Melting Chocolate

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm by msulli10

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 6

I've been trying to melt chocolate so I could dip stuff in it. No matter what I do, it's always so thick and makes a mess. Does anyone have any good tips???

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 6

be sure there absolutely no water in the container or pan, it will cause the chocolate to seize. You can melt it in the microwave, carefully, or in a bowl over barely simmering water. Be careful to NOT over heat the chocolate.

You can thin chocolate for dipping by adding Parmount crystals, or a bit of shortening-tsp at a time.

msulli10 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 6

I never heard of paramount crystals - what are they and where can I buy them? Thanks.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 6

Once I have my chocolate melted, I always add just a drop of liquid Crisco into it. Then just stir it until it's mixed well. Be sure to just start with a small amount (1/2 teaspoon or even less) because you can always add more Crisco until it's the consistency that you want it to be.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 6

I just made a chocolate plaque of spiderman. The black around the eyes ran a little into the red. How can I avoid that? By the way thanks for the Crisco idea I had the same problem to thick chocolate.

msulli10 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the Crisco Oil tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%