Just Offered A Job...

Decorating By catin Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm by catin

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 11

Just got an offer to work with a known Decorator in town . Im a little scared that i wouldnt be able to show her all my skills. I am also a little excited for this . But I was wondering If I should inbark into this (Do Assistants in Decorating get paid..... What are the going rates for this . ) She wants me to start next week and discuss further with me . I need someone to reassure me that I am doing the right thing .

I am currently taking Wilton Course 1 with her as the Instructor , she expressed that she likes my work and especially my fondant work ... So now I dont know ..

Ok im done...

Just need to speak to yous about it ...like that I can have some reassurance .

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 11

Go for it! If she already has you as a student then she is aware of your abilities. Yes you get paid. I don't know what the going rates would be in Cananda though.

Hope it works out great for you.

catin Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you .... for the reassurance ...

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 11

I would at least take it on a trial basis and see if you like working with her. If you don't you can gracefully bow out and thank her for the experience.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 11

Ahhh..... your " instructor" LIKES what she sees...... What a GREAT compliment....... at least talk to her about this..... What kind of shop does she have...... does she have other decorators working with her.. what does she pay...... what are the hours, etc.......... just think how much you can LEARN ! I'm excited for you !

catin Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 11

Well had my interview with her to determine wage, hours and all that stuff . I start tomorrow (Wed. Oct 8th).
I was just wondering something tho. She told me that she will start me off at 9$ an hour and with the business in full swing (busy time) she will up it with bonuses .. is that what you (ones with assistants) do ? I am just curious ... cause I never worked out of the home before so I'm trying to cover all my bases ...hehe

-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 11

I think that is a very nice way to go. She is doing you right. The more you work and the more work there is, and of course she would ultimately be truthful and upright about it, the better it is for everyone. Nice.

$9 an hour is a fair base, not flashy by any means but honest especially where you say you are in your resume. If she started you higher, it would seem too good to be true.

So does she have a separate shop? and What kind of population count does your area have?

catin Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 11

She has a home based business ... She's been in business for over 29 yrs (started out in a shop and then moved to her home) The population in my area is about (estimating ... dont know the exact #) 13,000 if not more .... As I know ... she gets about 6 wedding cakes a week and Party Cakes in between . She also caters for the high end business around here as well .

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:30am
post #9 of 11

Congrats on the job! Have fun at work today!

P.S. I don't know what the going rate for a decorator/baker in Ontario is but I did look up the minimum wage which is $8.75/hr.

Best of Luck! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #10 of 11

Oh wow that's real close to the minimum wage--Our minimum wage is even lower so I initially thought $9 was pretty cool--often our starting wages in food service is lower than that even.

I do wish she started you out at a higher hourly wage--several dollars over the minimum--but the bonuses should be good.

If your employment means she can accept more cakes per week then you should be doing great but still your hourly could be higher.

catin Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 11

I totally agree with you k8memphis , But as a start job for me . I will take what I get ..it's a start . It will be worth every penny in my opinion ..once she sees what I can do and I improve ... and like you said the bonuses will help as well ..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%