Lounge By cakesbydesiree Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm by loriemoms

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #91 of 137

Very informative, thank you.

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #92 of 137

I just want to let you all know, WIC is not welfare and nor is it gov. asst......

Its a program from the AGRICULTURE Department. for mothers and children.

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children - better known as the WIC Program - serves to safeguard the health of low-income women, infants, & children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating, and referrals to health care.

Just cause you see a nice dressed woman in the supper market, of father, or grandparent, do not assume the are poor or trapping the system, cause infact they are not. Makes me mad when people nit pick about low income people. The program is there so mothers and children can eat the right foods.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/aboutwic/

Take a look before you JUDGE others!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #93 of 137

this was posted,

I have been doing very well still (although brides are paying up later then they used to..and using more CCards) There has been a lot of bakeries in our area that sell speciality goods going out of business. The local cheesecake only place, the local cookie only place and even the local Doggie goodies place. and lots and lots and lots of these illegal suzie home maker trying to make extra money. (I don't feel competitive with them, but I do feel sorry for the people who are paying 2.75 a serving for a badly done Wilton Dora cake..they order it once and then come back to me) I am more nervous about how I am going to keep being able to afford gas and flour and sugar...there was one saturday when I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do deliveries because nobody had gas to sell!!

I agree, I wouldn't start a business now, because you cannot get a loan to save your life...but if you already have the money and can survive that first couple of years without any more money coming in, go for it!!
(remember, you don't make much of a profit the first couple of years..)

To which I reply, excuse me illegal Susie homemaker? I am not a licensed bakery, but in my county I don't need to be until I bring in over a certain amount per year. My clients come to me because I make better cakes than they can get at the commercial bakeries and because I specialize in out of the ordinary cakes and candies. I do live in a rural part of part of a very rural county in WI and most of my customers are referrals. I am getting more orders now because I charge $2.25 per person and not $5. I have never had anyone complain my cakes were poorly done or a bad value, on the contrary nearly all my customers remark that they feel they enjoyed great value for high quality cakes and cookies.

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #94 of 137

SO gov't moneys (TAXES) don't go to pay the farmers for their goods to alot for that? Thank you krispy1976 I will no longer be upset when people wear a $1000 worth of clothes to the grocery store and can not /or choose not to out right buy milk and juice for their child. You have changed my way of thinking. Thank you.

leaisagary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leaisagary Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #95 of 137

her clothes were probably knock offs anyway, no need to get upset

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #96 of 137

I am not upset, some people just have no common sense. I think anyone who makes a cake for a living should 1) Do it for a hobby or 2) Start a business. SO if the OP has a doubt, i will say because our family is in the financial banking sector you would be VERY luck to get ANY bank to give you a loan-Even student loans will be more and more difficult as will auto loans...banks just can't risk it. But a small business loan would be more difficult and you MAY have to put up your house, etc. for collateral and those are some high stakes. Maybe see if another baker in your area needs help??

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #97 of 137

I now know why I do not come to this site as often as I usta. This is a cake site, my I have seen so many nasty threads these last few weeks and its sad to say but where has the kindnest gone. I was just stateing do not judge a book by its cover. I see it too in our stores but sorry I do not feel the way you do about WIC, I am married to a farmer, crop and livestock and I myself just got my Lis for doing cakes. And we have young children trying to make it, ya I wish someone would buy my milk for me and a nice purse and well where should I stop! But its the ones working for the gov, and state departments that make the rules, guidlines, not you and me. The Economy SUCKS we all know, would I open a cake store now, hell no.....Sad thing is the assholes whom got us where we are today in this world, will never get us out!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #98 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

Ahh, go take a pill or something.....sheesh.

Why would you say such a mean thing to me?

I wish the best to anyone who wants to venture into their own business. It is a huge and risky step to take, one I'm not coragous enough to do.

God bless everyone here, and pray for our government to help our economy grow and flourish.

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #99 of 137

I agree, this site is not what is once was, and I too no longer post-if so rarely. I was upset when I typed that, for my son who will grow up in a day an age where THINGS are more important than responsibilities, and for the few of us who do stick to "living within our means" we are punished. SO that was my bad. But everybody here has the right to an opinion until the moderators close a thread. And it all adds up to our economy, i will continue to donate and volunteer for the Alzheimers board as long as I live for what it does for me, and maybe teach my child by example what is "Important" in this life.

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:50pm
post #100 of 137

Also, on an off note...what is up with the HOMPAGE?? ANd why the heck doesn't it ever freeze when one of MY cakes are up there! AHHHHH!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:50pm
post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlis

I agree, this site is not what is once was, and I too no longer post-if so rarely. I was upset when I typed that, for my son who will grow up in a day an age where THINGS are more important than responsibilities, and for the few of us who do stick to "living within our means" we are punished. SO that was my bad. But everybody here has the right to an opinion until the moderators close a thread. And it all adds up to our economy, i will continue to donate and volunteer for the Alzheimers board as long as I live for what it does for me, and maybe teach my child by example what is "Important" in this life.

Amen sister..I'm right there with you. I too rarely post anymore, I read them and love all the advice I get from indydeb, doug, and many many others.

I've started to just go and comment on cakes, to keep up my positive attitude and hope that I've made someone's day better instead of worse.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:52pm
post #102 of 137

For the OP: Do your research. Start making calls to find out how much it costs for a license, how much it costs for insurance, if you're required to have a commercial oven, etc. I promise that it will be an eye opener. I used to be a Small Business lender, and I was amazed at the business plans that some people would put together. It was pretty easy to see who did their homework and who was just adding "fluff" to try to impress me.

I had a customer that applied for a Small Business loan to open a comic book/video game store. His business plan stated: 45% of all "gamers" are women between the age of 40-48. icon_confused.gif I asked where he got that data and he said that it was an observation that he made while hanging out in video game stores. (excellent data source icon_rolleyes.gif )When I pointed out that his plan was missing calculations for insurance and utilities, he looked at me like I'd sprouted another head. (I think he left them out of his plan because his stated "potential" income couldn't support those expenses.)

I gave him several contacts in our area that could help him write a business plan, I steered him toward a Small Business mentor, and gave him information about the Small Business Administration. He refused to pursue any of those options. When he was denied for the loan he called our bank President to complain. We didn't lend him the money, but someone else did. The store opened and closed within 3 months.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #103 of 137

I'll tell you I am so thankful for IndyDebi, Sharon Sugarshack and many others and all their advice and kind words. I also am just posting the comments on the beautiful cakes when I come here and rarely commenting in the threads anymore-well not like I used to.
Have a good day!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #104 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicconfections

To which I reply, excuse me illegal Susie homemaker? I am not a licensed bakery, but in my county I don't need to be until I bring in over a certain amount per year.

and so that would make you legal. not illegal.

As for the WIC - while that would probably tick me off too maybe it wasnt for her? Maybe she is taking care of a family members children? Maybe she is a foster parent? And then there are some people would would really like to see a benefit to them from the tax dollars they pay too and use the system if they quailfy. If I were an American citizen and saw the handouts the government was giving out to big business I would get every last penny I could out of the government before the S#($ really hits the fan.

To the OP - are there small business grants you could capitialize on? Not loans but a grant. Check out small business tax laws and what you can write off. I would encourage you to fully write out your finances and then try different senarios - what if you have a big loss, what happens if this equipment breaks, what kind of hours are you expecting to put in, can you work PT and try this for a little while until you get a good client base?

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #105 of 137

THanks Dinas...and you are right, it was probably her sister, cousin, friend, etc. picking that up. I am not a negative person, I just caught myself in a moment of anger (and I do apologize for posting that) thinking I couldn't afford to buy my own son the things he needed if I spent all my money on niceties...but in the end-it is none of my business-they are stuck in their own circumstance. I can't get angry when/if someone takes advantage of the system-sure I pay taxes but in the end they must answer for their own transgressions not I. It is time for reform for our own economic strategy, so that all of us small business owners can stay strong!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #106 of 137
Quote:

[quote="loriemomsUnless you're licensed and legal, it's wrong because it's illegal.

Nope. They just happily fly under the raider, making cakes for their "friends" icon_sad.gif[/quote]

Would that be an Oakland Raider, or since this is the biz section, would that be a corporate raider?

Mike

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

[quote="loriemomsUnless you're licensed and legal, it's wrong because it's illegal.

Nope. They just happily fly under the raider, making cakes for their "friends" icon_sad.gif

Would that be an Oakland Raider, or since this is the biz section, would that be a corporate raider?

Mike[/quote]

hahaha! Corporate Raider of course! Go big or go home!

Or maybe like in Indiana Jones, Raider of the lost...Cake?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #108 of 137

Oh, come on, folks, can we please play nice? I love y'all, but this is getting heated, and I would really hate to see this thread get locked, because there is some really good information and opinions here.

On the other side, all of you who are in business, promise me that, unless it is the absolute last straw, you will not drop your prices until you see the price of your ingredients go down. There are projections that wheat and sugar will be providing bumper crops, so that's a good sign. Now if the price of dairy would only go down...

Theresa icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm
post #109 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

On the other side, all of you who are in business, promise me that, unless it is the absolute last straw, you will not drop your prices until you see the price of your ingredients go down. There are projections that wheat and sugar will be providing bumper crops, so that's a good sign. Now if the price of dairy would only go down...

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Not only sugar and flour, but I was talking to one of the guys who makes cake drums at the expo and he said the price of cake drums and rounds is going to go up quite a bit because of the cost of PAPER is going up sky high too!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #110 of 137

Oh, that doesn't surprise me. Back in the days of the "shortages", as they called them in the 1970's, we actually had a toilet paper shortage! Along with dairy, coffee, gas, and beef. I can't remember the other ones. Oh, yeah, and the price of bread doubled.

Funny, but it seems that all the things that there were shortages of then, are in shortage now (and even more things). Conspiracy? I think not! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Or do I? tapedshut.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #111 of 137

I decided to look it up and found this interesting list (although I guess this should just be started in a new topic)

These are some of the things you may have seen advertised Below and how much food and groceries cost in the 70's The average yearly salery in 1977 was 13,572. So I wonder how these prices compare to our average salary?

Ajax Cleaner 15 cents California 1970
Alka Selzer 39 cents Ohio 1971
Apples 59 cents for 4 pounds California 1970
Baby Lotion $1.59 Illinois 1978
Bananas 12 cents per pound California 1970
Bathroom Tissue 13 cents California 1970
Birds Eye Cool whip 38 cents Ohio 1971
Boneless Hams $2.29 per pound Nebraska 1976
Campbells Tomato Soup 10 cents California 1970
cantaloupe 89 cents for 3 California 1970
Celery 38 cents Ohio 1971
Clorox bleach 38 cents California 1970
Cranberries 29 cents per pound Ohio 1971
Crest Toothpaste 77 cents California 1970
Dogs Food $1.00 for 12 cans California 1970
Folgers Coffee $1.90 per pound Illinois 1978
Fresh Beef Liver 49 Cents per pound California 1970
Fresh Grapes 69 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Fresh Strawberries 29 cents per pound California California 1970
Fresh Turkey 43 cents per pound Ohio 1971
Frozen french Fries 69 cents for 5 pounds Ohio 1971
Frozen Pumpkin Pies 79 cents Ohio 1971
Frozen Vegetables 25 cents for 2 pks California 1970
Frozen vegetables 29 cents per pound California 1970
Frozen Vegetables 79 cents Illinois 1978
Fruit Cocktail 20 cents per can Ohio 1971
Grape jelly 25 cents California 1970
Grapefruit 99 cents for 10 California 1970
Ground beef 98 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Ground Round 79 Cents per pound Missouri 1970
Head and Shoulder Shampoo 79 cents California 1970
Heinz ketchup 19 cents California 1970
Hellmanns Mayonnaise $1.39 Illinois 1978
Idaho Potatoes 98 cents for 10 pounds Ohio 1971
jersey Maid Yogurt 19 cents California 1970
Jiffy Peanut Butter 59 cents Ohio 1971
Joy Liquid detergent 49 cents Ohio 1971
Land O lakes Butter $1.33 per pound Illinois 1978
Large AA Eggs 59 cents per dozen California 1970
Lettuce 10 cents each California 1970
Lifebouy Soup 19 cents per bar California 1970
margarine 59 cents per pound Illinois 1978 ]
Medium Eggs 25 cents per dozen Ohio 1971
Miracle Whip $1.09 Illinois 1978
Mortons Frozen Dinners $1.00 for 3 California 1970
Mortons TV Dinners 36 cents Ohio 1971
NY Strip Steaks $2.39 per pound Illinois 1978
Onions 9 cents per pound California 1970
Oranges 7 cents per pound California 1970
Oscar Meyer Bacon 88 cents per pound California 1970
Pineapples 29 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Polish Sausage $1.98 per pound Illinois 1978
Pork Chops 59 cents per pound California 1970
Pork Roast 59 cents per pound California 1970
Pork Roast $1.33 per pound Illinois 1978
Pot Roast 79 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Potatoes Chips 89 cents 24 oz bag Ohio 1971
Potatoes 9 cents per pound California 1970
Roasting Chickens 98 cents per pound Illinois 1978 '
Sirloin Steak $1.19 per pound California 1970
Sliced Boiled Ham $1.39 per pound California 1970
Sliced bread 25 cents per loaf California 1970
Sliced Loaf Bread 16 cents Ohio 1971
Star Kist Tuna 29 cents per can California 1970
Sugar 39 cents for 5 pounds California 1970
Sweet Corn 79 cents for 10 California 1970
Sweet Potatoes 14 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Tomatoes 99 cents for 4 pounds California 1970
Tomatoes 19 cents per pound California 1970
Tomatoes 49 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Turkey 68 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Turkeys 58 cents per pound California 1970
Watermelon 10 cents per pound California 1970
Wieners 69 cents per pound California 1970
Deans French Onion Dip 50 cents Illinois 1978
ground Beef 99 cents per pound Illinois 1978
Rump Roast $1.69 per pound $1.69 per pound Illinois 1978
Sliced Bacon $1.29 per pound $1.29 per pound Illinois 1978

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #112 of 137

[quote="loriemoms" The average yearly salery in 1977 was 13,572. So I wonder how these prices compare to our average salary?
[/quote]

You should check out the consumer price index which calculates the cost of a set 'basket of items' across many years- check out this link I found to the US stats http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpiovrvw.htm

You can more easily compare 'standard of living' using CPI.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:16pm
post #113 of 137

[quote="loriemoms"
Not only sugar and flour, but I was talking to one of the guys who makes cake drums at the expo and he said the price of cake drums and rounds is going to go up quite a bit because of the cost of PAPER is going up sky high too!!![/quote]\\

Well maybe we'll wake up one day soon to this headline..................

GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES PAPER SHORTAGE DUE TO THE PRINTING OF $700 BILLION DOLLARS TO COVER THE ECONOMIC BAILOUT PLAN!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist, and I figured we all could use a little laugh! I've noticed I'm a little more cranky these last couple of weeks and others around me are too.

I think we're all sick and tired of the empty promises of our Elected Leadership here in the US. It's especially frustrating for those of us that are responsible with our finances, pay our bills on time and don't expect anyone to bail us out. After all, I'm sure none of these people had a gun to their heads when they were signing on the dotted line for these mortgages that they can no longer afford.

And now one of the proposals is to "rewrite" these loans to lower the balance to the "now lower" home value. icon_confused.gif So we just forgive the rest of the money? How about people that used the equity in these homes to go on expensive trips and buy new cars and jewelry? All that is forgiven now? Wow!

I truly believe not one of them knows what the hell they are talking about. I think they should ask Warren Buffet and Bill Gates for their advice. Obviously they know what they're doing.

I'm so disgusted right now, and I really don't want to vote for either one of them. icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:17pm
post #114 of 137

iamlis, I understand how that kind of scene can get to you. We just have to remind ourselves that we don't know the whole story.

When I was divorced, I was on WIC for a short time for my kids. I worked in an office and owned a number of nice suits. But I didn't buy them while I was on WIC ... I bought them before. I try to remember that when I hear stories of "well they sure drive a nice car for someone on welfare!" They probably already owned the car before they lost their job and had to go on foodstamps. The clothes could have been a Christmas gift from mom. All kinds of things.

Sometimes you have to walk in their shoes to see a different view.

iamlis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #115 of 137

Yes, You are right and that is why I felt bad for typing something out of a one sided anger. It is so much easier to judge than try to sympathize. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:00pm
post #116 of 137

Dkelly, it's called "predatory lending" for a reason. Don't just blame it on people getting a house they can't afford, knowing so, and cashing in. Come on!

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Dkelly, it's called "predatory lending" for a reason. Don't just blame it on people getting a house they can't afford, knowing so, and cashing in. Come on!

Yep! And many of them (granted, not all ... but many) probably could afford the house just fine when they bought it ... before their job was moved to China! I'm sick of the accusation that it's ONLY the fault of "the poor stupid citizen" who has caused all of this.

Like I don't believe for a second that me sitting in a McDonald's drive thru for 47 seconds is what's causing the price of gas to go up!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #118 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Like I said nobody put a gun to their head and made them sign the note. When you close on a mortgage.......do you not read the terms and see the APR before you sign? Please don't make excuses for irresponsible ADULTS that got a mortgage they knew damn well they couldn't afford when the APR went up in 3 yrs.

Also, what happened to the regulations? I purchased my first home in 1987, we had to meet a ratio where our mortgage payment couldn't be more than 30% of our monthly income.

I built my current home in 2004........when we went for a construction loan those "predatory lenders" you refer to offered us one of those "interest only mortgages", and told us we qualified for 300k more than we needed or wanted. Sure, we could have jumped at that offer if we were irresponsible, but we were smart enough to know that we didn't want to be strapped down with a huge mortgage.

Just because someone dangles a "golden carrot" in front of you it doesn't mean you have to take it. I'm pissed that WE have to bail them and the financial institutions that got us in this mess out.....and you should be too.

indydebi..........the people who have lost their jobs obviously don't fall into this category, I'm talking of the people that could not qualify for a traditional mortgage. Yet they qualified for the sup prime mortgage, even though their credit was bad.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #119 of 137

Dkelly, you're in your own little bubble. You think only a small percentage lost their jobs? Look at the current unemployment rates. I had excellent credit before I bought my home on my own, in my own name at 26 years old. No one helped me. No one in my family, my friends, I was on my own. I was naive. I trusted what the experts told me. They said my mortgage would adjust in 2 years, no big deal, just get a refinance. Well, my home that I paid $165,000 for, two years later was worth about $145,000. Now it's been a whole 3 years and it's worth $110,000. I knew I was taking a gamble, but I never saw this "economic crisis" (have you watched t.v. lately?) coming. I never expected to lose my job and for gas to go as high as it is (my husband drives for a living). I'm not saying I'm completely innocent. But I was very naive. And I think it's wrong that the professionals in the business took advantage of me and a lot of other people. Why do you think these companies are getting into so much trouble? What they did is wrong. Period. Believe what you want, I don't care. I will survive no matter what. But I'm a tax paying citizen, too. I have rights just like you do. Just because you're not losing your house, too, doesn't mean you're better than I am. And it doesn't mean I couldn't afford my house! My house payment went from $1200/month to over $2000/month. Yeah, now I can't afford my payment given the entire situation I'm in.

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:45am
post #120 of 137

dkelly, I know that's what you meant. I just finished watching a couple of news-type shows and the pundits and the "experts" are painting everyone with the same brush. It's irritating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%