Amazing Wedding Cakes

Decorating By BOOTNEYBOO1 Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm by janelwaters

BOOTNEYBOO1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BOOTNEYBOO1 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 30

Did anyone see amazing wedding cakes. The cake that had the skull and blood roses. Did you see when she makes the web she said it was special icing. Does anyone know that that kind of icing might be? That was pretty school how she just bent it to place it on the cake and it break into a million pieces.

29 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 30

I don't know what she used, but you could use Sugar Veil to do that. www.sugarveil.com very cool stuff!

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 30

I was wondering the same thing. That cake was cool! I loved the skull. I really wasn't so big on the green one?

janelwaters Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 30

The green one was odd....but Ed Bagley Jr. is odd - did you see his show??? weird and obsessed with the environment! It was a techically great cake - but certainly not my favorite!

calebsmom45 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 30

Yeah, I prob. couldn't make it but it did not appeal to me. He is kinda wierd though. He seemed to like it.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #6 of 30

ooooooh i wish i could watch these shows!

valluvscrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valluvscrafts Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #7 of 30

I watched it today as DVR'd it and she said it was a special royal icing... but not what kind she did iut with a black icing in a parchment bag I was wondering whta exactly it was to it was really cool looked like that paint you can do on mirrors and stuff looks like rubber.

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 30

Is it just me, or does anyone think that the "green" cake that group made this week, and the sand castle cake last week seemed kind of sloppy?? I know that sounds harsha and I dont mean it to, but as much as they chopped up those cakes to form them, I don't know how you would ever cut it to serve it... I would think once you started slicing into it, it would just crumble and fall apart. Especially the sand castle cake, looked like he was just sticking scraps and chunks of cake everywhere... I'm in total awe of how they come up with their ideas.. I know I am not that creative.. so, JMO.. but wondered what anyone else thought???

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #9 of 30

hahem.....I'm not casting stones....but I'm kinda a perfectionist. The divas are a little sloppy. JMO I didnt bring it up.....but since you asked!!!!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #10 of 30

I'd really like to know what that "special" royal icing was too. Anyone try emailing them?

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:45am
post #11 of 30

So far I'm not that impressed with the show. I haven't seen anything on the 2 episodes that the experienced and some of the not so experienced cakesters here couldn't do.

The Cake atelier flowers seem very thick to me. The sand castle and green cake (as previously mentioned) seemed structurally weak. And if I was the clients of the Cakegirls I don't know I'd want it aired on National TV that I had absolute novices working on such expensive cakes. The purses and the butterfly cake were both worked on the less experienced. I think it's great that they are pitching in, but to make such a big deal about it and present it like any other cake to me seemed a little unethical.

I'll continue to DVR it and watch the interesting parts, but so far, not that entertaining or informative.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjess

Is it just me, or does anyone think that the "green" cake that group made this week, and the sand castle cake last week seemed kind of sloppy?? I know that sounds harsha and I dont mean it to, but as much as they chopped up those cakes to form them, I don't know how you would ever cut it to serve it... I would think once you started slicing into it, it would just crumble and fall apart. Especially the sand castle cake, looked like he was just sticking scraps and chunks of cake everywhere... I'm in total awe of how they come up with their ideas.. I know I am not that creative.. so, JMO.. but wondered what anyone else thought???

I'm no expert or pro or anything but I totally agree about the sand castle cake. I didnt like anything about it. thumbsdown.gif JMO

Teenequeene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenequeene Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #13 of 30

I didnt see the show but I did go on the Sugarveil website and they have a cake in the gallery with a spiderweb on it so it may be sugarveil.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjess

Yeah...I just said to dh that they seemed a bit sloppy to me. I mean PLUS the fact that that guy was totally HATING doing the cake, LOL, I wouldn't want that aired on tv!

My favorite is the Cake Girls - but now that someone mentioned it...I wouldn't want THAT aired on tv either! (the fact that they didn't even work on it, completely inexperienced people did! and they are what? $7000 cakes??)

I love Lauri from the Cake Atelier. It's no wonder that the two of them split. They seem SO opposite from each other. And every time Lauri says something the other would just roll her eyes! icon_rolleyes.gif I'd also like to know what special royal icing Lauri used!!

I do love the show though! And will continue to watch it! I think it's entertaining and informative! I'm learning things that I didn't know before! icon_smile.gif

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #15 of 30

Just my 2 cents but I just don't get that show. The new york girls,
Cake atelier, or something...takes 2 of them all week to bake and PLAIN ice a 3 tier square cake with 1 or 2 GP flowers...what the....???? Then they get in a friggin' taxi?? Carrying the cake in their hands????? How much did this cake cost that they can afford a "shop" and all that with one cake for the weekend. When they delivered it, they said, they were done for the week.

I see the "diva" guy on the other shop, is it the cake girls and PUH_LEEASE. I just don't see this as reality. I watched 1 1/2 episodes and that was enough.

No need to slam me, I am just giving my opinion and I know it won't match many of yours.

janelwaters Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:26am
post #16 of 30

I just emailed Lauri - lets see if she emails me back...

I still think its sugar veil - you can color it any color just like any icing and you don't have to have a special tool to pipe it - you can just use regular pastry bags and tips. I've never (because i've been doing this for so long - NOT) seen any other kind of icing that is flexible like that.

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 30

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who had a few issues with this show. Did you see that butterfly cake that they $700? I thought it was beautiful, but wow. I was a little unsure about "beer buttercream" too. Who knows...they're the experts.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 30

LOL! I just went to the SugarVeil website and they have a photo right there on the front page of someone painting a naked bride with it! Is she getting married at a nudist colony?

I do want to buy some, though, and not because it gave my DH any ideas icon_lol.gif

calebsmom45 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 30

ugh...beer buttercream! I cringed as I watched them taste it. Ugh, Ick, Yuck Everyone is different I gues...ewww

janelwaters Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 30

Laurie emailed me back and it IS SUGARVEIL!! Enjoy!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #21 of 30

Wow, thanks. I was wondering myself about the "special" RI.
I personally like the show (maybe b/c I'm still a beginner). I think that the Cake Girls make the most impressive cakes out of the three. I just don't know how they can get so much money from such simple designs!
I agree that the Cake Diva's cakes are very messy looking in a structural sense. I just looks like crumbled cake stuck together with some bc.
I'm just glad another cake show exists if only to show the public how much work goes into making a cake.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #22 of 30

I am trying really hard to like this show but it BUGS me. The only ones I can semi handle to watch is the Cake Girls.

My guess on the price of the cakes is it all depends on your location & people are obviously willing to pay. Why can't we all have customers like that. icon_smile.gif

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #23 of 30

Well, I have really enjoyed watching the shows! It's great to have another cake show to watch. But I am someone who spends more time looking at cakes than making them. I'm lucky if I do one per month. So I basically go where the cakes are. I do agree on some of the criticisms others have made, but I just like to observe and maybe pick up on some tips or even stroke my ego by thinking "I can do that!"

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:34am
post #24 of 30

I have to agree about the sand castle cake. I missed the episode and stayed up late Sunday to watch the rerun. The cake looked sloppy to me. I didnt like the cake they did before the big wedding cake, I thought that looked sloppy too. My cakes are not perfect but I expect that if they are on a tv show they would be neater. (to put it nice) We most be all spoiled from watching Duff! I loved the show they did awhile back about wedding cakes with Bronwen Weber and other decorators. She has to be one of my favorites!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #25 of 30

I've been watching the shows and I think if I was working with the Cake Divia's I would have punched out the partner that takes cake of the ording by now. She so gets on my nerves. I have seen Cake Girls in some cake challenges on the Food Network.

Bronwen is my favorite too. We just took class with her and she is awsome.

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #26 of 30

Hi!
Is this sugar veil flexible even when it dries???
I hace to make little snowflakes for a cupcake tower.

janelwaters Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #27 of 30

Once it dries completely it dries very hard - but it stays "set" and flexible for a while. It takes a long time to dry completely.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #28 of 30

I've had a chance to watch more episodes now. I think I've seen episodes 2-5 now. I have to say that of the 3 bakeries they've shown I like Cake Girls the most. They have the best attitudes and seem to have a great aesthetic. They like to take risks. My previous concern about having the "untrained" make such high end cakes on TV was premature. The work was well done, they were completely supervised and it was the cake girls design.

I'm still not impressed with Cake Divas and the Cake Atellier just doesn't have good chemistry. I real odd couple. I suppose that's why they aren't a partnership anymore.

Just wanted to put that up there since I've had more time to watch the show.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:58pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinue

Hi!
Is this sugar veil flexible even when it dries???
I hace to make little snowflakes for a cupcake tower.

Sugarveil probably wouldn't be the best choice here because it IS flexible, and you probably want the snowflakes stiff. If you are wanting to pipe them, royal icing will be best. Also, since you said they are going to be small, check out the snowflake paper punchers at craft stores. You can roll gumpaste really thin, let it dry on both sides for like 10 minutes, then punch it out. Really detailed and really simple. I hate piping snowflakes icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #30 of 30

Kory - you are brilliant!!! I NEVER thought about doing that!! You can do that also with the sugarveil - use paper punches - but I never thought about doing it with gumpaste!!!

Oh the creative juices are a flowin now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%