Another "how Much Would You Charge"...

Business By mama5kiddos Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm by costumeczar

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 2

I just made this babyshower cake, and it is the LAST of my "special" pricing (to get my portfolio going). I threw in all fondant work for free, partly my fault. I had told her I would throw in the baby for free, but meant to say IF she ordered the other fondant work too (animals were on the original design)...she then said she didnt need the animals, but it was pretty clear I made an oopsie, and couldnt go back on my word/quote. So I knew before baking, that the baby was going to be free of charge, and then I had extra fondant so I just designed it with the moon and stars, again, free of charge since it was my "surprise" and I knew it would look better in a pic for my portfolio.

I gave her the invoice which showed my "normal" rates would be $105 for this same cake in the future, but she got it for just $45 (and fondant was all free).

How much would you charge? It is a double layered 12" round, with fondant moon and stars, and a fondant sculpted sleeping baby/blanket.

I just want to make sure my "regular" pricing is about right, since I am going to now go by this price sheet.

TIA!
LL

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 2

I'd charge more than $105, probably closer to $150. 12" rounds will serve around 50, so $3 a serving would be $150 for that. $3 would be my lowest price for party cakes.

I had a previous client email me today about getting a two-tiered cake for her husband's birthday, and wanted to know how much for 30 servings. I told her $90 and she of course came back with "would the price be lower for only one tier?" I told her no, I price by the serving not the number of tiers. I didn't bother to tell her that I was discounting already becasue she's a previous client. If she wants to pay me then fine, otherwise I'll wait until the next paying client comes along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%