting to make cookies so bad and I'm a lil disappointed. I didnt have time to make them from scratch so I bought sugar cookie dough from the store icon_redface.gif

I followed the directions and rolled it to 1/4inch thick and then spaced them really far apart on the cookie sheet...well, I ended up with two GIANT cookies! icon_sad.gif

So I just used the cookie cutters again on the "giant" cookie to make regular sized ones...

Anyway, to make a long story short....I bake my first cookies ever and decorated them....I think they look funny. And they don't match each other cuz I wanted to try different

So How bad are they...should I give up on cookies and stick to cake?????Please be honest, sorry if the pic is blurry(camera phone) icon_redface.gif

11 replies
Honeydukes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:51am
post #2 of 12

They aren't bad at all! (Looks like one creepy baby shower, though!) Kidding! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Love your alien -- and you did a great job on the baby feet!!

When you use store bought SC dough you should knead in extra flour. (I don't know if the directions told you to do that.) You should also chill the dough before baking to help keep the shape.

Definitely give scratch dough a try. It's much easier to work with and tastes much better. Just in case you don't already have them, here are a few recipes for you.

shellzey Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:57am
post #3 of 12

i think your cookies are great.
definitely give it another try

SweetPea0613 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:58am
post #4 of 12

Yeah it does look like a creepy baby shower icon_lol.gif

yeah i really want to make scratch cookies one day. Thanks for the advice! thumbs_up.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:13am
post #5 of 12

My favorite is the ghost. His face makes me giggle and how did you not break his hands? I would have broken his little hands for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

I also recommend not putting symbols in the file name, that can sometimes make it difficult to load the image for some people.

TracyLH Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:48am
post #6 of 12

Oh, my goodness! You shouldn't even consider giving up cookies! You did a great job! I would definitely try the recipes Honeydukes gave you. I use the NFSC recipe all the time and it holds it shape well. Keep it chilled though before you cut it out and rechill before baking to hold the shape even better.

I don't know if you want a royal icing recipe, but here is a great one a lot of us use:

The meringue powder she uses has vanilla in it, but the Wilton I use does not, so I add either 3/4 tsp clear vanilla (though I am going to try regular vanilla soon) or 3/4 tsp almond extract.

So, don't even think about hanging up that cookie sheet! You are off to a great start!

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 12

I love the alien guy! Keep decorating those cookies, you're doing great, but be aware that it can be just as addiciting as cake decorating. Everywhere I look, I see something and think, "Hey, that would make a cool cookie!" There just isn't enough time in the day to try it all out.

yankeegal Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with everyone else-Keep on decorating!!! Your cookies are good! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

SweetDreamsAT Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 12

Those are wonderful first time cookies, are you kidding me? Go SweetPea, Go!!! icon_smile.gif

OhioBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 12

Those are cute cookies!

I use the NFSC recipe and it's really simple and doesn't take a lot of time to mix it together...and the taste, well...they are delicious! Try them out. I also ad a dash of cinnamon to mine for an extra "kick". Everyone loves them. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 12

Aww thank you guys so much!!! I love cookies!!!! icon_lol.gif

My sis in law said they're to pretty to eat but I have a long way to go.

TracyLH Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 12

Ditto on the cinnamon! It adds a nice flavor. I also increase the vanilla extract to 3 tsp., but that is just me. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%