Needing Info On Making Barbie Cake...please

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm by kakeladi

PollyMaggs Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 15

I get to make my 1st barbie cake next week, using a ball pan with a 9" layer underneath only because thats the only pans I have to use. I am going to carve the gown to shape....How do I use a whole Barbie...for example,... putting it in the cake, and making it stay standing? And how many will this feed? Any help would be greatly appreciated

14 replies
Cake4ever Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 15

Hi there. I have made them several times and they are very easy to carve. Just wrap the barbie in plastic wrap up to her waist and wrap a "belt" of tape around her waist. Measure her standing up against your layers to see how tall she will stand, to make sure you have a deep enough cake for her to stand in. The cake itself should be firm in order to support her. I have never had a problem with them standing once I put them inside. I core it out like an apple and make it a tiny bit wider at the top, so she is easily inserted. Don't core all the way down to the bottom, let that cake on the bottom be tight to aid in support. KWIM? Just think of sort of a cone shape, but not as wide at the mouth.

Check out my gallery for the quinceanera cake I did. I had her standing on a 3 inch deep 6 inch cake, in reality her feet were at the base.

I have no idea how many it would serve. At least 6 to 8?

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, if Barbie has long hair, make sure to trim her hair so that it is off the buttercream skirt.

kakeladi Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 15

I don't think one layer plus a 1/2 ball is going to be tall enough.
You might be better baking 9, 8, 7,6" rounds - one layer each.

SkisInOkinawa has some good advice.
Measure how *wide* the doll is at the h's important to get the hole wide enough for her hips but not wider. If not wide enough it can split the cake completelyicon_sad.gif
If you bake the rounds as suggested above, cut the hole in all but the lgst one.

Oh BTW: If y ou have a KitchenAid mixer you can bake her skirt in thaticon_smile.gif OR any bowl that can be put into the oven that's tall, but not wide.

tmt Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 15

i made one of these for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I used the wonder mold pan plus an 8" round underneath. It was exactly the correct height. I used a cake mix, it wasn't a particularly dense cake even though I was concerned that it needed to be.

i wrapped the barbie's legs in plastic as the others have noted. ALso, be sure to put her arms UP before putting her in the cake because her arms will hit your cake. I also pulled her hair up too, so it didn't get in my way while I iced.

PollyMaggs Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you all so much, you make it sound so easy. I was just told by my DH that the cake is for 2 girls ages 7 and 13 and now he wants a cake with barbie and flowers...very girly and age "Appropriate" for both of them... Any suggustions? Besides killing the DH ( its for one of his empoyee's DD's and a freebie)

kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 15

How can you make *on e* doll cake age approiate for a teen and a 1st grader?? icon_sad.gif

The very girly and flowers is no problem but.......
Maybe later I'll go thru the gallery & find some doll cakes for you to find inspiration.

PollyMaggs Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 15

kakeladi...I know!!!! Hence the wanting to kill the DH...LOL I was thinking about a 12" round, torted 3" high with a few(3) stone steps leading up to it (you know carved like the piano cakes) with a stone patio surrounded by grass and flowers and a fence around the back side of the cake with flowers on the fence and a small barbie cake (Not a full size doll) standing on top of the patio. Does that make sense? I will "try" to add a pic of what I am thinking. Tell me if this would look ok, I can see it in my head but dont know if it will look ok on cake, if you know what I mean...please and thank you.

kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 15

Oh my! What an ambisious(sp?) creation! .....And, and, and.........a *freebie*?????
It sounds (& looks) great.

mellormom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 15

Remember it's free! LOL Sounds fun though. icon_smile.gif

PollyMaggs Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 15

I know I am, but it is the only way I can practice and get used to all the different techniques that I am learning from you pros here on CC. Plus I really love it. Thank you again I really appreciate your help. I will let you know how it turns out. If I am still sane enough to type after this one.

ccarroca Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 15

Hey Polly, I am doing a barbie cake this weekend. It is going to be tiered, a 14 and a 12 round. Then I am going to cut a straight line for stairs. I am going to use two torted pieces so the stairs will not be as tall as the height of the 12 inch cake. I will then place a "glass slipper" on the bottom stair. I will make it girly then take a picture. Next after the picture for my portfolio, I am going to place pirates all over the cake (it's a princess and pirate party - there are more bos then girls - LOL). I want to make it look like they are going to steal the shoe!! We'll see....

It looks good in my mind anyway! My favorite cinderella cake is the one that is pink with the pillow and the glass slipper. I originally thought I was going to do that AND make a doll cake. Wow, now that I think of it - the pirates will all look like little people - whats the PC term for that?

Maybe I will play more, have one more day until bake off!!!

PollyMaggs Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #13 of 15

Hey Catherine,
That is a cute idea... I think it will be adorable. You have to send me pics before and after the pirates...LOL. I mixed all my colors today for my flowers, I am going with light(pastel) and dark(hot), yellow, pink, peachy orange and green. I think that will be girly enough. I mixed my fondant for the stone walkway and stairs, and already make about 5 dozen mini flowers...only about 140 to go...LOL it's gonna drive me batty before its all over. I will keep ya posted.

PollyMaggs Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 15

Ok...I did is the Barbie cake completed. The two girls just loved it. I made it so that the barbie cake could be removed and given to the 7 y/o as her own personal cake. She wouldn't let anyone cut it. Thanks to everyone for their help on this one.

kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #15 of 15

Good gravy!!!!!! What a great creation you made them! No wonder everyone was pleased with iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%