Gluten Free Cake

Decorating By justgale Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 4:10am by ceshell

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a gluten free cake? I have a lady who wants me to make her one for an ice cream cake.

6 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 7

I like using Tom Sawyer GF flour in my regular recipe. www.glutenfreeflour.com
You can sub it cup for cup with AP flour, and it already has Xanathan Gum added...

stephi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephi17 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 7

As a person who has to eat gluten free because of Celiac disease, I have found it extremely hard to find recipes that have both good texture and flavor. It seems that if it tastes good, it's gritty, and if it's the right texture, the flavor is off somehow.
After trying too many recipes, I stick with a mix. Some mixes aren't so great, but Pamela's cake mix (comes in both chocolate and white) is really tasty. After trying and not being able to beat it with a homemade recipe, I've given up!!
You can find them in most grocery store in the special foods section, but Amazon sells them on-line and has free shipping over $25. The only catch is you have to buy a case of them (6 mixes). They are usually a dollar or two cheaper per mix from Amazon.
Depending on the gluten-free person, they may not mind the gritty texture, after a while you kind of get used to it ... just not something I'm willing to live with!
Good luck with your hunt, and if you find something fantastic, let me know!! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 7

LOL Whenever I see a gluten-free thread I always have to chime in.

For an ice cream cake I'd recommend the yellow gf cake listed in the taste-test link below, it would work well for that purpose. The only hitch is that recipe contains xanthan gum, which can be expensive if you only need a tsp. I'd send you a tsp of mine! but that would be weird icon_wink.gif. It was not gritty but I did use the "thai rice flour" ...oh the lengths to which I will go to help a friend...Some of the below links list some other TNT gf baking mixes though. If you do try one using rice flour, try to find normal rice flour, not "sweet rice flour." You don't mention where you are but it is easily found at Asian markets.

Anyway here's what I posted in August:

"Here's a CC thread about gluten free baking: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592370.html

... be sure to follow the link in that thread to another thread where I posted a gluten-free cake taste test using two (well, 3--one was a yellow cake that I also baked as a chocolate) GF recipes, here's the link by itself too http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=522883&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=glutenfree&&start=0

Also note from that thread, there are some cakes that by their very nature are GF - "flourless chocolate cake" aka truffle cake, is absolutely divine. If you don't have a problem with nuts, I made a flourless chocolate hazelnut cake once that totally rocked my world (and I have no problems eating flour)."

Truffle cake would actually be sooooooooooo good with ice cream on top, it would be the perfect complement to the rich cake. However I am not sure how truffle cake would taste when served cold, it might be too firm as it is quite dense.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #5 of 7

I know Dixieâs lists all five varieties of their Icings (including the Special recipe one for Ice Cream cakes) as being Gluten Free. They are also Dairy Free, Nut Free, High Fructose Corn Syrup Free, Cholesterol Free, and have 0 grams Transfat. And they all taste yummy icon_biggrin.gif

Here is the nutritional info from their website:

http://web.me.com/dixiesicing/Site/NutritionInfo.html

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:04am
post #6 of 7

http://www.recipezaar.com/182083

I have used this cake recipe before. I found it tasted really good and the friend I made the cake for loved it.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:10am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikamj

http://www.recipezaar.com/182083

I have used this cake recipe before. I found it tasted really good and the friend I made the cake for loved it.

Yep, that's the one I taste tested in my above thread! When I did my taste test I had my husband and MIL try all three cakes, I did not tell them they were GF and they did not realize that was the case. thumbs_up.gif

If you follow that thread it also shows a chocolate option for this same cake, although if you were going to make the chocolate version I'd say just make the Hershey's GF cake since you don't have to buy the xanthan gum for the Hershey's recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%