Need Help On Buttercream!!!!

Decorating By Landert Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm by DsLady614

Landert Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 2

My mother in law is wanting me to make a replicate of her wedding cake for her 25th anniversary, which in and of itself is a fairly simple cake. The problem is that she wants specialty flavored cakes.... a beer cake, a chocolate merlot cake and a chocolate/orange cake with slivered almonds in the middle. I don't have a problem making the cakes but the whole cake was originally white buttercream icing and I am having a hard time with putting that icing on those cakes...flavor wise. I was thinking even a cream cheese buttercream would taste better but I don't know if that will stiffen up enough to smooth??? or does anyone have any suggestions on icing flavors for these cakes that can be made in white icing??? Help!

1 reply
DsLady614 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 2

I guess I don't understand why you're having a hard time with the idea of the taste of buttercream on at least two of those cakes. As for the beer one... just EWWWWWWWWWWW....LOL!! Can't think of a single icing that would taste good there anyway.

I use a buttercream recipe from a lady named Serious_Cakes. You can find her recipe on her videos on Youtube. She is also around here a lot. I don't find it to be overly sweet and can be flavored any way. I used it on an orange cake with chocolate ganache filling a while back and it was excellent. Buttercream is, in my opinion, the perfect covering for any flavor of cake, just alter the "extracts" in it to match the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%