Trying To Decide - Mmf, Rbc Or Ri

Baking By toleshed Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm by toleshed

toleshed Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 11

I normally use MMF - love how easy it is to work with. Don't really like the consistency and chewiness. Love the look of the RI or Toba's but its soooo sweet. Haven't tried the RBC. But I have heard about the greasiness.
What are everyones thoughts and comments? I have about 4 dz cookies waiting to be "dressed" in something. thanks all

10 replies
toleshed Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 11

Also - I just looked at the recipe for RBC. Is there anything I can use instead of lemon and orange oil? The nearest cake store is quite a ways away

AmazingGraceCakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 11

I use Antonia74 RI and add less sugar than it calls in the cookie recipe.

Win Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think you'd like using the rolled buttercream for your project... I find it tricky to work with and you might find yourself pulling your hair out before it is over. I did see an article where a decorator combined the rbc and fondant; however, and that intrigued me. detective.gif My personal recommendation would be looking up Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant on this site. It is AWESOME!!! Lovely to work with.

edited for spelling error. icon_redface.gif

Jenni2383 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 11

Mixing mmf and rbc?? That sounds very interesting!! If you use rbc, you will need a freezer, it makes transfering the cut-out of icing to the hot cookie sooooooooooo much easier. You will have to blot with a viva papertowel after they cool to remove the grease. I personally don't like it on my cookies but my kids, dh, and customers say they love it.

edited to say:
I haven't ever put any lemon or orange oil in my rbc?.?.

toleshed Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 11

sorry - some confusion. I'm not using both MMF and RBC. Trying to decide which one to use.

jennifer7777 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 11

You may want to try adding a little salt to cut the sweetness of the glaze.

You can flavor RBC with any flavoring...doesn't have to be the oils listed in the recipe. My favorite flavor is my butter-vanilla emulsion.

As far as the greasiness of RBC...using cornstarch and putting the cutouts in the freezer will help a lot! The cornstarch will help to absorb some of the grease, and putting the cutout in the freezer to set up a bit just makes it easier to work with.

mandifrye Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #8 of 11

Try Michelle Foster's fondant... I like working with it much better than MMF and it tastes better, too. It has somewhat of a different consistancy. Try it, you will be pleasently surprised!

toleshed Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 11

Does Michelles fondant absolutely have to sit after you make it? I'm sitting here with a bunch of cookies.

mandifrye Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 11

I have never tried it without letting it sit. So, I can't answer that honestly. But, MMF is supposed to sit, too and I have used it right after making.

Maybe Michelle's isn't best for this one, but you should try it in the future. I suck at piping and if I am going to decorate cookies, it better be something like fondant or RBC. Piping only for details! thumbs_up.gif

toleshed Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 11

I have 6 week old mmf. Rhondas. Do you think its still good?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%