Flame Shooting Tank Cake?

Decorating By jen1977 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm by jen1977

jen1977 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 9

My 8 year old has been asking for a tank cake that actually shoots flames for months, and hasn't changed his mind yet. His party is the 18th, so it looks like a flame shooting tank is what he's getting! Any ideas on tha flames? DH has figured out how to make ths tire part actually move, but we're stuck on hte flames! We don't want it to be dangerous for all hte kids/people at the party, but ds really wants it to shoot flames! HELP!

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:09am
post #2 of 9

I don't have a clue but I love this topic--I think your son is way way cool and you're crazy to try it but I love the whole thing. It makes me happy.

What about a small cooking torch for the flames? Where you can light it and then turn the flame up & down. Like a creme brulee torch?

Shades of Duff Goldman!!

jen1977 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:55am
post #3 of 9

Yep, I'm outta my mind! He decided he wanted it, and I wouldn't dare try it on a paying customer, so he's getting it! He isn't even into army things and is actually having a costume party, but he wants a flame shooting tank that looks like it's driving! We tried a cooking torch, but he said the flame wasn't big enough. Are there any torches that the flame gets pretty high? DH is thinking a bottle rocket, and I'm afraid he's going to hurt someone or catch the neighbors house on fire. We've been thinking about this for weeks, and can't figure out the flames!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:14am
post #4 of 9

Hey Jen,
This is freaking awesome! Let me ask my DH and my DB and I'll get back with you later today. They are both "gifted" like that. How big did you need it? By shooting flames are you thinking like the flame thrower thing? The same effect but on a smaller scale?

vetaAL Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:31am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

We tried a cooking torch, but he said the flame wasn't big enough. Are there any torches that the flame gets pretty high? DH is thinking a bottle rocket, and I'm afraid he's going to hurt someone or catch the neighbors house on fire. !

There was an episode on Duff's making tank cake for some army celebration. The main gun was out of PVC pipe and stuffed with sparklers.

As for anything that launches out of that "gun" part... i'd be more concern with your cake blown to bits then neighbours house being on fire icon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #6 of 9

I would not allow the birthday boy to critique the process.

icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:56am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I would not allow the birthday boy to critique the process.

icon_biggrin.gif

HAHA!! Do you know my son??? He would have that sucker shooting flames 100 feet into the air!

We don't want to use sparklers because of the black specks that they throw off. He actually wants flames to come out of it, and I think he's thinking come out pretty far. He's my little engineer, and I'm afraid he has this grand idea going on in his head and he'll end up disappointed, but we'll see. DH is such a sport...he knows I can take care of the cake, the mechanical part is all him. As far as the size of the cake, we can use foam for the bottom if needed.

vickymacd Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 9

I hope you have another cake as a backup as I remember when Duff did this, his cake tasted like garbage from the flames, etc.
Great idea, but not if you actually want to EAT the cake!

jen1977 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I hope you have another cake as a backup as I remember when Duff did this, his cake tasted like garbage from the flames, etc.
Great idea, but not if you actually want to EAT the cake!

That's why we don't want to use sparklers or anything that thrwos sut type stuff, and we're stuck on what to actually use!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%