I Applied For College!!

Lounge By melissablack Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm by Pookie59

melissablack Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:16am
post #1 of 18

I kinda did things backwards...I had my kids & got married kinda young, and I've been staying home with them for the past 7 years. Well now I'm 30 and finally at a place where my youngest is starting school, and I've decided I really need to make a change and do something for ME, so I just applied for college tonight!! I know this is just the first step, but I've become so introverted and have such low self-confidence from just being home for so many years..I'm really proud of myself for taking the first step. I'm scared of the thought of going to school with a bunch of 19 year olds...I will feel so out of place icon_cry.gif
I'm really interested in business, but lately I've been seriously thinking about becoming a teacher. I volunteer at the kids' school and I just love it, and the kids love me.
Anyways, I'm just excited and wanted to share! Thanks for reading!! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
chutzpah Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 18

Way to go!!!

You won't regret it.

thecakebox Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 18

I can relate! I am very shy and introverted, totally a home-body, also married very young (19). I am 26 now and just started taking classes casually a couple years ago, my dh is 30 and he is a junior at university, I think it gives you a much better appreciation for everything when you wait. I notice that we take everything much more seriously than most of these 18 and 19 yr olds. I am glad that I waited because I had no idea what I was even interested in doing 8 years ago! I think you will be surprised at the diversity in college now, I am always in class with a pretty wide range of age groups and always found someone to talk to. Good luck, I think you will love it!

Mike1394 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:59am
post #4 of 18

Very cool. You'll love it. Don't worry about the age thing. I remember when God invented dirt. icon_biggrin.gif I'm not the oldest in my classes.

CONGRATS

Mike

michellenj Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 18

That is so awesome! You will be so glad you did it. I am jealous. Years ago I got accepted to a very good school for MBA and decided to work instead, and it would have opened up a lot of doors in other industries for me if I had gone.

Who knows where this will take you....

lardbutt Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 18

I am very proud of you! I hope to do the same thing, but my youngest in 11 months old tomorrow.

I know you will do well! I wish you the best!

TheCakerator Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 18

that's great! If my dh and I could afford for either one of us to go to school, it would be him. He is really wanting a masters degree. Already has the b.s. degree but wants more. Just to much $$$ for us right now .. we are still paying off his college loans from 8 years ago when he graduated the first time. I would be tempted to try college myself. I wish it was more affordable.

levinea Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 18

Congratulations, you will love it. You won't feel out of place at all, there are more "non-traditional" students out there than ever.

mkolmar Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:45am
post #9 of 18

WOO-HOO! Congrats on taking the leap.
I know exactly to a T what you are going through. I married young and a few years later had 4 kids in 5 years. I decided to do something for myself for a change. When the baby was only 6 months old I started college again (after many years off!). I just signed up online one day without saying a word to anyone about it. I graduated with honors this past April for Culinary Arts at the age of 30. Was one of the best things I could have ever done! I plan on possibly going back for more culinary education in 3 years once they are all in school.

Be prepared for lack of sleep. For 2 1/2 years I went to bed around 3am and got up around 6:40am. I have no idea how I managed but did. I can honestly say I would do it again in a heart beat.

Are you going to be doing your basics in college first? If you went to college already some of your old credits still may count so make sure to check into it.
Good luck. I'm so excited for you! Power to the older college student! icon_lol.gif

Honeydukes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:34am
post #10 of 18

Good for you!! What a great example you're setting for your kids. There are students of all ages -- you'd be surprised.

melissablack Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you so much everyone, for the words of encouragement! I really hope it all works out, I have no idea how it all works for getting student loans, scholarships, etc...
I will take 2 years of general education at the community college, then I guess transfer to the University for the last 2 or 3 years.

kimkait Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 18

My mom went back to school 4 years ago and graduated as a RN in May. She is 57. One place she got a grant was the career center. She got money each quarter that bought extras like tires for her vehicle because of clinicals, scrubs, and other things like that. Good Luck, you CAN do it!

Ah-na Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 18

CONGRATS! I am doing the same thing! I already have two years under my belt, but then stopped b/c of pregnancies and crying babies. I just applied the other day and was a little nervous to get of my my mommy realm but I figured it would be nice to talk to someone older than 6 for awhile! You'll do just fine and I hope you succeed! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

bigsisof3kids Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:01am
post #14 of 18

Don't be too nervous about being around a bunch of 19 year olds... I was in the same class as mkolmar, and like 1/3 our class was 25 and older. I was the youngest, and to be honest, I got along the best with the students much older than me. There are more and more 'non-traditional' students at colleges these days. Be glad you did something for yourself! icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #15 of 18

Congratulations!!! It's great to hear such positive news!

I'm rooting for you!

mlynnb Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 18

Congratulations!!!! My 3 kids are finally all in school this year and I've been thinking of going back also....I'm just a big chicken! icon_redface.gif But I guess if you guys can do it, I can at least give it a try!!
Thanks for the inspiration!!! thumbs_up.gif

beemarie88 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 18

You will not be out of place!!! When I started college the age range was 17-50!!! It is great that you are going back god bless and good luck!! birthday.gif a cake for you lol

Pookie59 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #18 of 18

I did the same thing - married young and had kids and then decided (go figure) that I wanted to go to college. I started off at a local junior college and earned an A.A, then transferred to a university and finally obtained a B.S. through an on line school last year. I was happy to finally finish, but those student loan payments - OUCH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%