Florist Wire..what Size????

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 5

This weekend I did a cake and for the first time I used florist wire to "hang" fondant flowers. Once I put the flowers on and stuck the wire in the cake it began to fall over....what did I do? Do I need thicker wire? Can some one help me?

4 replies
Lady_Phoenix Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on the size and weight of the flower, I use anywhere from a 16 to a 24 ga wire. The higher the number, the smaller and thinner the wire.

Malakin Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 5

In my photos, the really dark photo that is hard to see, I did a flower pot on a table with gumpaste flowers springing up out of the flower pot. I made these on 20 ga wire as they needed to stand up out of the cake and I needed to curve the wires to make them look like tendrils to hold the hearts on them. When I inserted them into the cake, I put the flowers into a Wilton flower pic filled with fondant. They stayed upright on the hour long deliver. For lighter flowers I use 26 ga. The smaller/lighter the flower weight the higher the gauge for me.

weirkd Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 5

Also, dont insert the wires directly into the cake. Sometimes the wires are too heavy for the cake and will cut threw it anyways. You can insert drinking straws into the cake and then the wires into them.

alvarezmom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help. I was about to give up on using them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%