Multi-Talented

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 5:03am by Kim_in_CajunCountry

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #1 of 6

I know a lot of you have other hobbies (in addition to this caking insanity) so I thought I would share. My kids love play-dough and they like to pretend one of their play cooking pots is a cake. They turn it upside-down and decorate with all different colors. I saw in a post on here where someone had crocheted a wedding cake, soooo cool!! I love to crochet but rarely find the time, however once I saw that I knew I had to give it a try. I got the bottom tier done but they kids wanted to play with it so I decided I would make a little cover to go on their pot, here's how it turned out:
LL
LL

5 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:14am
post #2 of 6

That's adorable!! A pot cozy!! icon_lol.gif

I don't have the patience for crochet.. I can do basic stuff, but I get easily distracted and mess up and end up swearing. icon_wink.gif

womanzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #3 of 6

I love both but never thought to put them together. Maybe I'll do a cake that looks like a crochet afghan...

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #4 of 6

That is TOO cute! I've seen lots of crocheted cakes, cake slices, and cupcakes online, as well as several made of felt. I wish I had the time to try some of these. Although, they would probably be the felt versions. I can't seem to get the hang of crocheting.

Since we're sharing, my other hobby is photography, as you can see in my signature. I am having so much fun combining photography and caking. Both require creativity - something I don't get to do much at my "day job".

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to see how my bigger project will turn out, maybe I'll enter it in a fair, that would be fun thumbs_up.gif
Kim, I love your pics!! I wish I could take good pictures, I rarely get a good cake pic so I have to take at least 6, from different angles before landing a good one.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:03am
post #6 of 6

Don't be fooled; I take LOTS of pics to get a few good ones. I take them at several angles and distances and each time I take them both with and without the flash because I never know which one will come out right. Sometimes photographing cakes and cookies proves to be more difficult than making them!

Thank goodness for digital cameras because I couldn't afford the film developing!

I hope to build a light box in the near future so that the lighting will be right every time.

Please do post pics of your progress!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%