Animal Print

Decorating By dannee24 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm by sweetcakes

dannee24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dannee24 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 10

Alright now I've got an animal print cake to do...Help what is the best method of getting this effect onto the cake. I won't turn the cake down. I love the challenge just need a little input on what works best. Should I use fondant? or Buttercream? I know I could do an eatable imagine on buttercream she wants animal print with neon colors. She wants at least two tiers and a small individual one. Any ideas on pricing? I know this depends on fondant or buttercream but I was thinking if I do buttercream $100... this will be feeding 50-60 people and I will be delivering. I know this depends on the area a lot but just generally speaking, Any thoughts???

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 10

Which animal print do you need to do?
To serve 50-60 I suggest a 10" sq (4" tall) w/a 6" round on top.
For that I would charge about $100-125 for b'cream w/fondant trims.
BUT.....But........but........what animal comes in neon colors?????????
Oh well, electric yellow &/or green; spots in yellow gold w/brown & black ..... will that do?

dannee24 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 10

The square and round is a great idea. It's for a little girls first birthday so what I was thinking of doing may be was try to get a hot pink buttercream (that's not going to be easy) and maybe an eatable image. Or fondant trims as you said. Make the edges animal print and the tops would be the hot pink as for the solo cake I think maybe just a smaller round will do. But yeah...idk of any neon colored animals. It's a wild one. She was wanting at least zebra and leopard print...not sure how to get the leopard print effect though.. Thanks for your suggestions

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 10

here is a Zebra cake I did, you could easily change the colors icon_smile.gif

its BC with fondant accents.
LL

dannee24 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 10

Your cake is awesome. That's buttercream w/fondant accents???? How'd you get the BC so smooth? See I really like this one it's really cute and simple yet not so simple design. Thanks

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 10

SHARON'S SUGARSHACK BC RECIPE!!!!!!

Oh it is brilliant. Just make sure to roll the fondant really thin icon_smile.gif

dannee24 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 10

It looks almost as if it's fondant...Thanks for recipe referral. I'm using that recipe next time around for sure. It looks fantastic great job.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 10

thank you!! All of sharon's tips are fantastic.

She is the reason my buttercream is smoother... I am still trying to profect it...

tinabsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabsweet Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:24am
post #9 of 10
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 10

for the leopard print ice the cake in pink buttercream then use a tip and black icing to make random irregular C shapes for the print, when you smooth them out with a paper towel they will spread out a bit and be even more irregular like leopard print. it may be a better idea to use the neon colours for trim or borders and keep the animal print natural IMO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%