Defrosting Cake.condensation Forms Under Saran Wrap..huh??

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 12:51am by Deb_

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #31 of 37

I think I read that k8memphis is brushing with syrup before freezing??? If so, that's where the moisture is coming from that is condensing on the inside. For those of us that are't doing that, there should be no ice crystals or other moisture inside the package unless there is a poor seal.

I think that is the difference.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:41pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I don't ever have any ice crystals either?

The only reason I started letting mine defrost in the wrappings because I read several times on this website that it worked so well. And it has for me! I've been especially pleased when defrosting chocolate candies (like cake balls or molded candies). It has been a fantastic discovery.

I'm sorry that not everyone has had success with this method. Come to my house and use my supplies and my stinky freezer and you'll probably have success as well.

I have no condensation because I unwrap my stuff.
I'm thinking I don't need the success 'cause I don't want the wet mess.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:43pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I think I read that k8memphis is brushing with syrup before freezing??? If so, that's where the moisture is coming from that is condensing on the inside. For those of us that are't doing that, there should be no ice crystals or other moisture inside the package unless there is a poor seal.

I think that is the difference.

The splash is inside the cake.

Condensation forms from temperature changes.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:

The only reason I started letting mine defrost in the wrappings because I read several times on this website that it worked so well. And it has for me! I've been especially pleased when defrosting chocolate candies (like cake balls or molded candies). It has been a fantastic discovery.

I'm sorry that not everyone has had success with this method. Come to my house and use my supplies and my stinky freezer and you'll probably have success as well.

Speaking of cake balls...so you can freeze them eh? I'm assuming uncovered in chocolate. How do you freeze them? Do you have to wait for them to come to room temp before dipping them? I plan on making some for the holidays but i love anything that gives me added time..freezing is one of them. icon_biggrin.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:33pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Quote:

Speaking of cake balls...so you can freeze them eh? I'm assuming uncovered in chocolate. How do you freeze them? Do you have to wait for them to come to room temp before dipping them? I plan on making some for the holidays but i love anything that gives me added time..freezing is one of them. icon_biggrin.gif

Let's see...I haven't made any since last Christmas, so I have to think hard. icon_smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that I merely wrapped in plastic and placed in a container with a very tight seal. I'm sure about the container and I think I did wrap in plastic to be extra safe. I didn't freeze for longer than 2 weeks or so, but last year I asked the same question, and others had frozen for much longer.

I have also frozen the undipped balls for several weeks and then dipped them. That worked well too!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #36 of 37

I always open the top of the foil (I double wrap in foil when I freeze the cakes) so the top of the cake can "breathe" and the condensation can evaporate and the cakes are fine.

I leave the parchment paper on the bottom of the cakes when I freeze them so after they've thawed I can peel off the parchment and they're ready to torte. Never have soggy bottoms. icon_lol.gif

JR

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #37 of 37

I remember reading on a thread here a while ago about different types of freezers and why some are better for freezing cakes and breads than others are. I believe the explanation had something to do with the self defrosting verses manual defrosting models. Does anyone remember that thread? I'm going to try to search for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%