Has Anyone Ever....

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 10:34pm by jammjenks

lauralee422 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 14

applied fondant to just the sides of a cake and had buttercream on the top? I have a cake order for frogs, and I cant imagine my idea w/out green on the sides but I am concerned that all the guests will have green mouths and toungues from my green buttercream. So.. I was thinking fondant on the sides, but how would I hide my seam? And how can I be sure that it will stick (piping gel?) I would cover the top seam w/ my border, but I just don't know if this is even possible. Sorry for the long post, any and all suggestions very welcome. Thanks as aways!

13 replies
leah_s Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #2 of 14

You have to put bc under the fondant or the fondant won't stick. (Well, you could use jam, but since you're already using bc on the top of the cake . . .) Fondant doesn't stick to cake. It sticks to bc.

Likely the seam will show, unless you build some tall grass or flowers into your design.

And you put it on just like a wide ribbon - which it is. If your fondant is uber fresh it's a little tricky, but completely doable.

livvah Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 14

i wonder if you couldn't just color some royal icing to match the green fondant and do a bit of a patch job along your seam to hide it? use a damp art brush to smooth out the icing, and i'd imagine that'd work just fine!

lauralee422 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:27am
post #4 of 14

so do u guys think this will look good or should i just go ahead w/ the green buttercream? I can do the fondant, but it sounds like the main issue will be the seam in the back which I wouldn't even worry about too much. I might do the patch up with royal icing and I'll let the person know (Who is a friend) about it and to just keep it in mind. I'm so on the fence on this one!! What was worrying me is 1 it sticking (sounds like that will be ok) and the top of it (But that sounds like it would be ok too.

livvah Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 14

i think it'd work fine. i use royal icing to finish the seams between tiers when i'm stacking fondant cakes directly on top of each other, and smooth it with a spatula or a damp art brush. it works just like spackle or putty. icon_smile.gif i think your biggest problem will be matching the green of the fondant with the royal.

kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 14

Certainly it will look just fine. I have seen many pix w/major fondant over b'cream on the sides.

cheferyn Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 14

I don't know. I can't picture it but it's your call. Good luck and please post the pics.

cheferyn Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 14

I don't know. I can't picture it but it's your call. Good luck and please post the pics.

bathoryjones Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 14

Is there a reason you just don't want to cover the whole cake in fondant to eliminate all of the hastles?

karennayak Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 14

I did this once for my daughter... she much preferred buttercream over fondant at the time... so it was for taste rather than for aesthetic reasons.

The seam did not actually matter as the lunch tray had a rim which was a bit raised. Maybe you could think of something... grass/bulrushes..which could be cut out of fondant and used to break the line of the seam.

Good luck with the cake.
Karen

Fast food cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=70509

lauralee422 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all the feedback!

Well I guess I could do the seam in back it wouldn't matter too much? And worst case scenario can just pipe some b/c over it? My issue with the fondant on the whole cake is that the birthday boy did actually request buttercream but would be ok if fondant covered part of the cake and it's the filling too. I love the fast food cake that looks great, but it seems like the fondant goes above the top of the cake, i wanted mine to be flush with the cake almost like you couldnt' tell it was fondant? I might be overthinking this too much.. UGH! I"m stressing! And it's due on Sat am!!

lauralee422 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 14

OH! Also if anyone has got pictures of fondant on the side of a cake w/ buttercream top can u send them? I can't figure out how to search for that in the gallery.

alidpayne Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 14

Maybe I am over-simplifying this, but why could you not just cover the whole cake in fondant, then cut around the top edge, remove the fondant from there, and then touch up your buttercream (or add some more green buttercream if you used white under the fondant)? Then you wouldn't have a seam at all.

There may be a reason this won't work, but if it were me I would do it this way.

jammjenks Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 14

If the only reason is because you don't want people to have green mouths, I think you'd still be ok with all bc. Unless you use multiple bottles of green coloring, the color shouldn't come off much. Even if it does, it wouldn't be for long. JMO

of course, this is coming from a mostly-bc-rarely-fondant decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%