Desparately Need Pricing Help, Please

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 4:31am by ShortcakesSweets

ShortcakesSweets Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

I am horrible at pricing cakes, so I'm needing suggestions for the cake below.
The "dance floor" is a 2 layer 12"x18" white sheet cake iced and filled with BC. The doll skirt is White Chocolate Pound cake with fondant dress (also has a 1 layer 8" round white cake underneath to make the skirt long enough). The figures that are "dancing" around Belle are color flow. Thanks.
LL

5 replies
FromScratch Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #2 of 6

Let's start with servings.. a double layer 12x18 (we're talking 4" tall, but it's hard to tell how tall your sheet cake is) is 100 servings alone (wedding servings.. which is how I price my cakes no matter what the occasion). a single layer 8" is 10 and the doll pan is another 10 at least. So you have 120 servings.. 100 in BC and 20 in fondant.

Do you have a per servings price? I can tell you mine, but until you sit down and price out your ingredients for your recipes and figure out what it costs you per serving to make your cakes you aren't going to be able to accurately know what you need to be charging to break even and make a nice profit. icon_smile.gif

gummy_buns Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #3 of 6

Sent you a PM Hope it helps!! By the way GREAT LOOKIN CAKE!!

ShortcakesSweets Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your replies and help.
People are always telling me that I don't charge enough. I actually had sat down one time and figured every ingredient and totaled that amount. Then I doubled that to come up with a price for the cake.
I was just hoping for a easier method, because I really don't want to take the time to do that for every cake.
So, should I just get a basic price for every size cake then adjust the pricing when the decorating is more complex and time consuming?

Gummy_buns,
Thanks for the PM and the compliments on the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

kelleym Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortcakesSweets

Thanks for your replies and help.
People are always telling me that I don't charge enough. I actually had sat down one time and figured every ingredient and totaled that amount. Then I doubled that to come up with a price for the cake.
I was just hoping for a easier method, because I really don't want to take the time to do that for every cake.
So, should I just get a basic price for every size cake then adjust the pricing when the decorating is more complex and time consuming?

Gummy_buns,
Thanks for the PM and the compliments on the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

You should at least cost out a few of your most popular recipes so you know roughly what it costs you to make a serving of cake. That will give you a place to start when pricing. Also, charging "double the ingredients" will likely result in you working for far less than minimum wage. I have an article here with other pricing tips. thumbs_up.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 6

kelleym,
Thank you so much for the link that you posted. I have been reading over it a lot. I have decided that I am going to sit down and figure my ingredients on my recipes by serving and revamp my prices.

On another note, since I am officially in business now, it's going to have to be handled like a business. I have just gone through problems on collecting money on a cake I did for a friend (nothing new, I know), but it has opened my eyes to a lot. Along with my prices going up, I will be implementing a pay upfront policy.

Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%