Please Help With Baby Basinet

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 7:37pm by tdybear1978

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make a baby basinet for Sat. and i am not sure how to do the top part, like the hood (not sure what it is called) does someone have any suggestions. Not sure if I use gumpaste and if so, will it have enough time to dry so I can dec. on Friday. Is there an easier way to do this. PLEASE HELP - thanks

9 replies
babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 10

when i made my bassinet i made a 9" round and cut it in 1/2 so i had 2 semi circles.i then put them together with some icing. then i put that on top of my 9x13 sheet cake,with the flat edge down. that was my hood. i did dowel the hood to the base. i then used the basketweave to cover it. hope this helps........

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 10

If you use gumpaste now, it will have plenty of time to dry. Another option is to use white candy melts. I did this one with candy melts formed into half of the wilton ball pan. I covered half of the half if that makes any sense at all.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1162278

tdybear1978 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #4 of 10

Yeah, I wanted to just do the cake thing but she wants me to be able to put like a pillow inside of it so I need it to be hollow. Jammjenks your picture is what I need can you try to explain that to me again haha do you only coat it onto the pan and not "fill" the pan? how do you get it out of the pan without breaking? thanks

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 10

You could do it out of RI or gumpaste over some sort of form. Then when it is dry, you take it off, and have a hollow cover. icon_smile.gif (does that make sense?)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #6 of 10

Baby bassinet, cradle & basket helpicon_sad.gifWith tutorials.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603677-.html

HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

Yeah, I wanted to just do the cake thing but she wants me to be able to put like a pillow inside of it so I need it to be hollow. Jammjenks your picture is what I need can you try to explain that to me again haha do you only coat it onto the pan and not "fill" the pan? how do you get it out of the pan without breaking? thanks

I'm a terrible teacher, but I'll try. Melt candy melts in 30 sec intervals in the microwave. Then with a spoon and 1/2 of the ball pan (large or small depending on your cradle size), carefully spoon the melts into the ball pan trying to only cover half of the half. Use the spoon to spread it out. Try not to make it too thin or it will be fragile and not too thick or it will be too heavy. Put it in the freezer for a minute or two to harden. To get it out, just tap lightly on the counter and it should come right out. If you break it getting it out, just melt the candy melts again and start over. HTH

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:00am
post #8 of 10

Hi there!
I baked the bottom in a 10 x 12 inch pan, then I baked the 'hood' in an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup. I cut both cakes to fit. ~man~ I'm so not good at explaining stuff~. There was a bit of cake leftover, but I have two grown sons who wait for 'cake remnants' so I wasn't too concerned. I quilted fondant for the blanket and used BC in a basketweave for the rest. I'm attaching a picture. Oh yeah, I dowled the heck out of the hood.
LL

tdybear1978 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 10

okay, so I did the gumpaste over 1/2 of 1/2 of the ball pan on Tuesday afternoon. How long does this stuff usually take to dry? It is still quite soft, I have it sitting in front of a fan and I just managed to get the molds (I did 2 just in case) off of the pans and have turned them so the fan is now blowing on the inside. Are these going to be dry by tomorrow night so I can decorate for Sat? I just read some forums about drying out gumpaste and saw a couple that said they could never get the Bakels brand of gumpaste to dry and of course that is the brand that I used. Any suggestions? I think I am also going to try the choc. melts as another backup. Is there any other backup I can have haha thanks

tdybear1978 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 10

Okay, well, the gumpaste is not working out, it is still very soft - lesson learned I guess don't use that brand anymore. I did go ahead and do the choc. thing and it worked GREAT thank you so much jammjenks - you are a life saver

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%