Problem With Gumpaste

Decorating By misha35 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 2:54am by misha35

misha35 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 4

i'm trying to make gumpaste ballet slippers. I made my gumpaste this morning according to the instructions on the gumtex container (sugar, water, gluose, gumtex). I let it set over 8 hours. i went back to try and work the remaining sugar back in & it was too flaky. i tried adding a little shortening... no luck. Can anyone help me?

I'm trying adding gumtex to rolled buttercream now so I can try a different avenue but really would like to be able to use the gumpaste. Thanks in advance for your help.

3 replies
2508s42 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 4

Try mixing it into some fondant. Knead it very very well, though. More fondant than gp. It should salvage it.

I have had this happen to me on some recipes that I used egg in, as opposed to merenge powder. Now I never use the real egg unless I am desperate.

kakeladi Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 4

..... trying adding gumtex to rolled buttercream....

Nope, that's not going to work icon_sad.gif

Have you tried adding more water? If it's flakey that means to me it is too dry. Take a golf ball sized piece & dip it in water; work it in well. It might get all sticky and yucky; if you can't stand that on your hands, rinse them off, dry them & continue working that lump.

For future info: *Don't* use Wilton's gumtexicon_sad.gif
Go to Nicholas Lodge's site and use his recipe. Basically, it's royal icing w/Tylose added. Much, much better than what you are using.

misha35 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 4

OK, the gumtex in rolled buttercream - not working. Worked water in with a little crisco - working like a charm. thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%