Sps Strong Enough For Giant Cake?

Decorating By Mencked Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm by GI

Mencked Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 22

I am worrying about a giant cake I'm working on (18/16/14/12/9/6). I've never used SPS, but have all of the components and will be using it for a 6-tier BC wedding cake this weekend. The cake will be assembled on a silver cart which will then be wheeled out into a courtyard, not to mention that it has to travel over horrible country roads to get to the reception site in the first place!! The first (bottom) tier is 18" I can't make myself believe that my 16" tier will be stable and strong enough on a single cardboard on top of the SPS system and still be strong enough to support itself and the additional 4 tiers sitting on top of it........Has anyone done this and do I need a double or triple cardboard under the on top of the SPS? Please advise becase I'm going just a tiny bit crazy doubting everything!!!!

21 replies
okred Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 22

I would recommend for any layer larger than 12" that you cut circles out of 1/2 inch foam core. I actually us foam core on all layers, I hate cutting out circles but the cakes can be so heavy.

JodieF Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:21am
post #3 of 22

I used SPS on a large cake in August. It was 18, 16, 12, 9 and 6, and weighed 90 pounds. You can see it in my photos. You put the cardboards on plates. I only used 1, but I guess you could use more if you had a border to cover them!
I did assemble the cake on site.

Jodie

kjt Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #4 of 22

The plates have "legs" that support them, the legs go thru the cake and rest on that cake's cake board-that's not making sense, I know. You don't want to double the cardboard circles because the little peg that fits into the center of each layer's base circle isn't that long, and I think it would compromise the stability. You said you have all the components...jam the legs onto a plate and feel it...it's really sturdy.
I would pm leahs for COMPLETE information, but I'd bet the SPS will hold up. She says it will support a cake as large as you can carry!
I LOVE this system...and have transported a wedding cake- assembled in two pieces-16, 14, 10, and 8, 6, and I had to travel down a curvey gravel road.
HTH

Mencked Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 22

You guys have no idea how much you have eased my mind--I hate it when I do this to myself--worrying about what could go wrong!! Thank you so much!!

leepat Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 22

What do you guys use to cut the legs to the appropriate length? I am having trouble cutting them.

kjt Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 22

No problem Mencked...if it weren't for CC, I'd still be ordering cakes from Publix icon_redface.gif !

Leepat,
Are they the scored legs? If so, I have used a serrated kitchen knife, it's a little difficult, but not too bad. If they aren't scored, I've used my husband's Dremel (sp?) Tool. leahs used a hack saw I think...BUT she really advocates just baking to the right height...so far that's not something that I've been able to master icon_confused.gif . HTH!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 22

I didn't read all the posts but I would get the guys at the hardware store to cut me some 3/4 inch or 1 inch dowel, wood dowel to use in those bottom two tiers--I mean they stand on end on the counter by themselves--you virtually cannot tip them inside the cake--the plates would have to deconstruct for anything to fall.

They of course are not placed around the perimeter of the cake above but under the area where they will bear the weight of the cake above.

I would coat them in wax or wrap them in food safe foil to prevent any musty flavor to impart to cake that touches the dowel.

Your plate is very important too--masonite for those big tiers.

summernoelle Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 22

Is there anyway you can assemble it onsite? Something that large sounds terrifying to drive with-I would have a panic attack by the time I got to the venue! lol

Mencked Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 22

My entire "worry" problem is that I'm using SPS for the first time. I've made large cakes before, always used masonite or double cardboard under my huge layers and a combination of dowels and those wilton plastic tubes for support. I just needed someone to reassure me that SPS is going to be able to withstand all of that pressure from the heavy layers above. Thanks again guys!!!

kjt Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 22

The SPS is FAR superior to dowels. The legs are tightly ATTACHED to the plate...there is NO chance of shifting. Believe me, this system has reduced my stress level when delivering STACKED cakes by at least 90%. I mean, I guess, if somebody rear-ended you, and the back of your vehicle was pushed into the cake there'd be a "cake-tastrophe", but this system really removes that "Oh, my gosh, am I going to make that light?", and "I sure hope I took that corner slowly enough" feeling.

Mencked, if you are still concerned, I again advise you to pm leahs, she is a wealth of information on this system. The first time I used it I probably pm's her 6 times...one of the messages went something like this; Me-"You're telling me that that tiny hole in the cardboard circle will sit on the peg in the plate, and this will keep my cake in place icon_confused.gif . leahs- "Yep, that's what I'm saying...trust me, it won't slide..." and I have not had one cake shift even a fraction.
Kathy

Mencked Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 22

Kathy--I think I will actually sleep well tonight!! I know this monster cake will be just fine on SPS--Whew--now if some magic little cake fairies would come and help me get all of the baking/decorating done icon_smile.gif! Thanks to all!

Mencked Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 22

I thought I'd let everyone know how my monster wedding cake turned out. Thanks for all of your reassurances and help!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1272309.html

chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 22

Holy cripes! That thing is HUGE!

Did they invite the whole town (plus all the neighboring villages for miles around)?

Mencked Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #15 of 22

Yes, I believe they did icon_lol.gif

kjt Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 22

Oh Diane,

I am sooo glad you posted this, I was wondering about you yesterday! I can certainly see why you were nervous-SPS notwithstanding, this is a masterpiece.
Congratulations...I can't wrap my brain around this AND 400 cupcakes!?! icon_eek.gif

Kathy

newnancy Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 22

Gorgeous!!!!! It was a monster cake. It must have taken you forever to do all the piping. Glad to hear the SPS worked, I'm going to try it, you convinced me.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 22

Wow - I'd have sure doubted those teensy little leggies on that plateau too!!!

Beautiful work.

Mencked Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks so much everyone!!

GI Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #20 of 22

Gasp! icon_eek.gif That cake is monstrous! A famous couple? Or just all that good ol' southern hospitality! Geeze, what a great testimony to the SPS system for sure!

Where have you been purchasing them?

Mencked Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 22

That would be good ol southern hospitality Oklahoma style icon_smile.gif. I purchased from oassis supply. They were really good to get the SPS here by the date I needed and I think their shipping was free for orders over a certain amount. I'll order from them again for sure!

GI Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #22 of 22

I'll check with Oassis. See what happens!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%