How Did You Meet Your Dh/bf?

Lounge By ccr03 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm by sueco

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:31am
post #31 of 64

any more romantic/sweet stories out there?

beemarie88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie88 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #32 of 64

I worked at a 50's diner called Johnny Rocket's if you have heard of it. I had to wear this horrible uniform fry cook hat bow tie etc to say the least i looked like a massive dork.. dunce.gif Craig came in once and we talked for a while I treated him to a milk shake and it ended there. After a week of wondering who that guy was, I got a message on Myspace. It said you are that cute girl that works at Johnny Rockets arent you?? We talked for a few weeks and he finally had the guts to ask me on a date. It was great we went to dinner and a movie (cool thing for a 16 year old to do) And we talked for a few hours. It turned out that we went to the same school we just never saw each other! It has been 5 wonderful years and hopefully will be a lot longer than that.

GOD BLESS MILKSHAKES!!!! icon_razz.gif :

ccr03 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #33 of 64

Aww, that is sweet!

gosh, I'm such a sucker for romance! icon_redface.gif :LOL:

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:27am
post #34 of 64

I was friends with an Army sgt.. One day, this friend stops by my Mother's house to tell me he was leaving on a trip and would return in 2 weeks. He had this handsome, shy, tall, make me weak in the knees guy with him that I hadn't met before. Okay, so bye. 2 weeks later, sgt. friend stops by to say that he was back and he had this same long-legged, long lashed, hazel-eyed man with him.

IT'S A SIGN!

I told my sister after the second time, "He's mine" she said, "You can have him" I said, "No, I mean he's mine forever!" She rolled her eyes. I was serious.

After 3 weeks of talking on the phone(he had been restricted to post), he asked me to marry him. That's 5 weeks total!

October 1, 2008, we celebrated our 25th anniversary.

I still get weak in the knees when I see him.

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:03am
post #35 of 64

I met my DH at our community theatre. I work there full time and I used to volunteer for every show in some capacity or another (before children). He showed up at an audition for a show I was assistant directing.

The romantic part is when he proposed two years later. We were doing a show called "Tuna Christmas" which is a quick-change show--he and one other guy each play 12 people. I was the costumer and backstage dresser.

He had my boss arrange to have me bring out roses that were supposedly for him from his parents from the back during the curtain call. Then when I walked down with these roses, a big sign came down from the ceiling that our set painter had painted that said "I love you Bonnie, will you marry me?" and it had a rose painted on it. The stage manager gave him the ring and he got down on one knee in front of 260 people (most of whom were our friends) and proposed. He's not romantic often, but when he is he's very romantic.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #36 of 64

My DH of 16 years, as of Oct. 3, was my boss. We first met when I started a job at a new company, I'm a computer programmer. I met him on my first day and thought he was about the biggest jerk I had ever met. He wasn't my boss yet, just a co-worker, but an expert on the system we worked on. He still laughs about sending me home in tears but I deny it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, after 2 years, he becomes boss and settles down and I realize he is okay but we have never spent any time alone away from work or talking personally. We end up making a business trip to Wisconsin together. For the first time ever in 4 years, we spent time together and away from work. He was a completely different person and it just 'clicked'. icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif We decided this wasn't going to work since 1) he was my boss and 2) 15 years older than me 3) I had a boyfriend of 7 years (but I had been trying to break up for 8 months) and much to my surprise 4) He had a girlfriend!!! icon_eek.gif We didn't have a clue!!

But, love won out, we both broke up with the other people, got married 11 months later and have had 16 wonderful married years together. It was quite a shock for everyone we worked with because we didn't let anyone know until right before we got engaged and we were only engaged for 3 months before the wedding. Thank God for business trips because he was definitely not the type to date a co-worker and he would never have asked me out.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:36am
post #37 of 64

If you want to hear romantic stories I am full of them....they just ended too soon. (I dated a lot)

I met my husband in California, while on Active duty in the Marines. We were in the same unit and did the same job. It was really wierd because from the moment I saw him I was in la la land shhh.gif I was very quiet about it and we didn't speak to each other at all. I asked my roommate how old he was and she said 19. I was 21 at the time and I didn't like dating anyone younger then me. He was sort of shy anyway and I was very outgoing and loved meeting new people. I remember about 3 months later I went on leave (vacation) and came back late one night. I was with my roommate and Curtis asked her if she wanted to go out to the club (military guys like to have a Female around when they go out) and she of course said no. His friend looks up at me and asks me if I wanted to go. Mind you I had just gotten back to California from Rhode Island and I was supposed to be tired. So I gave him the excuse that I was broke. Curtis then looks up at me and says I'll pay your way and I'll even buy you a drink. I asked him how old he was and he tells me he's 20. (lieing roommate) I got dressed and let my hair down (he noticed every detail) and went out with them. On the ride over there Curtis sat in the passangers seat and I sat in the back with his friend. As the night went on I noticed he had been drinking. He asked me to dance and I started dancing with him and all of a sudden I feel him kiss me on my neck and my knees just started buckling........ icon_surprised.gif Oh man I don't know what he did but I couldn't stop thinking about that night.

Months later, I start flirting with him and he starts flirting back (AT WORK!!). Then another night a really good guy friend of mine asks me to go out with him and a couple of guys and I of course said yes. I go to get in the car and Curtis is sitting in the back seat. He gets out and asks me if he could talk to me for a minute and I said sure. ( we had never had a real conversation, just innocent adult flirting). He begins to tell me that we were all staying out of town and that he knew that I wouldn't feel comfortable staying in a room with all these guys and that since he worked with me he felt more comfortable with me having my own hotel room and that he would pay for it. (Marines do take care of their own) I thought that was really sweet. Well we went out had a great time. During the last song, it was a slow song, I grabbed him to dance and I made my move and we had our first kiss. icon_wink.gif
When we left the club we went to the hotel and we got a suite, with a separate bedroom. He slept outside the door to make sure that noone tried anything stupid. I woke him up at 8:00am and invited him in to watch tv. We talked all morning until checkout time and then headed back to base.

After that we talked "low key" for about 6 months and eventually everyone figured it out because he snuck over to say hi one night because he couldn't stop thinking about me. He was very romantic. I remember one day I had told him that noone ever thinks about me and I started telling him about my life and how I realized that my family never really gave a crap about me. (that's another story) He came back from work and I was standing outside and I see him go into my room. I was confused and when I walked in and he was holding a bouquet of red roses and I cried. I cried even harder when I read the card. It said " just when you thought no one gave a damn about you". He asked me to be his girlfriend and that hope fully one day we could more than that. After a year together we moved off base and lived together. Two years into the relationship they were trying to split us apart because we had some very jealous people around us that didn't want to see us happy. I recieved a phone call from him and he asked me if I wanted to marry him tommorrow. I said yes and we got married the next day. It was just us and I was so happy.

We both left the military in July of 2007 and he moved out to Florida with me. Since my mom had just moved out here and we were not financially ready to go elsewhere. We finally got our own place in January of this year and we are both going to college until the recent change of events.

After being established 10 months he recieved a letter in the mail being recalled back to active duty. He is being shipped out in March of '09 right around my graduation date. He will be gone for 12-15 months and we will continue to live our fairy tale when he returns.We have been together for 4 years and he has been my husband, my best friend, and my guardian and I will miss him dearly while he's gone. icon_cry.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:52pm
post #38 of 64

Curtsman--I feel for you. My DH and I are both former Marines.
You sound like you have a great guy who is crazy for you....that's all that matters. I wish you 2 the best and that his deployment goes well and uneventful. Whenever my DH and I would get shipped somewhere we would always say "Until then" so that way good-bye was never said. It's hard but you 2 will make it because you were meant to be together.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #39 of 64

Thanks mkolmar...that's what I tell him now. I'll see you later. He smiles and says "I know you will go to the end of the earth to find me and you will". I know it is going to be hard but I have faith that everything will turn out well. I am trying to be very supportive and make his time with me stress free. I do love him dearly and it took me a very long time to find him. He tells me all the time that I could have chosen to be with anybody else and the other Marines would ask me why I was with him. I told them all, including him, that he was special and that noone could love me the way that he loves me and that love is more important to me than material things. I tell them that a relationship like ours is very hard to find nowadays and that I will not trade in what I have for anything else in this world. thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #40 of 64

can i play?? i met my dh in college. he worked in our campus computer lab and was friends with my roommate, but i didn't know him. me and my roommate were taking a walk around campus and she suggested we go to the computer lab to check our email, which i thought was weird because i had a computer in our apartment. he came over to say hi to her and she introduced us. the next thing that happened was weird, he started giving me a shoulder massage. i was like, 'who's this weird (but cute) kid rubbing my shoulders??'

the next few days, he thought of everything he could to invite my roommate (and her cute friend - me) over to his apartment. i started crushing but was devestated because he was graduating in 4 days and i was still a sophomore.

we were bound and determined to keep in touch and stay friends. (he was bound and determined to win me over). we were best friends for a while (while i was getting over a bad breakup) and then ended up dating. we've been together ever since! (10 years!)

don't forget about the how you met your girlfriend/wife/partner stories!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #41 of 64

Have you ever seen the movie "Fools Rush In"? That is almost exactly how it happened with us, except we did know each other and it's his parents that are very religious and mine that easy going. 10 years later and still going strong icon_lol.gif

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #42 of 64

My teenage son had a ring that he could not get off his finger, no matter what we tried. My mother suggested that I run by and see her jeweler of 15yrs to get the ring cut off. We did, the ring was cut off and the jeweler and I were married 5 months later icon_smile.gif

He is the best husband and dad to my kiddos ever! thumbs_up.gif I'm very thankful...

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #43 of 64

I met my DH in a grocery store parking lot. I was driving around one night with my best friend who had been recently dumped by a guy that worked at that grocery store. The store was closed, but she wanted to drive by anyway (the goofy things teenage girls do!). Just to be silly she starting doing donuts (driving in circles) in the empty parking lot, which attracted other teenagers in cars. My future husband was one of the guys who drove up to find out what the heck we were doing.

Here's the clencher. We got married after I graduated high school, divorced after 3 kids and 7 years. Eighteen years later we remarried each other. Guess it was meant to be.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:24am
post #44 of 64

The first time I met my DH he was holding his infant daughter and his mother introduced us. He barely acknowledged me, but I got a good look at him and I never forgot, even though I didn't see him for 9 years after that! 9 years later at his father's oceanside restaurant/bar one night I asked him to dance, although I had never seen him dance with anyone before. He was so quiet and shy I didn't even think he liked me! Well, he danced with me and that was the start of a beautiful relationship. We just celebrated 12 years married and we have 2 children together. Before him I'd never had a relationship that lasted more than 5 years and I was so cynical I didn't even think it was possible. He totally made me believe in forever!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:03am
post #45 of 64

i had moved to nashville to pursue my music career, 4 months after my brother was killed. i realized that you have to chase your dreams, and i went after them. only a month after being here, i met and started dating a musician who plays for a well known country artist. he was out of town alot, touring, and i was falling hard for him. we dated for 8 months, but he broke it off with me cause he was pretty messed up from other relationships, and it was really affecting ours. i was absolutely devastated!!!

i had been working downtown at the wildhorse saloon for a year, and most usually worked evenings and always weekends, but for some odd reason, 3 months after this breakup, i wasn't on the schedule that saturday night...at last...a weekend of peace!! i took a nap until about 9 that evening, woke up, and decided to head downtown to catch my friends as they got off work...they would always walk up the street to get an after hours beer. i noticed it was lightly misting rain, so i threw on a cowboy hat, a little bit of makeup, and headed downtown. for whatever reason, i chose to not park in the usual parking garage, and chose a different lot. i had to walk about 2 blocks to get to the wildhorse, so i'm walking with my head down so as not to make eye contact with anyone...there are bars all along 2nd avenue, and i didn't want some drunk dude trying to hit on me. i did notice a whole group of people coming out of one bar, and falling into step right in front of me...

suddenly, a deluge comes down...and i'm not joking. it was like someone just started dumping buckets of water all over us...i darted under the nearest storefront awning, as did this group of people, and im wondering when the hell the rain is going to stop, cause i don't make small talk too well. this dude next to me is yapping away, and i can tell he's been drinking. another dude is talking to me, kinda flirting, but i have absolutely no interest, cause i'm over and done with relationships!! suddenly, the guy next to me starts talking about a party they're going to be having at the apt complex in about a month or so, and would i like to come. i had just gotten a cell a couple of months before, and i really didn't think the guy would even remember meeting me, so i gave them my number. AS SOON AS I HANDED HIM THE NUMBER, THE RAIN STOPPED!! we started walking on down the street, he says bye when we get to the wildhorse's door, and that's the end of it, i think.

next evening, the phone rings and wakes me out of sleep that is so deep it's like a coma and it's him...for the first 20 minutes, i jsut remember thinking that i wish he'd get the hell off the phone so i could get back to sleep...4 hours later, we hang up. the next night, we talked for 5 hours.

after 3 weeks, ex boyfriend contacts me and i start to really feel like i'm not doing the new guy right if there is any indecision whatsoever still left in my heart. i let him know this, and he says ok...i go to work, confused as hell, and about 2 hours later, i round the corner and there he is, sitting at the bar...IN A GREAT PAIR OF SHOES!!!!

my heart melted right then and there, cause no one had ever came after me..ESPECIALLY NOT SOMEONE WITH STYLE icon_biggrin.gif ...it was like i was always the one chasing...but he took a chance, and here we are, almost 7 years later and one beautiful little 4 year old girl!!!!!!!

we have definitely had our ups and downs with two miscarriages and now 6 months of infertility, we've had deaths, and we've had problems....but i still want him to be my "forever".

starla

ccr03 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 6:07pm
post #46 of 64

Awww.....

all4cake - that is such a 'movie' story!!!

Really, ladies, these are great stories!!

The great thing is that all of these stories are so pure and nature - and you just know!

ccr03 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #47 of 64

OKay, I know I was the one to start this and I am going to resurrect it. Call me a dork, call me goofy - I call myself a hopeless romantic.

I'm still single, but Mr. Myspace (my name for him) makes me smile. We met over myspace and are just friends. We haven't met in person, but we are from teh same town/village in Mexico so he's not a complete stranger.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #48 of 64

I met my husband on friends reunited dating after a really nasty abusive marrage that I ended after 10 long and rough years.

We arranged to meet after just one very short email message that I picked up after returning from a lovely single trip to Malta and Paris. I was supposed to be at a wedding reception (work) but as an excuse to get out I met this wiered guy that had sent me an email asking if I would like to message him back and chat icon_redface.gif I sent him a message explaining my evening plans and he asked if I would like to meet him that evening icon_lol.gif
We met at Midnight in a very lonely and dark carpark off the motorway and I left my car and climbed into his (I know risky) and I never went home. I moved in with him and we have been together ever since, We have 6 kids and a very happy life. Love at first sight you might say but until that night I did not believe it was possible icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:58pm
post #49 of 64

Hubby and I met at a wedding. One of his childhood friends married one of my sorority sisters. We got married one day short of 7 months later. icon_biggrin.gif

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #50 of 64

I met my husband in high school, he was my physics honors lab partner, then my biology honors lab partner the next year. We remained friends throughout high school and went to the same college. We never dated, I thought of him as a geeky brother. At college he was the guy who set up my computer and fixed things when they broke. Meanwhile I got into a bad relationship that ended with the college guy leaving me in the hospital after having a baby,my "geeky brother" became the godfather of my child, after a two years he had to move back home to help with his dad who was dying of cancer, we had always lived close to each other and now we were two hours apart. I had never noticed before how much we had grown to rely on each other. Then his dad died on Thanksgiving , it devastated him and me his dad was such a wonderful man. Then my grandfather died on Christmas of the same year. After the season of funerals instead of celebrating we vowed never to be apart again , we dated for a year and then my sons godfather got promoted to stepfather. I gave him a makeover and the "geeky brother" is now a wonderfully supportive husband.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #51 of 64

I got excited when I saw this thread because I'm hoping to find a "prince charming" soon and need all the help I can get. But then I got angry when I opened the thread because you're all liars!

This stuff doesn't really happen! icon_cry.gif At least not in my world... icon_redface.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #52 of 64

Okay, Jammjenks, your sweet story had me cracking up and crying and Mkolmar and All4Cake, you guys had me crying.

I don't have a romantic story. I met him at work and even though I didn't know it until after we started dating, he had been eyeing me for a year, but I never noticed him. He finds it so hard to believe I never checked him out. icon_rolleyes.gif

ccr03 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:54am
post #53 of 64

No, ardee - no liars!! I believe it all! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I'm gonna share my sister's story (the one who is gonna get married this year). Like 15-16 years ago the youth group director told her to go talk to this one guy because he was a really nice, good guy. She sat next to him and tried to talk to him but he kinda blew her off. Well, fast forward to two years ago. Through a new group of friends she started talking to this other guy (which I totally did not like!). Original church guy was part of their circle of friends. Things broke off with him and things started up again with church guy. Apparrently he did like her back 15-16 years ago - he was just nervous! He has said - I waited 15 years for you. Awww, I love their story!!!!

Kellpepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellpepper Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:33am
post #54 of 64

I met my Huggie in prison.......................

He is a sargent and I run the Food Service Department.

Huggie was a friend from work, a nice guy who had a 13 year long policy of not dating co-workers. I had a crazy ex-HB of 6 weeks who keep stalking me, calling me, and breaking into my house. I wasnt sleepingI was so stressed I was losing my hairHuggie let me borrow a phone recorder and he met me after work to drop it off. I asked him to take me to get a coke and 4 hours later I woke up from the best nap ever. The poor guy literally drove around a town on 800 for hours so I could sleep. We were on the phone constantly and he even got in trouble at work for spending too much time in my office. Still he had his policy, no dating co-workersblahblahblahUNTIL.I hit a train on 2-6-08 @ 10:23 am on my way to work. icon_eek.gif I luckily walked away, but he said when he drove up and saw my car in pieces he knew it will kill him if I were hurt. I lived across the street from him for a year before we married and we just celebrated our first anniversary on Valentines Day.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #55 of 64

I was in a crummy relationship for over 4 years with a few "breaks" and "splits" during that time. During one of the splits my cousin tried to set me up with a guy in her office. We emailed a few times but never set anything up and I ended up getting back with jacka$$ exBF and getting engaged. I left that sorry piece of junk, will be 2 years in July, spent my summer hanging with girlfriends and enjoying myself.

Fast forward to October 2008, guy my cousin tried to set me up with 2 year prior had moved to a different office in NYC but went to drop off football tickets to a buddy in my cousins office, she gushes that he has to meet me etc...he emails me and we and we met that Saturday October 11, 2008 (blind date, never saw him before) and we have been together since. I love him and can not believe I lived this long without him. We are both 25 and not completely set in our careers but do plan to get engaged and married.

Adree, I was cynical but I am a believer, there are good men out there!! They pop up when you least expect it. I took a leap (was never a fan of blind dates) and who knew, here I am. I have the best BF, his family is amazing, our families get along magically and I love him more than I could have ever imagined!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:03pm
post #56 of 64

I met my husband on a dating website icon_surprised.gif

ccr03 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #57 of 64

REally Mug-aBug??? Wow - I'm still afraid to go on them.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #58 of 64

Yeah, really. We didn't tell anyone we met that way for a long time, but I'm over it now. We've been together 6 years. Don't be scared, just be careful.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #59 of 64

I have a friend who met her husband online. They have been together for 8yrs now. You do have to be careful meeting people on line though. Before my friend met her husband, she had met this guy who claimed to have all this money. He had a nice appartment and said he owned everything in it.(nice furniture and pool table and stuff) He had some nice sports car that was "in the shop". He worked for a cable company, so he had a company car. He promised her a trip to disney world. She ended up moving in with him. Then started getting phone calls from Rent-a-Center saying he was behind in his payments. When she asked him about it he said they had the wrong person!! So she did some investigating, found out he was lying about everything. Rent-a-Center came to the door one day and she let them in to confiscate all their stuff. Then moved out!!

When she met her current hubby, they went to her mother's. She went out of the room and her mom looked at him and said "If you're not who you say you are, you better say your prayers!"

I met my DH through my mom and step brother. My step brother does tattoos. So he makes alot of friends this way. My mom was at my step brothers and DH was there and she over heard him say he hadn't had a girlfriend in a while and needed a date. So she gave him my phone number. We met a few days later and have been together for 8yrs now and have 2 kids.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #60 of 64

I met my husband long before I met my husband icon_lol.gif

One morning as I was leaving for work, I went out and discovered an rock had gone through the back window of my truck, shattering it. There the rock lay on my front seat amid the shattered glass of my window. I was so annoyed and pissed and had to outlay money I didn't have for a new window. I picked up the rock thinking to save it for evidence, but it was a very unique rock in size shape and I really liked it so it wound up in my room and then in the stuff of my life in my vagabond existence at the time...fast forward 4 years, I am living with my sister and her boyfriend and a friend of his came over (DH of course), we hit it off right away, becoming inseparable within days and married within months. As we were unboxing our belongings when setting up our first household, he came across my rock and asked me where I got it..I told him the story and that I had kept it because it was such a pretty rock...He stared at me for the longest time with the oddest look before finally confessing his story...once a long time ago, some friends and he were out drinking and cruising around, one had a sling shot and gave it to my husband who proceeded to shoot out the back of a truck window, he said he held the rock for the longest time cuz he really like the rock and considered keeping it but he shot it anyway. That was the only rock he shot off that night. The truck window he shot was my very own truck window He has now been paying for that broken window for 24 years...and the rock has a special place in our house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%