Help..looking For....plastic Tubes Used As Dowel Rods

Decorating By Breezy522 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm by linda2530

Breezy522 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 15

I am looking for the plastic tubes that are used as dowel rods. I have seen them used on ace of cakes and a couple of other cake decorating shows. Does anyone know where I can find them. They look like they are much easier to use than the wooden dowels. Actually they look like jumbo straws to me. As always thanks for the help

14 replies
Malakin Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 15

I am looking for them also. Sugarshack said they were bubble tea straws but I don't know where to get the either.

sillywabbitz Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 15

If you're looking for bubble tea straws, stop by a bubble tea shop and see if they will sell you a box or 2. Also some ice cream shops use Shake straws which are much fatter than regular straws.

bubble tea is pretty in right now so you should be able to google "bubble tea" + city and find a place near you.

good luck.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 15

look at restuarant supply stores.... or asian grocery stores.

msthang1224 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 15

I just bought 4 packs at Michaels Craft Store. Plastic dowel rods

Cakepro Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #6 of 15

I used to use the plastic dowel rods by Wilton but then discovered bubble tea straws and never looked back. They are wonderful, and dirt cheap. 50 for $1.29 at my local Asian grocery store.

Malakin Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:51am
post #7 of 15

Okay, love the suggestions, but live in the boonies here! I have no restaurants, worth mentioning, no dessert ice cream parlors, no restaurant supply places, definitely no tea shops, and Michael's is almost a 2 hours drive for me with high Wilton prices. Anybody know some place online? Please...

Breezy522 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 15

Malakin - I found them online at this store I wish I would have gone to the asian food store. They were 2.99 for a bag of 50, but the shipping will kill you. I ordered 3 bags to make it worth while and shipping was still $6.00 I hope this helps. And thanks to everyone for the advice.

Malakin Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 15

Awesome. I've already ordered some now. Have you used this already?

sweetcakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #10 of 15

i also like the straws from racetrac for their frozen drinks. surely you have a racetrac gas station near you.

Cake4ever Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 15

I use Toba's method of using lollipop sticks for dowels and a large bamboo skewer for a center dowel if necessary. It's already sharpened on the end, just tap down and it's done. thumbs_up.gif Just use dykes to cut the sticks or skewer! By using the stick and skewers you don't mess up as much cake... icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 15

I don't know what bubble tea straws are, but a friend of mine uses straws she bought at the $1 store. They're different colors, larger around than regular drinking straws and very sturdy. I helped her with a cake one day and was shocked at how sturdy these straws are.

sweetcravings Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 15

I just bought some at an oriental grocery store in the city. But in the past i just used the biggest size straw i could find that didnt' bend..and it worked just fine. I just used more of them.

2chae Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 15

I get mine from

linda2530 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 15

You can also use "Potable Water" PVC pipe, it is easy to cut with a PVC pipe cutter, doesn't cost a lot when purchased at a large home supply store, cut them to any length, very strong, easy to clean and with a little effort you can get all of the writing off of the sides of them.
I buy them 6 or so at a time and keeps me going for a while. I also live in a rural area and I discovered these in a tight when I did not have time to get to a cake store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%