I Can Never Go Back

Decorating By absijails Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 11:51pm by ceshell

absijails Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 71

I just made my first batch of SMBC... Holy smokes! I can never go back. What am I going to do with all the ps I have stashed away?

Now, my question - it's so smooth that I didn't have any problems smoothing it out, but how do you get rid of the spatula marks? Does anyone out there have a video, or know of a good video demonstrating icing with a non-crusting bc?

Thank you to everyone that has suggested SMBC!!!!!!

70 replies
chutzpah Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 71

Welcome to the Frosting Snob Club.

No more crunchy-gritty-sandy-grainy powdered sugar icings for you!!!



Chutzpah.... President and Founder of the Frosting Snob Club.

ceshell Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:14am
post #3 of 71

Welcome to the fantastic world of meringue buttercreams! We're so glad to have another convert. It pains me to see people eating ps buttercream. That said, I just did a cake with matching cupcakes for the kids, but iced the cupcakes in cream cheese icing (ps based). They were delicious. Dang it.

Anyway have you seen this thread where ShirleyW and Antonia74 discuss techniques and tools for smoothing your MBC? I know you are looking for a video and you say it's already smooth, but getting rid of spatula marks is part of the smoothing process, no? http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=15

For me I just refrigerate again for a few minutes before tackling it with a warm scraper for the last time...ever so gently and lift the scraper out and away as I complete my smoothing stroke. Practice helps!

Gefion Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:22am
post #4 of 71

I looooooove meringue buttercream. It's the best!

(butialsoloveathickfudgypowderedsugarfrostingbeatensmoothpleasedonttellanyone) tapedshut.gif

MissRobin Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 71

I made meringue buttercream, SMBC, on a cake order I had last year, and I thought it was so nice to work with, however, one of my friends who was at the bday party, asked me what kind of icing I used this time, she didn't like it as well as my other. Some people just don't like the taste for some reason, I don't know if it is too buttery or what, I personally think it is very good.

loriemoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I made meringue buttercream, SMBC, on a cake order I had last year, and I thought it was so nice to work with, however, one of my friends who was at the bday party, asked me what kind of icing I used this time, she didn't like it as well as my other. Some people just don't like the taste for some reason, I don't know if it is too buttery or what, I personally think it is very good.




I think this is like scratch cakes..people are so used to the sweetness and texture of american buttercream, they don' t know a good thing when they taste it! haha1

I am a home baker and it is forbidden in our area to use SMBC or IMBC as we are not allowed to use anything that require refrigeration. But for I still use a non crusting buttercream...it is so much easier to work with and just LOOKS better. There is something funky to me about the way the crusting buttercream looks. I guess its just me. Or maybe me just thinking of people taking paper towels and computer paper and rubbing it all over my cake. yeck.

As far as smoothing, it takes practice..I still have little marks on my cakes, but I think I am the only one who notices them..

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 71

ceshell thanks for that link! i think i've read it in the past but now i'm gonna review it. thanks again!

oh and welcome to the meringue bc club. it's so delicious, ain't it? icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 71

loriesmom--it doesn't have to be refrigerated. I thought that pertained to things like cheesecake and stuff like that? Highly perishables that become hazardous in mere hours as opposed to meringue icings can stay out for days and be fine. Yes?

Gefeion-yoursecretissafewithme : ) metoo!!! icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by absijails



Now, my question - it's so smooth that I didn't have any problems smoothing it out, but how do you get rid of the spatula marks?





I wouldn't even try to smooth it out - I'd go with a finish that looks like Italian plaster or take your knife and run it up and down the outside of the cake to make a finish that looks - hmmmm...how do I describe it - kind of like vertical pleats??? Does that make sense? I did that for a bridal shower cake because I was having issues smoothing the regular bc and I absolutely LOVED the finished look. It looks like it's supposed to be that way and not just wonky bc.

Congrats on discovering this wonderful delicacy - it's so much more sophisticate than psbc.

FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 71

2 words.. bench scraper.

get it smoothed on and then warm up your bench scraper and give it a whirl around the cake. It takes off the spatula marks.

jessfmaldonado Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 71

Oh gosh, isn't is delish!!!!! Like nice creamy yummy ice cream is what I say. It is the only thing I use. I do have trouble getting it smooth too, but most of my cakes are covered with fondant. However I know I have to perfect the smoothness soon, of course someone is not going to want fondant one day. Ugh. What do you all do for cream cheese icing? Do you add it to the SMBC or do a ps/butter mix with the cream cheese? I have used marscapone for a tiramisu filling but was wondering if anyone uses the SMBC for Cream Cheese filling as well. TIA!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

loriesmom--it doesn't have to be refrigerated. I thought that pertained to things like cheesecake and stuff like that? Highly perishables that become hazardous in mere hours as opposed to meringue icings can stay out for days and be fine. Yes?

Gefeion-yoursecretissafewithme : ) metoo!!! icon_lol.gif




In our area, anything with real eggs in it is in danger of salmonella, so they require refrigeration. The same with anything with a large ratio of milk, like many mousses. We also cannot use fresh fruit in our fillings.

The humidity is so high here too, that after a day of sitting out, the buttercream gets yecky looking. I try to refrigerate all my cakes (it makes it nicer for transport) but sometimes I just dont have room.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 71

Where is the link for this recipe? Thanks!

loriemoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Where is the link for this recipe? Thanks!




I can do better then that! A great demo I bookmarked ages ago

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=87490

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 71

Does anyone make a meringue buttercream with meringue powder??? Wonder what that'd be like.

jadex77x Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 71

just out of curiosity.... what is smbc ... i kinda figured bc= buttercream.. but havent figured out the sm part ... help fill a noob in icon_smile.gif thnx

yellobutterfly Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 71

swiss meringue buttercream...I've been dying to try it but I think my family would flog me - they're addicted to lard buttercream - they freak out if I even used whipped icing (which I think is yummy)...

on a side note, have any of you made mbc with margarine or do you know if it would work? I did taste someone's mbc once and it did taste like I was just eating butter...uh...

JessDesserts Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 71

I've been meaning to make it again and not tell them what they're eating to see what their reaction is. ( I bring in my 'experiments' to my co-workers, hence "they")

I did use SMBC when I made caramel appletini cc's, but I flavored it with caramel.......oh yeah and then drizzeled it with more caramel icon_razz.gif

Pastry-Panda Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #19 of 71

Yea!! SMBC is the best!!! It's the only kind I use , I don't like grease cream (american buttercream)!!!!

If your SMBC is to "buttery" then add more flavorings , I really like pure vanilla and rum. I'd rather my BC be to "buttery" Than gritty and greasy from powdered sugar and shortening!!!

The only exception to PS based frostings is cream cheese frosting because you can make it so that you don't have the powdery taste , and you don't use shortening.

So does this mean I can be a cake snob too?

Mencked Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #20 of 71

What is the difference between SMBC and IMBC as in recipe-wise?

3GCakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 71

Hello!

I love IMBC and make it all the time, and I prefer it mostly with melted and cooled white chocolate in it. Totally knocks out the butter overload flavor, and helps it firm up well too.

K8, I've made it with powdered egg whites (CK brand) and also with Wilton COlorflo, which is basically powdered egg whites. Both worked very well. I have not used Meringue powder for the meringue because it has too many extra ingredients, whereas the Color flo does not. I usually use the carton egg whites that are pasteurized because I'm too chicken to use fresh eggs, though the first time I made it I did use fresh eggs. I don't want to have cook the eggs because I am not a meticulous person and I wouldn't pay attention and would end up with sweet scrambled eggs.

PinkZiab Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

What is the difference between SMBC and IMBC as in recipe-wise?




The difference here is technique--the ingredients are the same (although the proportions can be different depending on who you talk to). In SM you cook the egg whites and sugar over a bain marie before whipping to peaks, in IM the sugar is cooked (with a little water) to soft-ball stage and then pour into the whipping egg whites.

loriemoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #23 of 71

I have heard it doesnt work....nor does the pastrurized egg whites you can buy...

loriemoms Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Hello!

I love IMBC and make it all the time, and I prefer it mostly with melted and cooled white chocolate in it. Totally knocks out the butter overload flavor, and helps it firm up well too.

K8, I've made it with powdered egg whites (CK brand) and also with Wilton COlorflo, which is basically powdered egg whites. Both worked very well. I have not used Meringue powder for the meringue because it has too many extra ingredients, whereas the Color flo does not. I usually use the carton egg whites that are pasteurized because I'm too chicken to use fresh eggs, though the first time I made it I did use fresh eggs. I don't want to have cook the eggs because I am not a meticulous person and I wouldn't pay attention and would end up with sweet scrambled eggs.




So you have gotten the pastrized egg whites to work? I heard it seperates everything...

jessfmaldonado Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I have heard it doesnt work....nor does the pastrurized egg whites you can buy...




I use pasteurized egg whites. It is easier than having to separate a ton of eggs!

I also use 1/4 pure vanilla in my SMBC, so DELISH! No buttery flavor here, I also use vanilla beans!

jessfmaldonado Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #26 of 71

Sorry meant to say a 1/4 cup of vanilla.

The Past. eggs do not make the SMBC separate. It's just like doing it with the fresh egg whites!

FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #27 of 71

If you find it to be too buttery make it with unsalted butter and add more vanilla. It makes a HUGE difference.

Meringue powder I'd be iffy on since it has sugar and gums and a bunch of other stuff, but powdered egg whites would work fine. People have mixed results with pasturized egg whites in the cartons. They do make a type for meringues I've heard.

PinkZiab Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:56pm
post #28 of 71

If you're using your SMBC under fondant, I HIGHLY recommend vanilla bean paste for flavoring--YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

jessfmaldonado Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

If you're using your SMBC under fondant, I HIGHLY recommend vanilla bean paste for flavoring--YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!




Ohhhh I def use Nielson-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste all the time!!!!! Sooooooooooooo Good!!!

FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #30 of 71

Jess.. what brand of pasturized egg whites do you use? I'd love to not separate a bazillion eggs.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%