Letter Cutters/molds - Good Ones? Bad Ones? What Do You Use?

Decorating By born2bake Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 1:28am by born2bake

born2bake Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking at purchasing letter cutters or molds to use on cakes as my freehand to write any messages is horrible. So I'm wondering what would be easier to use, the cutters or molds like either of these:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16675

or

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16827

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

4 replies
mamacc Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 5

I like the FMM ones...the cutters. I have their funky letter alphabet and LOVE it! I would think cutters would be easier than molds...

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 5

cutters!!!

i feel like molds always distort when i take em out.. and for letters that are sooo small.

Check out this video on how to use cutters.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 5

I have the FMM cutters (funky alphabet) and the finished product is beautiful but they are a pain in the.....well, you get the picture. They are very time consuming - especially if you are spelling out a message rather than just a name.

You need to roll your paste super thin and let it dry just a bit, then they come out better. And they are fantastic looking. I often wonder if I should spend my lazy evenings (watching Law & Order) cutting out a bunch of these puppies in white so when I have a cake, I can paint/airbrush/dip the ones I need........... icon_rolleyes.gif

born2bake Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all! for the feedback, it will certainly help me to decide.

I have seen the Aine2 youtube video, in fact I have it saved in my Youtube favs to refer back to later on. She's awesome!

CakeDiva73 - Law & Order fan are you? Me too, mostly the L&O Criminal Intent, I've scaled back on watching the others, but I can never get enough of Det. Goran and Ames. icon_cool.gif

B2B

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%