Question Regarding Sharon From Sugarshacks Icing Recipe

Decorating By stephmal Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm by mcdonald

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #31 of 54

Thanks Sharon and granny! I think I'll try it w/ a different flavoring and maybe I'll try to thicken it for flowers and see what happens. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier! icon_biggrin.gif

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #32 of 54

You guys are making me want to eat spoonfuls of bc, LOL. I have seen tons of posts on this bc and seen the website for sugarshack. I am hoping to purchase the dvds soon but I am still unable to make the icing. I do not have a large mixer. As much as I go through the hand mixers, about 1 every 2-3 months lol, my dh says I will have to wait on a larger one like KA icon_cry.gif It will definately be the first thing I make when I do get one. Thanks Sharon, and to everyone else, for all the great recipes, add-ins and ideas. Yall are wonderful icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:03pm
post #33 of 54

I use CoffeeMate Hazelnut creamer with great success and my cake fans love it! Great with any cake/filling combination and does not add any additional sweet flavor to the B/C. Try it, you'll like it! LOL!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #34 of 54

I am so glad to see this thread...I have tried SS's BC and LOVE how easily it smooths-like velvet! However, I have a horrible time trying to color the icing...I've tried several brands of colors, three different shortenings, Coffeemate, and off brand creamer, and nothing helps. The icing is grainy and separates-badly...I end up with very darkly colored icing and "grease" in the bags...I can mix it up and it looks fine, but in a few minutes it's separated again, and what's even more frustrating-it will pipe out nicely blended, and THEN separate?!?
Boy...if I win the lottery, I'm going to HIRE somebody to make BC for me icon_wink.gif

Lovin' CC and all the helpful people here.
Kathy

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #35 of 54

Kathy,
I had the color separate into little granules a couple of times. There is an excellent thread on this somewhere here on CC but general consensus was bad batch of powdered sugar. I have to agree because mine was so gritty, I had to chunk it and when I went about bought all new ingredients, used the same recipe, it did not come out gritty. I did use a different brand of powdered sugar so I'm assuming that made up the difference.

Also in one case I colored the icing red and it turned grainy. I let it sit over night in a zip lock and the next day it no longer had the little red dots in it. I was shocked and really happy I didn't toss it.

kjt Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #36 of 54

Sillywabbits-I love that name!
Thanks...you may have given me the courage to try her recipe o n e m o r e t i m e. I am really tired of all the ingredients I've wasted. icon_sad.gif
I'm going to try the Buttercream Dream recipe from here, too.

Thanks for the information.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:28am
post #37 of 54

Oh I love Sharons recipe and I also use the butter cream dream to, I love it !

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:05am
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Sillywabbits-I love that name!

I really hope your next try works out bettericon_smile.gif My screen name is because I have 2 house rabbits that are my wonderful little pets.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:09am
post #39 of 54

I just recently recieved my Sugarshacks BC dvd but hadn't gotten a chance to watch it yet, but that needs to change because i just got comissioned to do my first 3 tiered Sweet 16 cake! YAHOOO!!! anyway i want it smokin' hot! icon_wink.gif

a question though... do you find, or have you found that kids would rather have the reg. bc style flavor over Sharon's? i haven't tasted sharon's so have no clue how close it is, but i know some people find that when comparing reg BC to imbc and smbc. just wondering! THANKS!!!!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:11am
post #40 of 54

I would consider Sharon's BC pretty darn close to the good old American BC...except for the fact that it doesn't have butter in it. I do think it's slightly less sweet, but not so much so that kids don't like it. I haven't been able to try SMBC yet, but I do here that it's preferred by adults.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:19pm
post #41 of 54

Ruby2uesday, all my cakes are done in Sharon's BC, the kids love it as well as the adults. I give my icing a butter french vanilla taste to it and everyone has been very happy with that flavor combo.

I have used that flavor combo for my icing and have used Butavan flavoring in yellow or white cake mix and that taste got great raves...even from the kids.

I have also used the WB flavoring in my BC (that Sharon uses) and got great comments on that flavoring also. I have found that these flavors are what works for me and for thoses that I have make cakes for.

Even though this recipe does not have butter in it, I flavor it with butter flavoring. There have been posters who said they have tried it with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening and it came out great. IMO I think you have to play around with the flavor combos and find what works for you.

kjt, I know where you are coming from, it took me a while to get this recipe right (having at the time a hand held mixer didn't help icon_lol.gif ), but I just kept on till I got it. If this recipe doesn't work for you or the butter cream dream...I have heard wonderful comments on IndyDebi's recipe on other posts. Also, as sillywabbitz said, a bad batch of PS can mess up your BC recipe... I did have that happen once and it was my PS.

Ruby2uesday, girl get to watching that dvd...you are going to love it thumbs_up.gif
fiddlesticks, good to see you again...I have been gone a long time.

Good Luck Ladies & God Bless,
Sharon

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #42 of 54

I would love to try this recipe- Can someone send me a link to it or post it?
Thank you!!!!!

grannys3angels Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #43 of 54

Heres a link to the recipe, there is 2 of them: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5313-Sugarshacks-Buttercream-Icing.html

The 1st. link has more info to it. Also here is the youtube link she has, with her making a batch of the icing and how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4&feature=related

God Bless,
Sharon

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:21pm
post #44 of 54

Thank you!!!!

grannys3angels Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #45 of 54

Your very welcome! icon_smile.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #46 of 54

Yum, Yum, Yummo. So glad I tried it. I am enjoying it right now!!!! I used the wedding bouquet flavoring with butter flavor from wilton, (2 and 1). I swear there was butter in there. Used the generic 2g shortening and it worked great! SO good with my luscious lemon cake!!!

kjt Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #47 of 54

Well, girls, last weekend I tried again! I got hi ratio shortening (CK brand $11 for 3 pounds at my local cake supply shop icon_surprised.gif ) and replaced 1/2 cup of shortening with salted butter. The consistency was great, the taste very good and woo hoo, it DID retain the color!
This was a cake for my daughter's birthday, so I used it to practice several things-the SS recipe of course, bc tulips, scroll work, and most importantly my icing technique.
I am really pleased with the results, and thankful that you all encouraged me to try again thumbs_up.gif I did have some problems with air bubbles-not air holes, and not "blow outs", just several small (pencil eraser sized) bubbles when smoothing. I poked them with a toothpick, re-rolled (Melvira method) and it was not too noticeable-any thoughts on this?
Thanks for your help...all comments appreciated.
LL

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:47pm
post #48 of 54

Where can I get Wedding Bouquet flavoring?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

Does anyone (or Sharon, since you've been in on this thread!) have the proper proportions for my smaller mixer? I can't make a fair judgement on the icing until I know I've made it exactly right, and I haven't wanted to "test" it out again on my own, since I wasn't so successful the first time around. Oh, and I have Sweetex now, so I'm anxious to use it!

I have a 5 qt MixMaster. I use Sharon's recipe exclusively (with Alpine instead of Sweetex), and do 4 cups shortening, 4 lbs PS, 2 T Wedding Bouquet, and enough unflavored coffee creamer to get it to the right consistancy.

The key is to make sure your reconstituted coffee creamer is just on this side of BOILING. I made a mistake of using just lukewarm once - it's the only time the icing didn't turn out right. Too many air bubbles.

I've also substituted a portion of unsalted butter for the shortening with fabulous results. I like it much better than butter flavoring, which is always too overpowering for me.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:54pm
post #50 of 54

Oh wow kjt - that's a beautiful cake :heart:. Can you tell me more about the bc tulips?

kjt Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:33pm
post #51 of 54

Thank you icon_redface.gif .
I just piped a little "mound" and used a 101 tip to pipe three petals, two on the outside and then one in the center. I laid down some green icing to begin with, piped some flowers, added a little more "greenery", a few more flowers, to give the bouquet depth, and then added more leaves, filling in where necessary. They turned out pretty good, but I think with practice they'll be really pretty.

HTH icon_smile.gif

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #52 of 54

Hi, Is this sugarshacks buttercream that everyone's talking about?

kjt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm499

Hi, Is this sugarshacks buttercream that everyone's talking about?

Welcome lm499!

Yep, it certainly is...have you tried it? If so what is your opinion?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #54 of 54

I use the off brand shortening for this icing and I think it is too "soft".. Prefer the hi ratio when I can get it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%